D* OTA channels database - Has there been any New Sub Channels added?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jorb, Apr 17, 2019.

1. jorb

jorb AllStar

Mar 22, 2008
    Since they came out with the Local Channel Connector LCC.
    Has there been any New Sub Channels added to DirecTV OTA channels database?
    If they did add sub channels does this apply to the AM21?

Does the Local Channel Connector show local Sub channel guide info like the AM21 does ?
    Will the Local Channel Connector work with a HR24 ?

Where can I find a current Directv supported database of Over-The-Air channels ?

Thanks,

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  2. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    You can find the current OTA listing in this thread in the TPN_Map Domestic spreadsheet that's updated every Wednesday:
    Transponder Maps: Domestic, Mexico, Latin ~ Data 04/10/2019

They're about halfway through the OTA database expansion, there's a post somewhere in that thread where I posted the full list of markets that have got the expansion so far. The expansion also benefits those with a AM21, including people with Hx2x's and HR34's who didn't get the ability to scan back like the HR44 and HR54 did.

3. jorb

jorb AllStar

Mar 22, 2008
    Thanks for the OTA database link.

Does the Local Channel Connector scan for channels like a HDTV ATSC OTA tuner does or does it scan based on your zip code?

Is this the POST that you referred to?

4. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    I think there was another update a few weeks later in the thread.

You still only get listings for channels that are matched in the database for the two zip codes you enter, but the HR44 and HR54 will also display stations with a generic "Regular Schedule" listing that it picked up in the scan that are not in the database, like low power stations and subchannels from full power stations that haven't been added to the database yet.

5. jorb

jorb AllStar

Mar 22, 2008
    You are correct your most recent List POST was on 02-28-2019.
    The List POST before that was on 02-18-2019. Same as in my post above.

With the AM21 I could never figure out why they didn't use the generic "Regular Schedule" listings that is picked up in the local OTA channel scan and integrate them into the sat channel guide. That way DirecTV wouldn't of had to provide programming for every local TV station's primary channel & sub channels in the country.
    Sounds like they are going in that direction with the HR44 and HR54 at least it gives you the option. Local TV station PISP or DirecTV's provided local station channel program guide info.

6. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Hot damn! My Augusta GA stations have been updated. Now bring on the LCC!

dtv757 likes this.
  7. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Cool does it work with genie 2 and how much?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

8. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    No. and all the answers to the rest are in the LCC thread and haven't changed since they were last posted. Retail pricing isn't known yet, they're giving it out for free to people in markets where one of their locals are in a dispute, and in at least one of the test markets it's some complicated thing where you get a credit and discount in exchange for dropping satllite locals (and also losing VOD and TV Everywhere app authentication for the broadcast networks in the process).

It's still only in available in test markets, no nationwide release date has been announced yet, and no attempts of convincing a CSR otherwise will let people get it outside of those test markets since the system will not let them order it. So if anyone needs integrated OTA now and can't wait, they'll need to find an AM21 on a place like ebay or some other second hand seller since Solid Signal no longer stocks them.

9. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    All we can do is guess
    I dont think we know for sure if it works on the Genie 2 or HS17 as there is a national update going out right now to all and we are not sure if the driver is in there so really with each update someone needs to try the LCC to be sure. They did change some of the MOCO Network stuff which Dish Network also had to update before their version of the LCC (USB OTA TUNER) would work. Maybe this is the first step and the next one is the driver, can only guess. Could be many months or this fall for all we know.

BUT
    Unless someone really has a LCC to test with but they wont even ship you one if you have a HS17 so that leaves just the official Beta Testers of the LCC who might know for sure but then risk great financial harm for breaking a NDA agreement if they told.

I still wonder if the Dish LLC version would work if you used a USB powered Hub, same chip set and case (just different logo). Different color if you get the Airtv version of it , its white.

10. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    What matters is what USB ID it identifies itself with. Even if the chip is the same if they have a different USB ID they won't be interchangeable. And if they are, what difference would it make?

11. jorb

jorb AllStar

Mar 22, 2008
    Why are the market numbers different in the D* OTA database?
    Rabbitears.info shows 75 for Green Bay, WI
    D* OTA database shows 78 for Green Bay, WI

Am I missing something ?

12. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The numbers are not based on Nielsen rankings.

The DirecTV numbers are their internal network ids that are mostly assigned alphabetically, with two skips for internal uses, so it goes up to 213 instead of 211 (210 Nielsen + Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands)

RabbitEars has their own rankings and doesn't use Nielsen's definitions of a DMA, which is why their numbers go up to 248 since they list areas like Hagerstown, MD seperately from DC.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  13. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    You keep mentioning " where one of their locals are in a dispute" where is the list of channels in dispute? Maybe there should be another discussion group to let all of us know the status?

14. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    If you're market is affected you'll know as one of your locals will be displaying a slate instead of programming. i.e. Salt Lake City and their NBC station. Sioux Falls also had an issue with their Fox station a few months ago that has since been resolved.

It's hard to get a full list because ATT's TV Promise site only displays a locals dispute if you enter a zip code that's currently affected by one. So if you have several hours to kill and want to enter zip codes from the 175+ DMAs that DirecTV currently provides locals for and compile a list for everyone else to reference, go for it.

15. jorb

jorb AllStar

Mar 22, 2008
    OK thanks,
    That might explain why there is no order in which DirecTV is adding sub channels to the OTA data base. I thought they were adding sub channels starting with the higher number markets first then the second so on so forth.

16. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    As far as anyone can determine, the order they are adding channels to DMAs appears mostly random. It has been tilted a bit toward larger markets but that's about it.

17. jorb

jorb AllStar

Mar 22, 2008
    slice1900,

So you are flipping a quarter ever Wednesday when the new OTA database comes out to see if your market has been added.

What is interesting, looking at the TPN data, DirecTV has spot beams for LOOK under the Local tab, but LOOK is not added to the OTA database.

18. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The entries for LOOK are remaps of channel 203 to channel 2 for markets without a local channel 2, it's not on a spotbeam or a local broadcast channel. It's a pay to play ad channel that's paying extra to get a remap on channel 2 so it appears in the guide right next to the major broadcast networks.

The local tab is for local market specific channels, which isn't just locals, but also includes market specific oddballs like the LOOK remaps or the special Masters schedule/tee-time channel that the Augusta market had on channel 700 last week.

It's not all spotbeams, like instead of their local Ion feed, many markets get a remap of channel 305 or 306 to their local number, while markets without a local PBS station get a remap of the PBS national feed on 389 to channel 65. DirecTV Puerto Rico is also treated as a local market with a mix of spotbeams and national beam mirrors since their channel lineup mostly resembles the lineup they had when they were part of DirecTV Latin America, including several Latin American only channels that aren't available in mainland USA.

The local channel numbers also don't always correspond to the virtual OTA numbers, like major network affiliates that are on a subchannel over the air like many smaller markets have. Or the occasional thing where a station changed their major number when they went digital, like WRNN in the NYC market who ended up using major channel 48 instead of their analog number 62.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  19. jorb

jorb AllStar

Mar 22, 2008
    So just for the heck of it I checked the TPN Map and Wa La I think I hit the jackpot.
    Looks like all of my market (78) remaining local OTA sub-channels, were added to the list.

Does this mean DirecTV is providing guide data, right now, for those added sub-channels or will it take awhile to start the ball rolling?

What is the correct procedure to rescan the AM21 ?

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  20. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    They added 26 additional markets today, including your market Green Bay. You can check the sheet in this post to see which channels were added.

Provided you didn't do any secondary zip code tricks to get missing stations added, all you need to do is go to Antenna setup and redo the initial setup.