"Curious" Question about programing

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Clato, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clato

Clato Banned User

Aug 30, 2007
    hello all, Hope U R well,
    just a curious question,or observation,
    With Directv offering Spamish speaking channels & overseas programing,
    I wonder if DTV would offer a 'box" or converter that would would change the language back into English.
    or
    is that possible?
    to broakcast the program in one language, then have it show up on our tv's in English?

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    1) They offer a singificant amount of international programming...

2) Like a "universal translator"... that technology is not really there.... at least no where near at a price point that it would be even in the ball park of an average consumer.

The programs, can most certainly have multiple audio tracks... but that is up to the content provider to offer those.

3. Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    Not unless the program creator/distributor has English as an alternate audio track included within the broadcast.

If it does, your current D* box can select that audio stream. Just like picking different audio streams for the "mix" channels.

But, no there is no "box" to convert other languages to English "on the fly". Maybe several years from now, voice recognition will beceome good enough to make such a device. But, the only universal translator I know of today is on "Star Trek".

4. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I don't know .. I've found that sometimes it's quite interesting watching shows wher e you don't exactly know what they are saying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.