CT scan probably saved my life

Discussion in 'The OT' started by jimmie57, Apr 2, 2021.

1. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    This might help someone.

In July 0f 2020 I had a cat scan for a totally unrelated reason. The man that read the scan saw and documented 2 tumors on my right kidney, he saved my life. He also reported on my lungs, heart, bladder, liver and prostrate.
    I highly recommend a cat scan if you have anything wrong that might be visible on this.

March 5th 2021 they removed my right kidney. One tumor was 4 cm and the other was 2 cm.
    They were designated as Stage 2 cancer after the operation with no signs of it anywhere else.

Since then I have been reducing my BP meds. I have been on bp meds since 2001. There were 4 of them. Been to the ER with high BP several times in the past few years.
    Now my BP just keeps going lower and lower. Today , 4 weeks after surgery, I am only taking a 25mg of metoprolol er once and day. Not taking any of the other meds for BP.
    This morning my BP is 121-72-57.
    EDIT / UPDATE: 6 weeks since the operation and I now do not take any meds for high blood pressure.
    Pressure today 116-66-65.

If anyone would have told me that this would happen I would not have believed them.
    The Urologist and the Nephrologist said that this happens a lot.

One more thing related to this. For the last several years if I ate a Edit: removed half pint of ice cream in the evening, my head would sweat during the night as I slept.
    I have always been told that it was that my sugar level spiked.
    A few night ago I ate a half pint of ice cream in the evening. When I woke up the next morning there was not a drop of sweat on my pillow.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    TXD16, AZ., Rich and 2 others like this.
  2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I highly agree. A CT scan can be amazing. I had one for frequent migraines, and they found an unrelated pituitary gland tumor, ordered an MRI annually. It had grown .3cm in 5 yrs, but is so far not affecting anything critical where surgery would be required.

They (Veterans Administration) are also running a low dose CT scan on me annually as a previous smoker on a pilot program for early detection of lung cancer (negative x 5 years so far).

Glad you are on the mend.

PS ... I also eat nightly ice creme. My one vice left.

jimmie57 likes this.
  3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Ice cream late at night is an invitation for another kind of cancer: stomach cancer. Ice cream is relatively difficult to digest and when it is all gone, your stomach is often still fired up and may go to town on the lining. Red meat is another thing that gets the acid running on high.

4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Proving no matter what -No one gets out alive

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I stated evening, not late at night.
    I do hear you tho. Everything will do something undesirable to your body.

6. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I've been an ice cream lover for almost all my 90 years. I used to eat a pint after a hoagie when I was going to high school. But never late at night!

7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    usually I always eat my ice cream after supper (2-4 hours before bedtime).