1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"D" Up to its old tricks

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ub1934, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Jan 2, 2009 #1 of 15
    ub1934

ub1934 Icon

Dec 30, 2005
    UpState NY
    Have been with "D" since the days of Primstar & now have one Dtivo going bad , we have the PP and we were told it will cost us $85/$100 to replace the unit with a non DVR unit , we were told no free replacement or upgrade :mad::mad: Thought the plan says free replacement & no 2 year add on to our contract

2. Jan 2, 2009 #2 of 15
    GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Try the CSR roulette, call in again.

3. Jan 2, 2009 #3 of 15
    dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    u cant teach an old dog new tricks.

4. Jan 2, 2009 #4 of 15
    Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I'm by no means an expert on the PP but I thought it covered all current DirecTV receivers.

Maybe there is list of receivers covered and is limited to the most recent receivers.

Mike

5. Jan 2, 2009 #5 of 15
    SDizzle

SDizzle Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2007
    Roseville, CA
    Nope, it covers all recievers. About 6 months ago they replaced an R10 for me, that was not a "current" receiver at the time. They of course sent an R15.

6. Jan 2, 2009 #6 of 15
    beavis

beavis Icon

Jun 8, 2005
    They'll send you a free replacement DVR (I.E. a like item). Why would you want to replace it with a non DVR receiver? You can use DVR's as regular receivers.

7. Jan 3, 2009 #7 of 15
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    ub1934,

As recently as this past summer I had to replace a Hughes SD DVR80 under the protection plan. I was sent an R22, no shipping, no new commitment and the R22 is reflected on my account as "owned".

Any time I've dealt with replacing receivers under the PP (about 4 or 5 now in total), I've spoken directly with the Protection Plan department. I'm not sure if that's who you've been dealing with, but when the voice prompt asks for the reason for your call, I would say "Protection Plan Department" or "Technical Support" and if it asks for anything further I would say "defective Receiver" or something to that effect.

I've never had a problem with that. And since I'm sure the DTiVo is owned, make sure they process the replacement as such and when you call to activate the replacement, you should tell the CSR that the replacement should be coded as an owned receiver and that it should not affect your current commitment period end date, nor result in a new commitment period if you are not currently under one.

8. Jan 3, 2009 #8 of 15
    meStevo

meStevo AllStar

Jul 23, 2007
    I think either you misunderstood the offer or they weren't explaining themselves well... $85/$100 sounds like they were trying to upgrade you to HD. Mom just had her DTivo replaced by a HDDVR for free (flawless acct history for going on 5 years), but they wanted to charge her to upgrade the dish and stuff and she passed.

9. Jan 3, 2009 #9 of 15
    Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Don't talk to a regular CSR. Call the Protection Plan direct. They are staffed with people who actually know the rules.

(888) 667-7463

10. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    The Protection Plan only covers "like for like" replacement of faulty receivers. If you want to move to any other receiver (in your case, a standard receiver, HD receiver or HD DVR) it is not a replacement but an upgrade that may be chargeable, depending on your account status.

11. Blackwing

Blackwing AllStar

Oct 24, 2007
    the last 2 upgrade have cost me only my time. 11 months ago full system upgrade, new dish new boxes. and just this last week 1 additional HD DVR
    no cost and they moved one box to the kitchen.

12. turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    like they all been saying...call again...free replacement with a OWNED dvr. dont forget that the pplan replaces your owned receivers with owned receivers.

13. fredandbetty

fredandbetty Godfather

Jan 28, 2007

I also have had receivers replaced ( i believe they were r10's, and also a DirecTivo ( Hughes) replaced with no probs whatsoever) and as long as they are owned, just make sure they repeat that back to you ( since all calls may be recorded for qual;ity purposes) ;)

14. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    That's what I get for responding to these things late at night.

Newshawk is absolutely right, and I missed the "nuance" when I read this the first time. Under the Protection Plan, they will replace your dead DTiVo with a Standard Definition DVR. If you want to replace that DTiVo with just a standard SD Receiver ($69.99) or an HD non-DVR Receiver ($99.99), you can certainly do that, but it will cost you. The only free replacement you would get for the DTiVo under the PP is an SD DVR.

Thanks, Newshawk! :)

15. IcedOmega13

IcedOmega13 Legend

Mar 3, 2008
    Indeed all reply's are correct you get replacements of the same item. You don't trade in your advanced equipment to get a standard box.