1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D* Refusing to replace receiver...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by keithw1975, Dec 14, 2011.

1. keithw1975

keithw1975 Legend

Oct 1, 2006
    Missouri
    My father had a receiver fail and after sending in the old one in their supplied box he never received a new one. After several weeks he called D* and they said that even though he was a valued customer since 1995 that because he didn't go through the protection plan department, which he pays an extra fee for, they wouldn't be able to send him a replacement unless he paid for the new receiver. I think this is incorrect but wanted to get someone else's opinion. I told him that part of the agreement is for them to replace defective receivers. Before he had the protection plan they had replaced 2 receivers with out any issues.

2. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    This could get messy as so much time went by.

It sounds as if there is mis-communication somewhere, but getting it resolved is going to be hard.

Normally for a failed receiver under the protection plan they would either ship you a replacement and a box to send the old one back, or send a tech to replace it.

It seems your father was sent the box. So either someone made a mistake and thought he was just deactivating a receiver or there was supposed to be another one sent which did not arrive. That should show in his notes.

Waiting weeks before contacting them is where it gets messy.

Is he still paying the lease fee on his account for this receiver?

3. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    I find it odd that he sent the receiver back before receiving a replacement as the recovery kit/box typically isn't even initiated until the replacement is shipped.

At any rate; your 100% correct. He should receive a replacement receiver FREE of charge and without any additional commitment as that's what the protection plan specifically calls for to happen. He should NOT pay for any associated charges NOR the $20.00 standard shipping for that matter under the plan.

If and when he calls back to rectify this, have him contact the retention department or ellen's office if he doens't get a prompt resolution.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    There should be no requirement for the user to have the responsibility to make sure they are talking to the Protection Plan department. Even without the plan, he should not have to pay for the receiver. If they determined the box was bad, at most he would have to pay the $20 shipping fee.

i don't know if I'd talk to retention in this case, I'd probably to straight to Ellen's office. Ellen.Filipiak@directv.com

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I'm a little confused about the chain of events as you describe. Your father would have called and said "I have a bad receiver", CSR should have sent out a replacement at some point in the process, or arranged to have a tech visit. If they sent out a replacement without a service call, then the bad receiver would be returned in the box that the replacement was sent in. Where did he get a return box before they ever sent him a replacement?

6. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Yes, because the box the new receiver arrives in, is the box that the old defective one goes back in (if it fits).

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    +1. Especially the amount of time has gone by.

8. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    Call D* and ask for a Retention agent. Explain to them your father's situation. Your father does have options: Dish; Comcast; Charter; AT&T Uverse; and over the air. Best wishes!