Credit check

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Smitty5511, Sep 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smitty5511

Smitty5511 Member

Sep 3, 2014
    I was on Facebook reading the complaints about Directv and someone suggested to one guy that he subscribe to Dish. His response was "But the first question they asked me for was a credit/debit card number to run my credit." Do they ask for this or was he just not telling the whole story? Thanks!

2. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Both DISH and Directv will run a credit check before they accept you as a customer. Both do have options for those that fail a credit check.

3. Smitty5511

Smitty5511 Member

Sep 3, 2014
    But is that the only way they will do a credit check? If so, I'll just forget it. I'm not giving them my credit card number nor my debit card. I've had my credit checked many times but I didn't give my card numbers.

4. iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    usually they ask for your social security number. can't recall anyone asking me for a credit card number. but, its been 3 years since the last time my credit was checked.

5. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    It used to be if you didn't have a credit card DISH would set you up as a pay as you go customer. You had to buy your equipment and pay for it's installation, then pay a month in advance for programming.

DISH required a credit card so they could charge you for ETF if you didn't live up to the 2 year contract.

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Right, the credit card is just to secure payment in case you decide not to fulfill your obligations. The only way to do a credit check is by providing your social security number

7. Blackloz

Blackloz New Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I know a few people that instead of using their actual credit card to sign up they used one of those preferred customer reloadable cards & keep just enough money on the card to pay the bill each month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Thanks to Target I had 3 credit cards replaced, and thanks to Home Depot I'll have at least that many replaced again.

D* is probably sitting on more than just a few very old credit card numbers.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

9. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    DirecTV won't take these cards as your default card. You can pay with them, but for the card on file it must be a."real" card

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    same reason why I only use the PayPal Debit card. After the Target fiasco, PayPal replaced the card automatically

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

11. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Oooooh, use one owned by Meggie's Auction Barn!!

Smoothe move.

(Yeah, I know Meg bailed and went to ruin other lives, but still .... )

12. CeeWoo

CeeWoo Godfather

Dec 1, 2008
    I asked a question like this on the Direct boards a while back and got blasted by the people frequenting that board. LOL
    With all the ID/bankcard theft problems over the last couple years, I get really nervous giving anyone any of that info. And all I wanted from Direct was some price info and they wouldn't give it without running a credit check first

13. Smitty5511

Smitty5511 Member

Sep 3, 2014
    This is exactly why I'm not giving out that information. I'll keep Directv before I do that! I was included in the Target mess also. I would rather have Dish but not if that is the price I have to pay. Thanks everyone for your information!

14. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Dish does have a no card option where you don't have to purchase the equipment and you still get the current promos. You still have to do the credit check though and you have to qualify w/ decent credit as long as that's the case you can choose the option to pay a $90 no card fee and then Dish will give you $3 off your bill for 36 mos for a total of $108.

15. Smitty5511

Smitty5511 Member

Sep 3, 2014
    Thank you for trying to help but apparently this has been discontinued or else the lady I talked to didn't want to offer this because she didn't mention this option. She told me if I didn't provide the credit card #, then I would have to purchase the equipment. I told her "There are too many hackers out there today so thanks, but no thanks!" I do appreciate you trying to help me out though.

16. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Dumb question time... and I understand the fear of hackers and credit card fraud... but if you're afraid to use your credit card, what's the point in having it?

The major banks and retailers have all been hacked in the last few years... so based on that, there's nowhere left "safe" to use a credit card, is there?

17. CeeWoo

CeeWoo Godfather

Dec 1, 2008
    LOL-by that reasoning, I should just post my CC numbers here ;)

18. Orion9

Orion9 Legend

Jan 31, 2011
    Sure, if you dislike your current CC number, post it on the internet and they'll send you a new one. If there's nothing wrong with the current number, I would just use it as it was meant to be used.

If you watch the news too much you might never leave the house - only the news will tell you that that's bad for you too! :)

19. CeeWoo

CeeWoo Godfather

Dec 1, 2008
    you missed the operative word 'should' ;)

20. Orion9

Orion9 Legend

Jan 31, 2011
    Sorry, I'm not going to tell people that they "should" post their CC number on the internet - just agreeing with you that doing that would likely result in a new card number.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.