D* First Impressions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by patrick77, Dec 13, 2011.

1. patrick77

patrick77 Cool Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I just switched to D* after 12 years with Dish. The HR34 finally prompted me to make the move. Here are my first impressions after three days (please let me know if I am wrong about something):

1. Wait, what?! The receiver is hooked up to my local broadband internet, and it can send and receive data from D*'s server, but I am unable to click on a PPV movie and order it through the GUI????? I have to have an archaic phone line plugged into it?? This is dumb and a pain in the ass.

2. Do not like how the 30 second skip is basically a fast forward. Prefer the instantaneous skip. This is making me prefer the actual FF button to skip through commercials as I do like its ability to guess where I meant to stop.

3. Not enough show information. When looking at a show in the guide on Dish, I would always look to the episode number and the original air date. D* does not give this. Or even a note as to whether it is new or not.

4. The guide order should be programmable, I much preferred ascending channels but I'll probably get used to this.

5. It would be nice to see some icon in the guide next to a program that is already set to be recorded (or that it was skipped).

6. Too many buttons to press to get to a different custom guide list.

7. The speed at which the guide channel list can be scanned is awesome. Nice job.

8. Whole home DVR setups should have the options to share custom guide lists.

9. My setup is one HR34 and two HD receivers at the other TV's. The HMC solution is almost perfect but there is one major flaw: the inability to pause live TV at the two remote TV's. Yes I know the remote receivers are not DVRs, but you're telling me that with 5 tuners on the HR34, it cannot just roll tape on whatever the two remote receivers are watching? Even if it was just a 30 minute rolling buffer that would be adequate. If I want this option now from a remote TV, I have to tell the show to record then go into the List and start it.

That is all.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You should not need a phone line. Internet connected should have no issue ordering PPV via remote. However, doing it via remote only authorizes on that box. If you order on the web, it's all boxes.

By default, the behavior is 30 second slip. If you do a keyword search for 30skip, it will change to the way you want. Do a Smart Search, enter 30skip, then the red button for a keyword search. It won't find results, but will enable 30 skip. To go back is 30slip.

Some of this is not available. However, keep in mind that some data is downloaded over the first 48 hours and may not be available right off.

This may work with an RVU client, not sure. It would use a tuner on the HR34.

3. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    Don't understand number 6? Using the 'info' button, you just go to the Favorites tab at the top of the screen and select whatever list you want.

4. skew

skew Cool Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Also if you think its fast now wait till the new HD Gui is out for the 34 it will be nuclear meltdown fast.

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Number 5:

If something is set to be recorded, it will have an orange circle with an R in it in the guide.

6. patrick77

patrick77 Cool Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Ahh, thanks. I was going through the yellow button.

7. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    5. It would be nice to see some icon in the guide next to a program that is already set to be recorded (or that it was skipped)..

In my guide if a program is set to record I see an orange circle with an R in the center. If its a series record there are 3 stacked circles.

8. Whole home DVR setups should have the options to share custom guide lists.

Not really interested in that one. My 3 DVR's are all set up differently, but I understand why you want it.

9. The HMC solution is almost perfect but there is one major flaw: the inability to pause live TV

RVU clients will do this based on what limited info I have been able to find about them. Your HD receivers have their own tuner and aren't being served from the HR34.

I forget which number was guide in ascending order, but the guide is in ascending order by channel number. What exactly did you mean there?

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Consider that the OP has only one DVR. If there's one or two users, it may be nice to have a single guide across all devices without having to do a lot of editing and updating.

9. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Have you attempted to order a PPV with the remote? If you cannot and the receiver is connected to the internet then they just need to change a setting on the account to allow it. Should take you less than 5 minutes.

10. patrick77

patrick77 Cool Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Yes I have. And I even called up support last night and the guy told me over and over it could not be done without a phone line. And I was never able to make it work. I will try with a different CSR.

11. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Press the More Info button. It will give you the air date. But it does not tell you if it is new or not sorry.

This may come in the future and would be a nice addition. RVU clients (which is what the HR34 was really for) see just the one guide.

As some have said, the RVU clients use the tuners in the HR34 but you have an H25 or similar. This has its own tuner when you watch live tv.

Though you may not know it there is a way to get what you want with your setup. When you are watching live tv and want to pause it, press Record on your remote on the other receiver (in your bedroom) and it will set the HR34 to record and then you can play back from there and have the features you mentioned.

12. tunce

tunce Godfather

Jan 19, 2006
    That CSR was completely misinformed. Sad really, I do it all the time.

13. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Keep in mind, I said I get why he would want it.

14. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    To reiterate the phone line, the absolute only feature you'll lose by not having a phone line hooked up, (and it's successfully connected to the Net), is Caller ID.

Have you tried going through the network setup, just to make sure it's connected, getting a valid IP address etc?

15. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    I havent had my receivers connected to a phone line since about 2007 when we first hooked them up for VOD etc. So there is something on your account that is blocking it. It is certainly do-able.

But do make sure you have an internet connection on your receivers.

16. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008

You can do that or just send them a quick email and tell them that you would like to be able to order PPV through the remote and you have your receivers connected to the internet.

17. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    That wouldn't stop it the system is setup to not allow it. If it was setup in the system he could order now without a line connected it would just turn itself off once it couldn't report.

18. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    True, I forgot about the allowed balance on the access card.

19. br408408

br408408 Legend

Jun 1, 2008
    I had the same problem after canceling my home phone. Called Divectv and the CSR had it fixed in about 2 minutes. This was about a year ago...I have ordered many PPV since. Try a different CSR

20. netraa

netraa Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    Has anyone actually tried to order an IPPV, on a HR34, on the national release yet?

yes, all of the other IRD's do it, but... i'd like to find a first hand yes on a 34, and the national release.

~N