D* picture quality compared to streaming

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by wilbur_the_goose, Nov 30, 2019.

1. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Based on my experience, D* loses big in the PQ comparison with streaming PQ.

It’s especially apparent in sports. MLB, NHL, and MLB streaming packages all have superior PQ compared to D*. I don’t think it’s even close.

If this doesn’t improve on D*, why would anyone continue to use them!

(obviously this doesn’t apply if the customer doesn’t have high speed internet service)

dreadlk and espaeth like this.
  2. espaeth

espaeth AllStar

Oct 13, 2003
    Agree completely. Picture quality was the biggest factor that cemented my decision to replace DTV with live streaming services for the handful of live channels I want.

wilbur_the_goose likes this.
  3. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    If you think DirecTV has bad PQ have you checked comcast or any local cable company .

Also some ISPs have a 1TB or lower data limit so streaming may not be the best option

Not everyone has access to FTTH /fios/u verse

In my personal opinion

D* vs streaming... streaming will win
    D* vs cable or dish.. D* wins

D* vs fios ... equal bit some say fios had dropped PQ

I have personally compared cox and DirecTV on same TV and DirecTV wins hands down .

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

NashGuy, ericknolls and SledgeHammer like this.
  4. Dec 1, 2019 #4 of 57
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Compare the shows you see on D* to the same shows you on streaming platforms, you will clearly see why so many folks would rather stream. Cable has little to do with this discussion, we know D* has better PQ, same thing with Dish.

Rich

dreadlk likes this.
  5. Dec 1, 2019 #5 of 57
    Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    I really don't understand the need for a comparison. DirecTV and DISH (DBS providers) were created to serve those who were not being served by Cable companies. They are providing the service they were created for. If you can get cable or a fast enough Internet connection to stream, you have nothing to complain about. Go with the provider you want. Not everyone has a choice, count yourself lucky that you do and quit complaining.

6. Dec 1, 2019 #6 of 57
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I agree with this post but I don't see any complaining going on in this thread.

Rich

7. Dec 1, 2019 #7 of 57
    dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    So unfortunately i suffer from cable broadband

So I personally prefer DirecTV over reaching my data limit and or having to deal with the constant random outages from cable broadband

Is the PQ better , sure , worth the hassle to get the error no internet connection found half way in the show or sports game ..., to find out its another neighborhood wide outage... NO. At least with D* u know when there might be be an interruption

ejbvt and SledgeHammer like this.
  8. Dec 1, 2019 #8 of 57
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    You need better internet! :)

My cable internet is very solid, I think I’ve had two or three outages of short duration over the last 2+ years. And while I’m sure there were blips in service of mere moments, I don’t remember them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

crkeehn likes this.
  9. Dec 1, 2019 #9 of 57
    dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    I wish fios would expand but my neighborhood/ central office was skipped

Now I'm waiting for 5G

a little off topic but last year my neighibor had an emergency and could not call 911 cause cox had another outage .. i had to use my POTS phone to call 911 for them ..

i have since dropped DSL and moved on to "modern" internet speed(s) but i miss the reliability of DSL 0 outages in 12 years, cable i ran out of fingers / count of how many times it has gone out

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  10. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Not exactly. When I first switched to D (before they were even called DireTv...) my home was serviced by two different cable companies. The picture from D was far superior to anything any cable co had. Heck, their marketing was all about their superior picture quality and that they had a 100% digital signal. The days when they had superior picture quality unfortunately is long past...LOL.

espaeth likes this.
  11. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Xfinity compresses all channels down to 720p

DirecTV is still better PQ

Streaming is better due to no compression unless the end user jas poor internet connection (under 25mpbs ..??)

25mpbs reference/ source :
    Internet Connection Speed Recommendations

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What's your general location?

Rich

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The service has been called DIRECTV since it's inception in 1994. People discussing the services online shortened the names to D*, E* and P*, but the "D*" service was always DIRECTV.

Rich likes this.
  14. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    LOL..I installed my first USSB system back in ‘92 when you had to buy all the equipment from your local “hifi” store and install it all yourself, including the dish. IIRC it was sometime in ‘99 when they became DirecTV. No worries if you don’t remember all that. Not many folks here have been around that long.

HiDefRev likes this.
  15. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    The problem is D just isn’t a technology leader anymore. Their was a time when they were. It was why I was actively involved in “edgecutters” here...D was actually pushing the technology envelope forward in delivering things like DVR technology and single wire “whole home” integration. It’s been a long time since they have lead any technology anything...except milking their install base.

Rich, longhorn23 and gio12 like this.
  16. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Agreed , I remember being a beta tester for multi room DVR back In 2009

I think we are one of the only providers without a voice remote

longhorn23 and mjwagner like this.
  17. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    USSB is not DIRECTV. It was purchased by DIRECTV (with DIRECTV assuming the USSB satellite licenses in 1999). Up until the merger, DIRECTV provided most non-premium channels while USSB provided mostly premium channels via DIRECTV satellites (USSB leasing transponders to cover their five licensed transponders at 101.)

Perhaps your mind has gone fuzzy over the past 25-30 years? :D

18. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Oh there is no doubt my mind is going fuzzy...way to much fun in my 60 years... but I don’t think D even existed when I first started with USSB...anyway, the real point was that way back when, in the beginning, and we can clearly argue about the details of how it all began...one of the key points that they emphasized was their superior picture quality. Are they still better than the typical cable co...IDK it’s been a REALLY long time since I was a cable co subscriber, but I think it would be fairly dubious for them to claim superior picture quality as compared to many of their streaming competitors. That’s probably why they don’t use that in their marketing anymore.

19. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Pre-DBS systems offered some of the highest "SD" quality that was available to consumers. Glorious analog signals generally intended for cable systems to receive and redistribute. If you are arguing who had the best "SD" picture quality available to consumers, pre-DBS providers did fairly well. (Putting "SD" in quotes since a higher definition was not available to the consumer market. Standard definition was the only definition of television.)

DBS licensed systems, including DIRECTV and USSB's "Digital Satellite System" (DSS) presented an "all digital" format that was (unfortunately) not as good as encrypted analog feeds. DIRECTV encoded their channels based on a 480x480 pixel format. The "crystal clear" aspect of digital came from removing analog noise (usually seen on poorly received over the air TV channels or under engineered cable systems).

Today's "standard" picture has become high definition. Most channels in 1920x1080 or 1280x768 pixel formats with millions more pixels per second defining the screen. Streaming providers can easily send UHD with or without HDR ... within the limits of their server's ability to serve, the client box's ability to display and the quality of the connection between server and client. Streaming PQ can vary based on the content being viewed and the time of day when it is viewed. Satellite PQ is generally consistent (but mostly HD instead of 4K). Please consider streaming through a satellite provider (such as OnDemand via the Internet) as streaming - not satellite.

I believe AT&T|DIRECTV has moved away from "best picture" claims because the market has shown that they generally don't care. AT&T|DIRECTV spent the past couple of years telling people to cut the cord, get rid of the box and the commitment and sign up for streaming services. Unfortunately for AT&T their subscribers listened and have left satellite for streaming ... other company's streaming services. There will always be someone who wants the best PQ available to the consumer market, but the overwhelming number of subscribers want something less expensive.

B. Shoe and gio12 like this.
  20. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    They do advertise "pro football " in 4K with peyton manning

But that's the most I have see as far as D* claiming good PQ

O wait years ago they did a star trek commercial and I think it mentioned PQ ... 2006 , wow over 10 years ago

And i agree they dont really advertise PQ any more

mjwagner likes this.