1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Current TV to be available for $5 per month a la carte

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by dennispap, Sep 21, 2012.

1. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    "Starting September 20th, add Current TV to any package for only $5 a month - or get it included in America's Top 200 package and above."

http://www.mydish.com/perks/new-channels/

2. TheFoxMan

TheFoxMan AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    Marion, Iowa
  3. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    I wonder if this a la Carte business is going to be the future? Customers have been asking for it since the big dish echostar days. Regardless rest assured providers won't lose a dime....

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Not at $5 for a channel that is one of a couple of dozen if purchased in a tier (AT200 in this case). Some of that goes for additional bookkeeping but when a higher tier channel is offered a la carte simply upgrading to the higher tier often makes more sense.

5. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    Huh......? :lol:

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I was replying to your "Regardless rest assured providers won't lose a dime...." line.

Some of that $5 is burned by keeping track of who is paying it ... some of it goes to the channel provider. But there is some profit in a la carte. There would be no point in offering channels a la carte if everyone was not making money.

7. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    Thanks, that's what I thought and that's what I though I said. ;)

8. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    $5 for a la carte is a rip when you can get the entire tier for $10 more, unless the a la carte channel is in top250 and you are in the lowest tier.

9. Oct 2, 2012 #9 of 14
    jajone13

jajone13 New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Has anyone tried adding the channels from the lowest tier?

10. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Well, yeah... but that's the point most people miss when they want a la carte... they think the a la carte channel will cost a dollar or less, but it won't.

If someone literally only wants that one channel, then they save $5... otherwise, you're absolutely right that they should just get the whole tier as it is a better deal.

11. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I think Charlie wants lots of a la cart channels.

12. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    It's now worth 5 cents. How many times can they replay their documentary of how evil Walmart is? Sure, they're a bunch of greedy bastards, at Walmart, but they play it to death!

13. jamelar

jamelar Cool Member

Dec 30, 2010
    In the hey days of C-Band subscriptions, many al carte stations would cost the subscriber .80 to $1.50 per month. The computer / subscription setups at the time certainly didn't burn $4 in keeping track, it shouldn't now.

Having said that, in many cases, by the time you added what you wanted, some package deal would give you what you want and lots more for little extra cost.

14. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    Yep back the Skyvision had some great deals....also loved Green Sheets! he has awsome stuff to sell !!!!