Cubs Vs Cardinals

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by jimbo09, May 3, 2008.

1. jimbo09

jimbo09 Godfather

Sep 26, 2006
    With all three games of this series on national TV; Friday on Superstation WGN, Saturday on FOX as the National Game seen my most viewers (blackout restrictions apply), and Sunday on ESPN, can you see the Cubs and Cardinals Series ever getting as big as Red Sox/Yankees?

As far as I can recall, the Cubs have the Ryno game, circa 1984, and taking four of five from the Cards in early September 2003 as the only memorable "important games". I don't know if the Cardinals have any big defeats of the Cubs, since the Cubs were never really in contention for all the years the Cardinals have been good.

2. John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    The eastern elite establishment would never allow it.

3. kbuente

kbuente Legend

Mar 25, 2007
    I'm glad they are tied in the series going into Sunday night's finale...

Saturday's Fox game was in HD....and so will Sunday night's game on ESPN.

Go CUBS!

4. Satsince1978

Satsince1978 Mentor

Jun 28, 2007
    WGN's game was also in HD! I Ment OTA of course!

5. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Legend

Mar 19, 2008
    Cus-Cards - Never as big. It lacks the trappings - things like the curse of the Bambino, Bucky Dent, Bill Buckner, Dimag vs. Teddie Ballgame, and on and on. And don't forget how ownership has come to the fore with George and the Sox calling NY "the evil empire". And all the stars over the years with their own aura - Mantle, Berra, Yaz to name but three. And then there's the Rangers-Bruins, Knicks-Celtics, etc. that cause fans to pair off. So, what do the Cubbies-Cards offer besides a great park in Chicago and a Cubs 0-fer since 19-0-something? Nothing that stirs the emotions. (Do Cubs-Cards fans travel to each other's park and have fistfights in the bars before/after games?) Ernie was a great player but a Banks-Musial comparision lacks the buzz and magic that builds great rivalries. Dodgers-Giants could have it, but CA is too laid back to get caught up in something as intense as a rivalry. (Though, having said that, Laker fans might be an exception.) Nope, it's nothing to do with the eastern establishment, it's all about passionate fans all over the country hooked on their team and hating that "evil empire"!

6. jimbo09

jimbo09 Godfather

Sep 26, 2006

Yeah, that isn't likely, and I hope it doesn't go there. I think that each team has passionate fans, too, but midwesterners are different in that respect (well, except for White Sox fans). Seeing Carlos Zambrano throw Red Schoendienst to the ground in a melee is not what I want to see...

7. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Legend

Mar 19, 2008
    Strange thing is, the Cubs have all the makings of a "nation", but that last ingredient seems lacking. If they had held on and got to the series against the Red Sox, that might have put them over the top. They now have the fire with Lou P as mgr, but the apparent unwillingness of ownership to pop a few extra $$ and go get that big star like a Manny or Beckett (please don't tell me about Soriano), to compliment a strong farm that also spends to develop young players might be where they should start. And the lack of a rival that generates similar passion hurts. Too bad the White Sox aren't in the same league - Ozzie and Lou would come to blows just changing line-up cards!

I do agree, a one-armed pitcher and a senior citizen wrestling does leave something to be desired. BUt inside 98mph fastballs sending messages sure stirs the pot. Also, making the Yankees stand there in 2005 for 45 minutes while the Sox celebrate 2004 WS rings does crank up personal rivalries .