Credit Card # Required?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Perryross38, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Perryross38

Perryross38 New Member

Dec 29, 2009
    I called CS to have a guy come out to install an additional LNB and hook up a TV. The service call would be $49 which I'm okay with (not really but whatever). I ask them to please bill my account. The rep says they don't do that anymore and wanted my credit card #. I ask to speak with a supervisor to see if this is indeed SOP and Terrence tells me yes it is. Okay, fine. I give him the CC # and expiration date. Then he asks for the security # on the back. I refused and told him I'd call back.

Here's the question: What person in their right mind would give out this information to a perfect stranger? Is this really D* standard operating procedure? Especially for a customer who already has an account in good standing for the past 7+ years?

2. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    If you called them why do you doubt that you're talking to someone representing DirecTV?

Do you give your credit card to a waitress at a restaurant?

3. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    The requirement for the 3 digit code is actually to protect card holders. There is no way that 3 digit code can be put on an imprint and is never put on a receipt. That means the only way to get it is to have the physical card at some point. You can always order online as well and it will ask for the same thing.

4. jasonki32

jasonki32 Godfather

Jan 29, 2008
    In my opinion that woul be SOP. My business requires it for Verification to prevent chargebacks. Along with that we need billing address and zip code. This also gives me a lower rate credit card rate since the physical card is not swiped. It is for the consumer protection so we can verify the you indeed are the cardholder.

5. tralfaz

tralfaz Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Oct 31, 2009
    Ummm, anyone that uses a CC via phone.

Is this your first Credit Card?

6. Perryross38

Perryross38 New Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Thanks to all for their opinions. I'm not usually this paranoid but for some reason this wasn't passing the smell test for me. It seems if there is an account present (versus a new customer) they could simply bill the service call to your account. That doesn't seem unreasonable and asking for a credit card did. I guess I was looking for someone to confirm my worst suspicions with a story of identity theft or credit card fraud directly attributable to giving a D* CSR a CC#.

7. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    While it's not impossible, the fact is that anyone who sees your credit card has the opportunity to use it for fraud.
    In DirecTVs case they try to take precautions (at least within the centers) to keep people from bringing their cell phones in (so they're not distracted but also so they're not jotting down or texting account/telephone/cc numbers), as well as keep people from bringing any unofficial paperwork out.

8. dconfer

dconfer Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    I had my dish realigned last week and they billed the 49.99 to my account with no problems.

9. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    And there are a few reasons that might be the case:

- You were getting a service call, not having anything new added to your system.

- DirecTV might already have an active credit card on your account.

- Your account history may be a higher grade than the OPs, which might carry different requirements.

The point is that it is NORMAL for companies to have different rules for different customers and/or different situations. And it is very normal for DirecTV to want to have your credit card info if you are requesting an upgrade.

10. dconfer

dconfer Legend

Nov 18, 2005

I dont have a cc on my account never did. Also when I got my HR20's three years ago they billed them to the account also. I do agree with you on diffrent rules for the accounts. Was just saying that they still do bill to accounts.

11. Perryross38

Perryross38 New Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Just to bookend this discussion...

I got a call today from Customer Retention or something like that. Customer Liaison? Anyway, a very nice young lady arranged for the service call and was able to bill the account.

So, happy ending.

12. jasonki32

jasonki32 Godfather

Jan 29, 2008
    Glad it worked out for you

13. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    thanks for updating, all to often many don't and we are left wondering.
    glad its worked out for you.