"D" says the problem will be fixed at the end of July!!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Andrew Sullivan, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Active Member

Dec 7, 2017
    A technician came out today because of my sound drop out problem. He said that it is a software issue and it will be fixed at the end of July. First of all they could have told me that on the initial phone complaint instead of wasting a tech visit. Second of all, WTF!!!. They will fix it in a month? I pay well over a hundred dollars a month and they expect me to donate a hundred plus dollars to them while they inconvenience me with pathetic qualty for a month. What the Hells wrong with these people? No wonder customers are cutting the cord. After 15 years I will be joining them.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    for you, relatively new at the site, I could reveal little secret - it was same way for loooong time; if you will read back DTV forum you'll find it

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Your profile states you have a HS17 and a C61K. If it were a software issue others with the same setup would be reporting it as well. Are you using a AVR with your setup? Have you gone into the Menu and check the Audio selection? Have you checked/changed your cables?

jimmie57 likes this.
  4. mloiterman

mloiterman Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Here, let me translate that for you:

"I'm not technically competent enough to even understand your problem. I've got a lot of other calls that I'm not really trained or competent enough to perform correctly either, but I can run a drill and crimp RG6 connectors, so I need to get out of here quickly. You can't blame me or ask me to do anything if I tell you it's a software issue and if I tell you it will be fixed by the end of July, you'll let me leave without a problem or complaining to my boss. By the end of July, I'll likely have quit or been fired and this will be someone else's problem."

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Well said! Saved me the trouble of writing the same thing. How would an installer know that?

Rich

6. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    [​IMG]

Getteau likes this.
  7. TimCoh

TimCoh Cool Member

Dec 24, 2011
    They are famous for selling bridges. Mostly over the east river.

8. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Because they have it listed on the cadie database and the latest update says something along the lines of "Great news! Thanks to all your reports being sent in we have made great progress on this problem. We have a software patch in the works and plan on sending it out to all customers by the end of July. If your customer is singed up for email alerts they will be notified via email."

242424 and KyL416 like this.
  9. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Are you running through an AVR??

10. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    We all know directv doesn’t push out fixes fast. So whatever is supposed to get to all customers by the end of July has to be rolling out now. So is it the new 100F client software of 1088 genie firmware which is slowly rolling out

11. Andrew Sullivan

Dec 7, 2017
    Actually I'm not new to the site. My records got screwed up so I had rejoin. My first DVR was the HR20. I am running HDMI directly to theTV and I had this setup for at least 3 months with no problems until about a month ago. When I have a sound drop I will immediately rewind and play it back and the sound drop disappears. Same thing with recorded material. Sometimes the picture drops also but only about 10% of the time. No pixelation, just completely goes black.

12. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Does the issue occur on all channels or certain channels?

13. Andrew Sullivan

Dec 7, 2017
    All channels. I am watching golf at the moment and it has happened several time. Just now actually. Earlier on a recorded show. Locals like FOX and cable channels like USA or ESPN. If I back it up the problem does not ever repeat. It's about as random as you can get. I'm surprised he didn't just swap out the HS17 as a blanket solution. Software seems very improbable

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    I would try cold reboot to cleanup memory leak nightly/everyday ...

15. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That does sound like a problem with the 17. Replacing the 17 would have told you for sure.

Rich

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    BTW, the end of July could be in 2019 or 2020, etc ;)

17. Andrew Sullivan

Dec 7, 2017
    You might be right. He never mentioned next month exactly. Like many, I have been contemplating cutting the cord in some fashion. I'll see how this shakes out and mabe try something different