Current DISH Pricing

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Davenlr, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Mar 2, 2021 #1 of 35
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    [ Referring to the 10 year old posts in Dish Network FAQ Thread ]

I am not sure if the posts in the beginning are up to date, so Ill just ask here and get chewed out or maybe get an answer.
    1: Does Dish allow self installs if you buy the dish? (I like to do stuff myself when possible)
    2: If I buy a hopper 3 and 2 joeys at SolidSignal, and install it with #1, will Dish create a new account for me?
    3: If I own the Hopper3 and joeys, do they drop the charge for the two joeys? For the Hopper3?
    4: If all the above are yes, what Dish/lnb is required for Hopper3 on western arc currently?

Yes, I know they will install it free, but I am getting tired of changing providers, and am looking for a long term option at the lest cost. I plan on saving $12 by not having locals, something no other provider allows, and calculated the hopper3 would pay for itself in rental fees in 28 months, unless I have something wrong. My goal is less than $60 per month for Dish120, which according to their website would include CNN, MSNBC, FOX News, FS1, NBCSN, ESPN1 and 2, ID, and FXX. Those are the ONLY channels my household watches from linear TV.
    Thanks for any help here.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2021
  2. Mar 2, 2021 #2 of 35
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Probably not for a new account. Solid Signal may give you an honest answer or you can ask DISH and see what they say.
    See above
    There is NO difference in monthly receiver fees whether you buy them or lease them. The Hopper3 has its $15 DVR fee which is the same whether owned or leased. The $5 Joey fee is there whether owned or leased.
    Regardless of the above questions, the dish is going to depend on what Nielsen TV market you're in. Eastern Arc dishes are used in Eastern areas and Western Arc dishes are used in the West.
    You've made a horrible assumption that owning equipment has any impact on monthly charges; it absolutely doesn't. By choosing self-installation, you forfeit any promotional discounts otherwise available to new subscribers and you pay for all of your hardware and installation. The only time doing it your way makes any financial sense is if you plan on starting and stopping service a lot.
    Not going to happen with a Hopper 2 or Hopper 3. In fact, since you want to self-install, you won't get the monthly discounts and the AT120 package alone (less locals) will be $65.99. The Hopper fee is $15 and the Joeys are $5 each. There are probably other piddly fees, an RSN fee in particular, on top of those.

You might be able to nip off $5 by using a Fire TV device in place of one (and only one) of the Joeys but you're otherwise looking at a $90+ dollar bill for what you've said you wanted.

On top of all of that, by not doing a commitment, you're not eligible for the two-year price lock.

3. Mar 2, 2021 #3 of 35
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    OK, thanks. Guess Dish is out of the mix then. Ill just stick with ATT TV until something cheaper comes along. Sure get tired of this hopping around.
    The reason I specified the West arc is because I cannot see the east arc here in the woods, but can see from about 95 to 135

4. Mar 2, 2021 #4 of 35
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That changed this year. DISH now charges less for an additional owned receiver than an additional leased receiver.

5. Mar 2, 2021 #5 of 35
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    So the hopper 3 is still $15 a month whether I own it or lease it, but the Joeys are cheaper if I buy them? So confusing. Do you have a link to the current pricing? Their online signup doesnt allow selecting a hopper 3.

I was almost temped to see if I could get DirecTv to reactivate my old original account which has my owned HR24, and two H24's on it...and just send me 3 access cards...but I know they will find some way to screw me over.

6. Mar 2, 2021 #6 of 35
    harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I've read that but I've also read that owners aren't getting the expected $10 break on the Hopper 3.

The discounts for owned equipment are less than the programming discounts for new customers.

Then there's the up-front cost of the STBs ($229.99 + $96.99 + $96.99), DISH 1000.? ($100 give or take), Solo Hub ($6.99) and other goodies that have to be factored in. That's pushing past $600 at the aforementioned retail establishment just for the hardware to save $14/month on box fees.

7. Mar 2, 2021 #7 of 35
    harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Assuming you had a DIRECTV account, AT&T will set you up with a new AT&T account and require different leased equipment and a professional installation. Even with new subscriber discounts, you'll surely be paying much more than $60 as the equipment-related fees alone are more than half of that.

8. Mar 2, 2021 #8 of 35
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I just returned their HR54 and C61K after 8 months, because they agreed to send me an access card to activate my HR24, and then sent me a refurb HR24 instead, and then couldnt get it to work and wanted me to pay $99 to send a tech out when it was just their box they sent while mine complete with 2TB hard drive was working fine just lacking a card. I got pissed and called their retention department to cancel, and they waived the ETF and transferred me to ATT TV to set up an account so I could keep my $20 internet bundle discount, but that expires in September, so I am hunting for other options. I dont mind ATT TV, but it doesnt have red zone channel which I will want next football season. I have a house full of gamers, so internet with caps is out of the question. Currently, my ATT fiber is cap free, but not sure what will happen in September when they kill the bundle deal.

9. Mar 3, 2021 #9 of 35
    harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I knew about your DIRECTV fantasy from the complaint thread you started. I was surprised you brought it up again since it wasn't possible to get it done.

There's a reason that the DIRECTV Average Revenue Per Unit (ARPU) was more than $116/month when they last offered a number in 2015. Even figuring in the somewhat less expensive streaming offerings, I recall a more recent number around $110/month.

DISH's combined (with SlingTV) ARPU before the recent price increases was $93.47.

10. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    why not just do a two year and get all of the deals and goodies??? it would be cheaper to cancel out vs buying the dish hopper 3 and joeys. if you buy your own stuff dish will put you on there prepaid service with no goodies no discounts. you'll be paying more right out the door. though once the 2 year is over then you can buy your boxes and dish will let you add them to your acct. though i have no clue about discounts with owned boxes after the second year. though i don't see why they would not give discounts to someone with owned boxes as long as there a good paying customer...

11. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I wasnt aware of all that. I was just noticing the dish sign up page didnt offer the hopper 3, and Solid Signal sold them. Thought maybe it was cheaper if you bought your own equipment like it was with Comcast. If I do sign up, I will definantly call and get the freebies and 2 yr guarantee and tell them I want a Hopper 3. Right now, ATT internet went out for an hour about a week ago, and came back on, and I have not had a single error on ATT TV since, so they must have fixed something.

12. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    DIRECTV wont reactivate an old acct i dont think

13. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    it would be alot cheaper doing a 2 year than doing it your way. doing it your way you have to buy every little thing. 229.99 for the hopper 3 and 150.00 for each 4k joey plus a 150.00 activation fee dish calls it wich includes the install were at 679.99 not counting taxes and fee's and your first month of programming.. it's not that hard to get out of the contract if they are not providing you the service that your paying for or things just outright are not working and you gave em a chance to fix it. in todays world it makes no sense to own anything like this with the way things are changing. what would you do if dish went belly up tomorrow your stuck with all of them boxes that you won't be able to use!!! i also belive that leasing includes things like power surges as well. i know that DTV did i dunno about dish though.
    and it gets worse doing it yourself depending on your living situation. i know where i am dish won't go on the roof so i would also need to buy the node and the dish as well and then pay more for a third party to come out and install it for you lucky i already had one on my roof. if you live in a high rise or a loft there picky to where they install thanks to there insurance policy

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Davenlr likes this.
  14. Abe12

Abe12 New Member

Jun 11, 2020
    Harsh was correct on those questions. As a long time Dish subscriber I was offered new equipment when contract was up but was told equipment install was normally required by a dish person. Even as a pandemic reason dish refused to let me upgrade a 4k joey from a regular joey. They would give me the free upgrade but wouldn't budge on letting me install. I cancelled the 4k joey install.

15. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    The first Hopper 3 has a $15 DVR fee. Subsequent Hoppers or any Joeys are $5 each for owned equipment.

16. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    There are other reasons to do your own install. I can do a better job with pointing the dishes than many installers. I can also install my equipment when I want it done. I can repair my own equipment, replace LNBFs. It isn't the money. Myself, I have always bought and never leased. I know when I bought my first Dish 300 back in 99, I would stay with them. In early 2000s I updated to Dish 500. Later on got rid of my 2700 and bought the vip211k upgaded to the 1000.2. I added dishes to the 148 for BBC World at the time, then moved it to the 61.5 position. I might add, I installed my big dish back in 1985, so hooking up the smaller dishes are a piece of cake. It isn't for everyone, but for me it works well.

17. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Yea, I read where the LNB has an option for a "side dish". If I did get Dish, I would kind of like to use my 1.2 meter KU dish (or gasp, my 6' prime focus dish) to get the satellite with most of the HD channels on it to avoid rain fade.

18. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Not quite the way it works. When a channel is on more than one input there is no controlling which version one gets. So pointing the regular dish at the "arc" and adding a side dish pointing at one of the satellites in the same arc or the other arc would have unpredictable results. (If one is HD and the other is SD one can choose the version, but if one receives two HD feeds of the same channel number one cannot choose which one they are watching.)

With some work you could use multiple single satellite dishes and the old DPP LNBs and switches to build a system with bigger dishes. Use a DPP switch to combine the feeds then feed that to the node for the rest of the system. It would take additional equipment if you want a Hopper 3.

19. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Sounds complicated, but I sure have enough FTA dishes in the garage to do it :) I wonder how big a thunderstorm it would take to knock out the signal with a 6' dish. I was using the 1.2m dish with DirecTv with a custom mount for the 99/101/103 LNB and it took a hell of a storm to knock it out.

Now that you can stream tho, it wouldnt be worth it. If a storm comes up, just flip over to the Dish Anywhere.

20. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I went through that with the 61.5 30" wing dish. I often would receive the 61.5 signal at 10 degrees above the horizon and that was an issue with rain fade. I could never solve that until I removed it. I thought it was BBC World, but it was KBS World. It was free if I had that wing dish. I think Dish dropped it some years back.