1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CSRs

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jodyguercio, Dec 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Ok Im going out on a limb here....

There are bad CSRs and good ones I have found.

What is the root cause of this?

1) Lack of training
    2) Attitude
    3) Other

2. braven

braven Hall Of Fame

Apr 9, 2007

There are good dentists and bad dentists, there are good school teachers and bad school teachers, there are good lawyers and uh well there are no good lawyers but you get what I'm trying to say. It is what it is.

3. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    The problems with DirecTV's customer support seem to be systemic rather than individual.

Although there may be some bad CSRs, the problems suggest that the cause of the problems are the way that DirecTV hires, trains, informs, rewards, or supports their CSRs.

But from the outside looking in, it is difficult to identify which of those issues is the real problem.

If 20 CSRs give 18 different answers to the same question, I don't know if that is because DirecTV failed to provide the right answer to the CSRs, or DirecTV failed to train the CSR where to look for the right answer, or the system provided by DirecTV makes it unreasonably difficult to find the right answer, or DirecTV rewards CSRs who provide the wrong answer as a way to get customers off the phone quickly and punishes CSRs who take time to understand the question and research the right answer.

4. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    As with all service oriented businesses today and due to everything being so price oriented, quality customer service seems to be a thing of the past.

5. jodyguercio

Aug 16, 2007
    I posted this in another thread but I'll add it here as well......do you think that maybe todays workers just dont really care about their jobs like say our parents or grandparents did or raised most of us to do, work hard for the money that you are paid to do that job regardless of the job?

6. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Most of todays employers are huge conglomerates, many owned overseas, who care only about the bottom line, not their employees. Years ago there were many small family owned businesses who knew their empoloyees and customers on a one to one basis and cared about both.

7. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006

That wouldn't explain why other companies (like American Express or L.L. Bean) are able to provide far superior customer service ... and even when mistakes are made they are able to correct the mistakes, while DirecTV seems incapable.

It is easy to blame the people on the phone, but the reality is that DirecTV probably does not provide what is required for those people to do their job properly.

Of course, the lack of proper training/information/support/etc probably means that DirecTV CSRs who care about quality become frustrated and quit. And the ones that remain are the ones who don't care, or got burned out and no longer care.

8. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    Over the years I have found thast the best customer service expierence is the one where you get everything you want from a companies representitive and the worst customer service expierence with the same company is the one where you don;t get anything that you wanted from them.

9. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    Yes, this is generally true. I also predict a number of people will take great offense at that statement though. Reluctantly in their defense, DirecTV CSR's are very hit and miss, mostly miss.

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I don't expect any tier 1 CSR, whether it DIRECTV's or anyone else's, to know as much about my issues or my setup as I do. I'm not trying to be arrogant but I do my research and Tier 1 CSRs are there to help people who don't. They're not well paid and they only know what the knowledgebase tells them.

I consider tier 1 of customer support in any case to be an extension of hold time. I'm nice to whomever I get on the phone but my goal is to present the issue in a way that makes it as obvious as possible that they can't help me. So then they send me to someone who can.

On the other hand, once getting past tier 1, I have gotten consistently friendly and helpful people at DIRECTV. Perhaps not as knowledgeable as I am but remember, this is their job... this is my passion.

Maybe the best tack would be to remember that CSRs are actually people, who sometimes have bad days, sometimes get hollered at for things that are not their faults, and deserve the kind of dignity that you do.

11. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006

That's true.

When I call a customer service department, I want the following things: accurate responses to my questions, consistency, fairness, and respect. If I have a problem that needs to be resolved, I expect the representative to listen to my problem and either help me resolve the problem or direct me to someone who can. If I have a transaction which needs to be completed, I expect the transaction to be completed accurately and in a timely fashion.

If I get those things, I think the customer service experience is great, and when I don't it think it is terrible.

12. jodyguercio

Aug 16, 2007
    And most if not everyone would agree that that is what they are looking for. But as Stuart said right above yours, the bottom line is that CSRs are people too and as people we aint perfect so we make mistakes.

13. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    Jody -- As I indicated in post 7 in this thread, I have no problem with mistakes. They happen everywhere. But how mistakes are corrected often separates good customer service from poor customer service.

And I don't get mad at the individual DirecTV CSRs for poor customer service. I believe that they are also victims of their environment. But I do get mad at DirecTV.

14. JeffBowser

Dec 21, 2006
    Let me make an analogy here, if I may. Today I had a school system in the northern reaches of our fine country call me up and demand a 46 thousand dollar refund on software I sold them. Naturally, I am aghast, and ask why would this be so. This lady got all self-righteous and indignant that I'd even ask the question, and was blowing a fuse. She said our service was the worst she ever had, and she'd be reporting me to my superior (not knowing that I am the owner of the company at this time). I said, OK, well, let's get everyone together and see what the problem is so we can resolve this. Long story short (too late?) 12 out of 1000 (yes, one thousand) or 1.2% of her computers, were failing to run my software because they had set a security policy on these particular Windows computers denying my software run rights, and my technician, a week ago, had given them the fix. For these 12 computers, with a problem not of my creation, this woman had herself in a froth and told us we were the dregs of the earth.

Perception of a company and its service is very much a thing of the customer getting what they want, regardless of the facts. People are only looking for what's in it for them, they don't care about facts, they want their own needs met, period.

Look past the end of your own nose - what's going on, and why ? Is it really the fault of the CSR, the company, or are you just lathering yourself up in self-righteous indignation like a big baby ?

Disclaimer - I am not directing this at anyone on these boards in particular, so in advance, don't get your panties in a bunch :lol:

15. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Jeff, that's a very telling story. People are quick with superlatives when they think it will get them a discount ("This is the worst, the sloppiest, etc.")

I would never accuse a DBSTalker of such, but maybe the CSR you just talked to isn't terribly hospitable because the call before you was a total nincompoop who demanded 2 years of service credits because the batteries in the remote ran out.

16. JeffBowser

Dec 21, 2006
    :lol: :lol: :lol: Man, I bet you are not far from a true story at all, with that one.

17. jodyguercio

Aug 16, 2007
    But why get mad at Directv, they may have trained the CSR in all the right things to say and do but if said CSR just flat out doesnt want to be there or doing that job then its that persons fault not Directvs, but then again the CSR is doing his/her job and helping resolve issues you have and Directv still cant get it right then thats Directv's problem and being mad at the individual is not right at all.....

18. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Pretty good analysis; I've designed MANY CSR systems that utilize 'script driven' Q&A to narrow things down, and have come into several companies/systems to give client's a 'second eyeball' on things.

Invariably, a lot of the systems, as designed, simply made way to many 'assumptions' as to both the technical facility of the CSR folks, or made way to many errors in actually coming up with a logical way to troubleshoot the product.

One generally has to sit down and try and figure out 'what were they thinking..' when they designed the scripts. Then of course they compound the problem(s) by giving poor or misleading training to the CSR folks. In the few times I've had to call DirecTV on various things, both personal and for my clients, I've instantly seen both 'effects' at work.

But I see that simply because of my background and experience. Every once in a while I'll get someone who's bright, and still not 'beaten down' by the 'system', and it's a bit of a joy to talk with them at length about how things actually work (electronically or mechanically), or the 'history' of DirecTV.

If I was close to one of the CSR centers, I might look into a part-time position doing training, as I've spent a fair percentage of my career doing such to many clients, and the personal rewards in doing so are high (at least to me!).

19. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006

But Jeff, you left out the most important part of the story -- the part that would let us know whether your company provides good customer service or not.

WHAT HAPPENED NEXT?

Did you give her a refund?

Did you help the school system fix the problem?

Did you tell her that she's a ninny and hang up on her?

PLEASE TELL US THE NEXT PART OF THE STORY.

20. hankmack

hankmack Legend

Feb 8, 2006
    In the 6 or 7 years I have Direct I have probably had to make 10 calls. All were handled correctly. No problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.