Customer Support = Good; Engineering = Bad

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dminches, Sep 10, 2021.

1. dminches

dminches Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    I have been without a working Genie and associated clients for 10 days now. There is a system issue which is not allowing them to disconnect my minis so they can deactivate my Genie and replace it with a "new" one.

On the positive side I am working with an "advanced support" woman who calls me every day, sometimes twice, to update on what's going on. She even called me on Labor Day.

On the negative side, the back office cannot figure out the issue which is likely buried somewhere in the programming. The support woman says that in her 10 years at DTV she has never seen this issue.

She told me she could delete my account and give me a new one and that would solve the problem but she doesn't want to do that since I will lose over 20 years of loyalty.

I will hold tight until later next week and then ask for new account if this isn't solved.

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    One mustn't confuse doing battle with the authorization system with anything resembling "engineering" in the traditional sense -- it is a failure in software design (an entirely different "engineering" discipline).

krel likes this.
  3. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    I never had to deactivate my minis when replacing a genie... I got the new genie and called the activation line and the new genie was on

4. dminches

dminches Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    What you don't realize is that the system deactivated your minis and then reactivated them. That's how the system works when it is working.

krel likes this.
  5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Always good to see you, David. How did this happen?

Rich

6. dminches

dminches Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    Hi Rich.

It ended up being bad data that someone entered into the system. My equipment wasn't fully linked to my account.

The CSR finally got it resolved and now I am good to go. She has called me every day for 2 weeks and still calls to make sure things are still up and running. I also received a lot of credits on my account to compensate me for the issues.

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Glad everything worked out well. Did you get the impression the service from those you spoke to had improved?

Rich

8. dminches

dminches Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    MY CSR said they were spending a lot of time on the AT&T to DTV transition. I did get the sense that they will be in maintenance mode for satellite and spending more resources on building up the streaming service. They didn't say that but that's my feeling.

MysteryMan likes this.
  9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The streaming service certainly needs help ... and it is the easiest to leave since all streaming subscribers already have stream capable Internet service.

DIRECTV does need to pay some attention to satellite - just enough to correct AT&T's apparent ignorance of the service for the past couple of years. But streaming needs major attention.

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Here's hoping that DIRECTV makes important changes rather than minor corrections.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Did you get the impression they knew what they were doing or did you have to lead them thru the process?

Rich

12. dminches

dminches Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    This is a case where they knew what they were doing and I was not any help. There was bad data in the system which they need to find and eradicate.

Rich likes this.