1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Critique my work.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by revolg, May 17, 2012.

1. revolg

revolg AllStar

Apr 7, 2012
    So I figured nobody is perfect in this world and we all need to be open minded to try to be a better tech. So I've decided to start putting pictures here in this thread of various installs,upgrades and service calls.

image-42503557.jpg

this is a stubby I put up for a guy that had a old wobbly dish. This was a upgrade receiver swap from a hr20 to a hr34. I did try the stubby Clearence between the lnb and the roof before putting bolts in it lol.

2. Justin85

Justin85 Legend

Jun 16, 2010
    Is this in an area that gets much snow? My initial thought would be snow accumulation may cause a problem since the LNB appears to only be a few inches off the roof, same goes for the reflector, since it might collect snow, and its placement doesn't exactly make it easy to clean off.

3. Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
    As a homeowner I would be happy with it. I am a big fan of the stubby mounting post. My neighbor just had one installed and looks very clean being nice and low to the roof. I am considering changing mine to the stubby mount but like my wife says, if it aint broke why mess with it.:grin:

4. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    It would be helpful if the OP listed his general location in the UserCP.

5. revolg

revolg AllStar

Apr 7, 2012
    Memphis Tn.

6. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Hi All
    I had a very low to the roof dish and it worked fine, but when it rained the splash effect of rain on the roof killed it in short order.
    I dont think most people realize how much splash you get in a heavy rain.
    Think of it this way, you get the rain drop when it comes down and then again when it splashes.
    Twice the rain means more rain fade.

SSTV

7. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Not bad. Not a big fan of the cable routing though. I would have ran it in the guttter and hidden behind the drain pipe.

8. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    For future reference though, remember that the official name for the "stubby" is now called the "ODU Easy Mount" ;)

9. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The bends are probably too tight in the facia lower edge traverse. The minimum bend radius of RG6 is on the order of 1-3/8". The numbers for quad shield are closer to 2-1/2".

Transmission characteristics will likely drop off (perhaps not enough to worry about) as the cable becomes elliptical in the tight bends.

A good UV-resistant white would have been less of a standout.

10. revolg

revolg AllStar

Apr 7, 2012
    image-2173047210.jpg

image-3321114412.jpg

11. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
  12. revolg

revolg AllStar

Apr 7, 2012
    I would agree there. But this guy was super anal about it at all.