1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D* removing LD from AM-21 lineups

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by aa9vi, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Aug 3, 2010 #1 of 42
    aa9vi

aa9vi Godfather

Sep 3, 2007
    I emailed Zap2it/Tribune to add in a new OTA local station to our local lineup. Since the AM-21 cannot channel scan, the only way to view the channel on the AM-21 is to have Zap2it/tribune add it to their master guide and D* is supposed to mirror that. But, I got a curious response back from Zap2it...

"On a side note, DirecTV has been removing low power channels from their guides over the past few months. When the channels are ready we will add it to the zap2it OTA lineups but cannot guarantee that you will be able to receive this via your DirecTV tuner."

So, what's up with that? Why is D* limiting what the receivers can tune? If the signal's there, why won't they let you watch it?

Let me just throw another question out there, what if you live in a small town where LD is your main network feed? This blanket policy seems shortsighted.

Not to mention, Dish network does not have idiotic limitations on their OTA tuners like this... I'm a little perplexed here...

2. Aug 3, 2010 #2 of 42
    Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    +1

I can understand that if D* pays TMS a fee, for each OTA channel it pulls guide data. They wouldn't be to happy about shelling out coin for home shopping/religious/etc. low-power digital channels.

But, when the LDs are providing local ABC/CBS/Fox/NBC/PBS service D* needs to make them available. Especially when you consider that these areas most likely don't have HD LiL service.

3. Aug 3, 2010 #3 of 42
    Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Ok, I'm clueless in this situation. What's an LD. :grin:

Mike

4. Aug 3, 2010 #4 of 42
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Low Definition :grin:

5. Aug 3, 2010 #5 of 42
    Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    Ok, I was trying to figure something that had "Local" in it.

LD = SD?

Mike

6. Aug 3, 2010 #6 of 42
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Oh goody, another acronym that nobody understands. Be nice if people explained odd acronyms when using them. :)

Rich

7. Aug 3, 2010 #7 of 42
    dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    LD=Low Power Digital - same thing as LP=Low Power (analog) stations.

And, LD does NOT always equal SD - there ARE actually HD-LD stations out there... ;) ;)

8. Aug 3, 2010 #8 of 42
    Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    Ok, now that makes sense.

Thanks. :)

Mike

9. Aug 3, 2010 #9 of 42
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    It was a joke! Low definition TV :lol:

Yes, low power. We have them here and I don't think any of them show up with D*.

10. aa9vi

aa9vi Godfather

Sep 3, 2007
    No, it's low powered digital, the 15kW ERP type. DT is the abbreviation for most of the other full powered digital TV stations.

11. Kansas Zephyr

Jun 29, 2007
    We HAD LDs (low-power DIGITAL TV stations) via D*, until they pulled the guide data.

In Wichita, there were 2 LDs with 4 channels each. So, I lost 8 "DVRable" channels when D* stopped providing that information.

...and yes, not these I mentioned, some LDs are translators for full-power stations, meaning they "pass" HD, if the parent station is broadcasting HD.

The only potential silver lining...is a LD translator, has the PSIP of the primary station. (Yes, even the FCC knew it would be overly onerous to force a station to decode the ATSC...and re-encode it with the PSIP of the translator channel and call-sign). So, if D* will allow a matching virtual channel within a market...the HR2x/AM21 might be able to map the LD to the parent's guide info.

12. VARTV

VARTV Godfather

Dec 14, 2006
    Virginia...
    Just noticed that two CD (a notch up from a LD) stations that was listed before are now gone from the Norfolk market. A newer LD station here carries the Retro TV Network but I guess it won't be added...

13. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    Has anyone contacted DirecTV support/@DirecTV Twitter feed/DirecTV.com email support with these issues?

14. Kansas Zephyr

Jun 29, 2007
    CD (Class-A Digital)

FWIW...A low-power station with the frequency protections of a full-power station.

15. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    If I had to guess, they probably got a few too many calls from people saying they were getting a 771 on OTA CH XX-X, come fix it, I will cancel, give me free stuff, etc, etc, etc.

16. Kansas Zephyr

Jun 29, 2007
    Versus, the you HAD it, D*...and then took it away.

Which also has the effect of some saying...

17. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Thank you. That clarifies it completely.

Rich

18. aa9vi

aa9vi Godfather

Sep 3, 2007
    yes, I emailed them a couple days ago and received no response yet. I encourage those of you concerned to email them also. They may just not understand like so many other things over the air...

19. aa9vi

aa9vi Godfather

Sep 3, 2007
    Well, maybe they shouldn't have made the channels be controlled by a Tribune media database and the AM21 should have had the ability to do an OTA scan.... LIKE THEY DID ON THE H20s!

20. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    This is the answer, the software should scan, then it should be smart enough to pull the needed data from TMS...