1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CSR Roulette time...HR21-100 died

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gio12, Aug 17, 2013.

1. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    My just over 2 year old HR21-100 now freezes daily, to the point of a RBR is need, so I called DIRECTV today to replace it.
    Now the fun has started! I have the PP, so I know I would get a replacement asap.

Made the call and sat their and waiting on my cellphone for 30 in to speak with a nice lady is AZ. Yo keep the story short, I repeated my issues and problems at least 15-16X on whats wrong and got the same question and canned response over and over. How many times can I repeat myself and can the CSR ask the same question? Felt like a Police interrogation. Its a DVR!!!!!

After a 34 min phone call, test and repeating myself, I as told I have to call when its frozen to diagnose AGAIN, before I would get a replacement. I finally said goodbye and just hung up. :bang :nono2: :soapbox:

Called back, kept hitting 0 till I got an operator. Asked for a Sup in the PP dept. First young lady offered to help and I said why not. :sure: Within 2 minutes I had a new DVR on the way! Sometimes the right person is such a pleasure and I thanked her for her time.

DIRECTV is the one CSR dept I HATE to deal with. But when I get DO get a knowledgeable CSR, I remember why I stick with DIRECTV. Problem is, their CSR are horrible, but tier few good ones are outstanding!

So...what will get get? Another HR21? Possibly a HR24? I have a HR34 Genie and I am in SFLA. My HR21 was fine and I know a lot of people complain.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    You'll get what they ship to you. As to CSRs it's a luck of the draw. Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you don't. Your first call to DirecTV went nowhere fast. Why you chose to waste 34 minutes with that CSR is beyond me.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The TS's problem is solved.
    For any others with problems and need to call DTV for a replacement this is what I do:
    As soon as I realize that the person is not going to help me, I thank them and tell them that I have to go and I will call back when I have more time.
    I hang up the phone, wait about a minute and call back. When the machine answers I do confirm that the account is on the phone number that it reads to me. After that I keep saying Tech Support to every question. Takes about 2 minutes for a live person to get on the phone.

It truly is random as to what you will receive. My HR23 died in late may and I got a Refurbished HR24-100. It is much better than the HR23. Good luck with the replacement.

4. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    CSRs are rated on how many ERPs they send. So some of them just "play" dumb and pass the buck to the next rep. This is the kind of policy from DirecTV that really bothers me as it prevents good CSRs from doing the job properly.

5. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Peds: "ERP"?

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    ERP = Equipment Replacement Program. A few years ago (believe it or not) techs were not allow to replace defective receivers while on site. if a tech determined a customers had a bad receiver, the tech called ERP where a receiver was drop ship to the customer. this is no longer the case, but the name (ERP) stuck to refer when a CSR does a receiver replacement.

So my comment was that DirecTV rates CSRs on how many ERPs they send. if a CSR have too many ERPs for a particular month it can affect how they get pay or at least a chance on promotion ..... :nono2:

7. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    So far my basement has had four HR21-100s in a row and now a dying HR21-200 [Lots of partial recordings, deleting a recording knock it out of my MRV network]. They generally last from six months to a little over a year. So now I only record things on it that I don't mind losing. I keep asking for a HR24 when they finally completely die, but always another refurbish HR21 shows up.

I'm waiting until DirecTV allows two Genies, so I can insist on an upgrade. I figure that's at least two mo' refurbish HR21 replacements away.

8. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    That sucks! Yes, I don't record the important stuff upstairs on the HR21. Again, it was very reliable and replaced a crappy H22. This was my main DVR before my HR34. They HR21 replaced the HR20 that finally died upstairs. That was my first DVR and an owned one that replaced a HD Tivo. So I have had good luck and only replaced 1-2 DVR for failure over the years. 1 HR22 and a HR21 now.

9. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Because I tired to be nice. The conversation was 10 min with her. rest was hold time waiting and her going back and forth wit something.

10. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    It's tough coming up with meaningful call center statistics/parameters on which to measure performance. While on the broad scale, staying with the averages works, an individual CSR (a good one who knows what they are doing) could still get caught behind the numbers and knows they need to not send a replacement (or do whatever) for the rest of the rating period. A really good system not only has the general metrics, but also supervisors who are actively involved and know when they have a CSR who just throws replacements at a problem to get the caller of the phone, and a CSR who really properly pursues ssues and ends up sending more than normal replacements on occasion. But that costs more to do, so few call centers would even consider it.

11. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I had an HR21 with a 15 code. the first CSR made me (try at least) do a format on the hard drive and call back when it was finished. Obviously I called back again and got a replacement sent right away.

12. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Sorry, but a coincidence of four straight HR21-100 replacements follow by a HR21-200 is in my opinion unbelievable.