1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CSR still in dark about "searching for authorized content"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by JimP, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Jan 1, 2010 #1 of 13
    JimP

JimP New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    The CSRs are still in the dark about "searching for authorized content". We recorded a PPV movie and then tried to watch it a couple of days later. We got the dreaded "searching for authorized content" 3 minutes after confirming the purchase. The CSR went through the litany about having to watch the movie within 24 hours. I had heard that line before when they didn't know why it happened. Doesn't D* have their CSRs even use their systems? We ended up waiting 25 minutes until the start of the movie we wanted to watch and then purchasing and watching the movie "live". This is with an R15-100 SD dvr so the issue is not only with HD.

2. Jan 1, 2010 #2 of 13
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Is your R15 connected to a phone line? Is it working?

This message usually means that the DVR is not able to successfully report your PPV purchases.

3. Jan 1, 2010 #3 of 13
    JimP

JimP New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Yes, the receiver is connected to a phone line. We recorded "Julie & Julia" earlier in December and watched it on 20 Dec. We were able to watch "UP" last night "live". What was different about "UP" versus "Julie & Julia"?

4. Jan 1, 2010 #4 of 13
    ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Something may be wrong with your phone connection.

The receiver will let you purchase PPV even if the phone line isn't working. However, it only stores a couple purchases (3?) before it disallows future purchases until it can report in to DirecTV. Maybe that is what happened.

In any event, the easiest way to solve the problem is just to order PPV via the website. This way you also can watch them on ALL your receivers.

5. Jan 1, 2010 #5 of 13
    Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    How much are you allowed to charge on your PPV Bill?

You can Select How Much you want to be allowed to accrue before they cut you off if you haven't paid your bill.

6. Jan 2, 2010 #6 of 13
    TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    I went through this a couple of months ago with a PPV college football game. Purchased and set the game to record. Went to work and when I tried to watch it later that night, all I got was "searching for authorized content". Called tech support and was told that it should start working within 24 hours.

It never came back but I was billed the $30 for the game. Called and got a csr that didn't speak English very well. She didn't seem to understand my problem and wouldn't credit my account. So I called back and got the billing department, who reviewed my notes and gave me the credit. They also gave me some extra monthly credits for my troubles even though I never asked for anything else. :joy:

7. Jan 2, 2010 #7 of 13
    Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    If I get a CSR that can't speak English with any company I just hang up after saying "We must have a bad connection, I can barely hear you." and then I call back until I get one that can actually speak English that I can understand.

Also, I always ask to talk to a supervisor or Level Two CSR as normally the First Line CSRs just read from a script and are not that knowledgeable about anything other than ordinary problems.

8. Jan 2, 2010 #8 of 13
    CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    It's unfortunate. Everyone is trying to do their job. Some can speak clearer than others, and have been using english longer.
    I was surprised to find out that a large majority of DirecTVs call center employees (including the 3rd party call centers that handle DirecTVs calls) are right here in the U.S., with only a few centers outside the continental states (in comparison).

What do you think most the 2nd tier CSR's do?
    And the supervisors?

In DirecTVs case, as far as I know, CSRs aren't given a line by line script, but they are given a database with problems (like extension numbers) as well as guides on black-outs, etc.
    That's why most CSRs come to the same conclusion for a problem but not all exactly the same way.
    "1st tier" I would imagine being customer service/billing. Unless the technical support line is like 95% full, if you ask the automated system for technical support, you will get technical support. If the technical support line is full, depending on how fast the csr's are clearing the line, you'll be placed on hold, or you may be transferred to a multi-department CSR (like when the grocery store calls a checker to come out of produce because they need a hand getting customers checked out of the store).

Anyway, my point was that, assuming Tier 2 is referring to the technical department... They share the same tools. Some just know how to use them better than others.

//
    Back to the topic at hand.
    Sorry. As far as I am aware, there is no cure for Searching for Authorized Content. There is no way to magically make that content play either. I get this on my inactive DVRs a lot. I'll reactivate them but cant play any of the recorded content because they weren't active at the time of the recording and therefore not authorized.

9. Jan 2, 2010 #9 of 13
    Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    There is a vast difference between Level 1 CSRs and Level 2 CSRs or Supervisors in my many many experiences with them and I have spoke many many times with "Customer Retention Department" CSRs and they are on a much higher level as far as Experience and Customer Relations that the Level 1 CSRs have no clue about.

I refuse to even speak to a Level One CSR as it is just a waste of my time. I explain my situation and the politely ask to speak to someone with more experience and more power to make things happen.

It has worked for me on many many occasions.

10. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    This message has nothing to do with a phone line. Since it was a PPV it was a broadcasting issue. If it were on a normal show it's due to recording a show you don't subscribe to. If it was a show you subscribe to or a PPV a reboot usually fixes it.

11. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    You might be even more surprised to learn that a lot of DirecTV CSR's WORK FROM THEIR HOME!! And from what I've found, they are the most intelligent CSR's with the most up-to-date knowledge. I spoke to one just a few weeks ago asking about an upgrade to HD and how it involves my R22 and she knew all the answers!!

12. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Had you told me that early last year, I would've told you that your eyes were brown.
    But now... I would imagine a rough 10-15% of CSR's in certain departments work from home.

But at home or in a call center, it's not going to change the 'Searching for Authorized Content' that the OP is seeing, and frankly, I don't think there's any way to 'fix' it.

13. Knowledge

Knowledge AllStar

Oct 30, 2009
    Searching for Authorized Content:Customer would have seen OSD 721(721-Service Isn’t Authorized) if watching live, but OSD "Searching for Authorized Content" is displayed upon playback. This is usually when you have reached you cap limit on your ppv. Phone line issues can cause an error in reporting charges on the card and are stored to a limit. Check to make sure if you have DSL that a filter is on the line running to your receiver, run a system test to see if you get a Diagnostic Code 72 or 73 to detect if there is a phone line issue as well. You can also Call D* and request a forced callback to your receiver to get charges stored on your card as well to make sure it is clear. If all else fails contact D* and request a Technical Issue Escalation to be submited to the National Escalation Team. This is at this point, a broadcast issue and the National Command Center needs to be alerted.