1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CW 38 scranton broadcasting digital widescreen?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by captaink5217, Nov 28, 2011.

1. captaink5217

captaink5217 Legend

Sep 20, 2011
    Just a question but I noticed the last couple of days my standard def cw 38 has been broadcasting sd shows with black sidebars and the normal hd shows full 16 x 9 digital ws not hd. Is this a sign that the channel may go hd soon, hopefully?

2. ke3ju

ke3ju Legend

Aug 18, 2006
    Stroudsburg,...
    That would be nice. I haven't watched CW38 since I upgraded to high-def...

3. dconfer

dconfer Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    Dont tease me. I have been waiting for this.

4. marker101

marker101 Legend

Nov 6, 2007
    WQMY does this as well, since that's also an SD channel. Sucks that I can't get it to stretch to look correctly on my receiver. Squish!

5. Ronmort

Ronmort Godfather

Apr 23, 2002
    I wish DTV would also add 38-2, Me TV. I get a great picture of that channel on an indoor antenna, but it's only on one tv.

6. PA GIANTS FAN

PA GIANTS FAN AllStar

Mar 28, 2009
    Frackville PA
    Channel is no longer 4:3. It is full screen for a while now.

7. kwasnicka

kwasnicka Mentor

Aug 23, 2011
    The Pittsburgh CW channel is not an HD channel and when the fall season began the series like Vampire Diaries and Supernatural were being shown in letterbox widescreen mode but after a few weeks that ended and now it is back the old stretched 4:3 screen. If we are not going to get CW in HD then they can at least let us have the letterboxed widescreen version.

8. HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY Legend

Apr 11, 2007
    north east pa
    i have a outside antenna but i cant get 38-2

9. Dec 1, 2011 #9 of 15
    Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    No. The black bars means you're watching SD. Nothing more.

10. dconfer

dconfer Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    I flipped over last night when the vampire diary was on and I still have the black bars on the side. My HR24 is set to native so I dont understand this.
    I also have comcrap because of internet and I checked their and it was in full wide screen and high def of course.

11. captaink5217

captaink5217 Legend

Sep 20, 2011
    Well, I actually got a call back from fox 56 who also broadcasts cw, what they said is they make cw available to directv in the Scranton area in hd and they don't charge anymore for directv to carry it but that directv chooses not to carry it in hd directv feels that cw in hd is not important enough in this area.

12. marker101

marker101 Legend

Nov 6, 2007
    Last I read, the Fox 56 folks were holding CW HD hostage to DirecTV until they agreed to carry My Network TV. Well, now that WQMY is on (though in MPEG4), wonder what the deal is?

I'll have to check the 4x3 squeeze format next time to see, last I knew everyone was squished....ala ESPN SD.

13. captaink5217

captaink5217 Legend

Sep 20, 2011
    MY has been carried for a while, it's been off air for the last day or so maybe they're renegotiating

14. PA GIANTS FAN

PA GIANTS FAN AllStar

Mar 28, 2009
    Frackville PA
    Earlier this week, WOLF-TV engineers discovered the transmission line at their main broadcast tower had been irreparably damaged, which interrupted the over-the-air signal for its affiliates.

Effective Tuesday, December 9th, the Fox affiliate (WOLF-TV) will be temporarily broadcast on digital channel 28.2 and the MY NETWORK affiliate (WQMY-TV) will be temporarily broadcast on digital channel 22.2. Engineers estimate that replacement of the transmission line will be completed over the next six weeks.

Three high-powered bullets pierced a transmission line for WOLF-TV on Penobscot Mountain on December 4th, causing the line to fail and affecting coverage in parts of the station's viewing area. Despite the damage, 90 percent of the viewers in Northeastern Pennsylvania are able to see FOX, The CW and My Network TV without interruption

15. PA GIANTS FAN

PA GIANTS FAN AllStar

Mar 28, 2009
    Frackville PA
    All channels are back on. They are all SD.