1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D* Installer No Show

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by in867, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in867

in867 Cool Member

Aug 7, 2007
    I recently pulled the trigger and ordered D* which was scheduled to be installed today. The tech showed up, looked around, and said I needed to trim a tree because the 5lnb would need line of sight to the entire southern sky. I told him I would do it right then but he wanted to leave and promised to come back at 5pm to perform the install.

Well, 5 came and went and guess what: no call, no show. I called his cell and it went straight to VM. I'm kinda pissed since I spent an hour trimming trees at 20 feet in literally 106 degree heat. If I would have known he wasn't going to come back today I would have waited a day or two when it will be cooler.

Now the tech can't make it back until next week when I am starting a new job and have no chance of meeting him - pushing an install date back to next weekend at the earliest.

I almost want to call D* and cancel the whole thing but my mind could be swayed if they will give me SF for free ($99 usually). So I have two questions for all you afficionados:

1) Will D* charge me anything if I back out now?
    2) What's the best way to see about getting SF for free (any specific number to call or thing to say?)

Thanx.

2. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    First of all, the tech wasn't a no show, he just didn't make it back. There is a difference. As far as canceling, since there is no install, I think you are off of the hook. You can likely get some freebies from D* if you call and explain the situation to them, but if you get huffy with them, you may get nothing. Good luck!

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Call 1-800-333-3474 for a quick install. :p

4. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    I have had no problems with the DirecTV installers when they make it out but them making it out is the key problem....

5. in867

in867 Cool Member

Aug 7, 2007
    I called D* and explained the situation calmly and rationally. The CRS ended up crediting me $100 and she told me it would come out the tech's paycheck?? Is this correct, doesn't sound right to me.

Anyway, looks like I'm waiting for another 10 days for install but at least I can get SF for free with the $100 credit.

6. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    How much did you offer to pay the tech to hang around and watch you cut trees? How much would you want to charge if the tech told you to cut too many trees?

So he eats a $100.00 backcharge because you need DTV when you need it. There is a reason why there is a permanently painted HELP WANTED
    sign on the back of the DTV trucks........but don't worry. CSRs lie.

Joe

7. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Glad to hear you received something to your satisfaction. I'm not an installer. There are situations I believe where a tech can be back charged for certain issues. 100 bucks is alot to take out of a paycheck. There are several installers here that frequent the board. Hopefully one will come along and clarify.

8. markrubi

markrubi Icon

Oct 12, 2006
    I am sure the Tech could have started on the other parts of the install while the tree was trimmed. He was looking for away to cut the day short. If the trimming was a small job he should have stuck around and did the install.

9. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Oh boy. What a mess. So many shoulda, woulda, coulda's. :nono2:

Assuming there was a legit LOS issue, we have to notify our supervisor who will come out (eventually) for a second opinion. The installer should have never promised to come back out later that day. Too many things can go wrong on other jobs. He should of either officially rescheduled or had his supervisor come out.

As far as the back charge. We currently don't have back charges here, but I would imagine other places do. Especially if he was an independent. I won't say the CSR was lying, more like, "misinformed". However, assuming she was correct, and the tech does get charged back $100 for doing nothing, good luck on getting anybody from that company to do anything beyond the absolute minimum to get you working, if your lucky. I see more tree trimming in you future.

Personally, I have not and will not start a install unless I know it will work. I'm not going to spend my time to run lines, prep boxes, etc. to find out that there is no LOS or the customer changes his mind. Not going to happen. Sorry.

10. in867

in867 Cool Member

Aug 7, 2007
    I honestly didn't believe the CSR when she said it would come out of his paycheck. I don't think that is a good way to do business and wouldn't expect a large contractor like a D* installation company to operate in that manner. If this is the case I would never expect to get good service from the installer, especially if they send the same guy out in the future.

Either way I don't think it was too much too ask for the tech to call if he couldn't make it back. Or return my call when I tried to see if he would return.

11. moparman76_69

moparman76_69 Cool Member

Aug 15, 2007

+1 The $100 comes out of Dtv's pay to my company but doesn't affect my check.

Should have called a NLOS as techs aren't supposed to tell you cut this or cut that to get signal.

12. jhillestad

jhillestad Godfather

Jan 13, 2007
    This is why you buy a good meter and just install it yourself.

13. Meklos

Meklos Legend in his own mind...

Nov 7, 2006
    And unless you've done it before, or unless you're very very familiar with RF and how it operates and how the alignment system works on the newer dishes, you're sitting there griping and complaining about how the new HD channels suck the next time a cloud comes off to the south or west.

The new dish and new frequencies are several times more dependent on a well-aimed dish. They have a much lower tolerance for mistakes.

And as for that meter, I'd rather not spend a hundred bucks for a meter that I'm only gonna use once or twice, tops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.