1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D* losing customers to E*

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by jdoug, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 5, 2007 #1 of 40
    jdoug

jdoug Legend

Aug 16, 2006
    Two co-workers of mine recently bought HDTVs and have been long time Directv customers. They called to upgrade to HDTV and are been given prices between $199 and $250 for the HR20. They called multiple times. Neither wants to spend this kind of cash and so they're going to switch to Echostar since what they care about most is network TV and ESPN.

I guess Directv figures they can afford to lose customers like this. I got my HR20 back in April for $99 plus 6 months HDTV fee credit. But, with new channels coming online they seem less willing to deal now.

2. Sep 5, 2007 #2 of 40
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Well... I guess that nets out the two people on my block, that switched to DirecTV this week, from DISH... Because they wanted the BTN...

Subscriber churn is also happening... and until there are longer period of time results, it is very difficult to see what is going on with that regards.

1 or 2 people, no company is worried about... they are intrested in the larger scale picture.

3. Sep 5, 2007 #3 of 40
    DtroitPunk

DtroitPunk Banned User

Sep 5, 2007
    I had the same trouble and i posted this on HDTvoices forums.

I am a new customer to Dtv. I have been with them less than 6 months. At the time I signed up, they were offering the hd receiver or the sd dvr for free. I took the dvr and have regretted it ever since. Then I started getting promotions for dish with free hd dvr upgrades for new customers. I called Dtv and got no help at all. I searched around online and got an email address and phone # for An executive in customer support at Dtv. I sent an emqail and waited, no joy, then I emailed her supervisor and still no joy so I called a direct extension and left a message this last friday. Today (Mon) I got a call and I told Ms Bitew (real name) that I was very unhappy and that if I was made happy I would be loyal and if not I would never deal with Dtv again. Long story short I am getting the upgrade to an hd dvr and new LNB dish for free and they are coming to install and upgrade me wednesday morning!!! The regular customer svc people dont have much authority, I even tried the customer resolution group, you know the ones who are supposed to try to keep you from cancelling, and they were no help. I had to go all the way to Dtv HQ. Just google dtv sucks and you can find info for Heywot Bitew at Dtv customer relations. Good luck everybody!

4. Sep 5, 2007 #4 of 40
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    What you might not know is the same happens in reverse. If you are a current Dish customer, good luck getting an HD DVR for less then $250 bucks. But DirecTV as a new customer will of course give you all kinds of free stuff.

So for every 2 people that switch to Dish for the good new customers deals, Dish loses 2 people to DirecTV for the same reason.

5. Sep 5, 2007 #5 of 40
    jdoug

jdoug Legend

Aug 16, 2006
    These guys would not have thought twice if it only cost $99. They would have kept on paying their $80-$100/mo and been happy. But, $200-$250 upfront costs made them look around and realize they can get Dish stuff for free.

6. Sep 5, 2007 #6 of 40
    F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    If you go to your account on line you get the HR20 upgrade for $99

7. Sep 5, 2007 #7 of 40
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    How does it net out, or did they get credits for the higher HD service fee on DISH?

8. Sep 5, 2007 #8 of 40
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    First person I've seen that says the online order has HR20's for $99. Mine used to say $199 but now it's up to the normal $299, glad I have mine already.

9. Sep 5, 2007 #9 of 40
    jdoug

jdoug Legend

Aug 16, 2006
    I'm not sure. He just told me he can get a VIP722 and a SD DVR for $0 plus they will credit for 6 months so for that 6 months his bill will be $20 less than what his monthly bill would be with Directv with HD service.

10. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    I believe it's the SD DVR that's $99.

11. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    The site now showing the R15 and H20 for $99, they both used to be free for my account. Are other seeing price increases like this also or have I fallen out of favor? Maybe the accountants have seen all the discounts retention is giving out on the HR20 and figures it's time to try to make some of that money back?;)

12. fwlogue

fwlogue Godfather

Dec 5, 2006
    Same here used to say 199 now 299.

13. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Maybe D* is leveraging the new HD offerings coming up.

14. browningt

browningt Cool Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Just checked and HR20 was $99 w/ s/h and installation included.

15. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    From http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/09/05/ap4085393.html

"Satellite and communication systems installer MasTec Inc. on Wednesday issued a third-quarter profit forecast below analyst expectations, citing higher hiring-related costs. ... The company said it will hire 1,5000 technicians in the current quarter, increasing costs and reducing productivity as demand for its DirecTV (nyse: DTV - news - people ) services rise."

Guess they're not losing too many customers.

16. GreyGhost00

GreyGhost00 AllStar

Aug 12, 2003
    Meh - content is king. I'm certain D* is banking there will be a lot of churn the other way when the new channels go live.

17. Ken984

Ken984 Active Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Bossier...
    Just checked my acct it used to say $199 and now its $299, I guess I missed my chance.

18. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    You didn't miss your chance!

Check out this thread:

What the Deals are, and what are you being told by CSR?

Many are getting the HR20 for $19.

As to the churn noted in the OP, I am sorry that your neighbors did not know about this site. Both DISH and DIRECTV gained more subscribers than they lost.

The only real loser was TiVo who had a net loss of 146,000 subscribers last quarter.

- Craig

19. DrummerSmith

DrummerSmith Cool Member

Jun 11, 2007
    This may not be the right place for this question, but I hope the mods will place it right.

I am a long time DirecTV subscriber, (1996, 200.00 to 300.00 a month), My brother-in-law is building a new home and we are doing the prewire before the sheetrock goes in. I would like to get him a 5 lnb dish and a hr20 and a couple of h20's.

I would like to get him the best deal possible since he is a new sub, but also install his equipment for him. We are in rural Oklahoma and I do not have very much confidence in the folks that install here. I installed my own 5 lnb dish and am very happy. I show 95 percent on 99 where I get my Tulsa locals.

-Thanks for any info you might offer. I really do not want to purchase anything at the going retail.

20. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You are not going to get any of the "free standard install" stuff from DirecTV at this point in the process. My suggestion is pre-wire all the tv locations wtih two RG6 and two Cat5e (phone/network) lines back to a common point. Run a conduit from that point to the roof or likely dish install location.

Then, when the house is finished and he's ready for TV, order the DirecTV equipment. The installer will provide and install the dish, and wire to the central point. At that location all you need to do is cross connect to the live tv locations.

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.