1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Current HD DVR Unit Model 2011

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by daybyday, Jan 21, 2011.

1. daybyday

daybyday New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I need to change my HR20-700 in order to get 3D. Would you folks tell me what the current model of HD DVR is out and, based on your experience and knowledge, what would be the best one to buy, and recommendations on where to buy it. DIRECTV sent me an HR21-200. The channel changing response time has gotten painfully slow. Please advise. Thanks...

2. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Welcome to the forum, daybyday. :) Have you been a lurker for a while? I lurked almost three years before I made my first post.

The current model is the HR24. It has three different manufacturers, the -X00 part of the model number, and they all seem to be about the same. It's much faster than either your HR20 or HR21 and seems to be more stable, too.

A popular place to get one is Solid Signal. They are $199 there.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The latest model is the HR24 and it offers improved speed.

Try DIRECTV first and see what they will offer you.

I would expect that you shouldn't have to pay more than $180 to enter into a leased HR24.

Be very careful about checking with DIRECTV on the true status of "owned" equipment.

4. daybyday

daybyday New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Thanks. Yes, I did come here for several years before but not in the last two years. My old TV failed and I want to make current my electronics when I change it all out. This will keep me good for many years to come. It is a lot of work and expense but worth it if done informed. I have read questions about the need for B sideband converters with the new unit. I have them now on my existing unit. Do I need them again?

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I doubt the HR24 will keep you good for many years to come, but it all depends upon your needs (current and future).

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Technically the HR20,21,22,23, and 24 units are all "current." Realistically the odds of getting an HR20 or HR23 are fairly low.

If you are so inclined, solidsignal.com seems to be the best for getting the exact model you want.

7. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    I thought all the current HR2x models were OK for 3D.

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Nope. The HR20 has not been "enabled" for 3D.