D* wants to put me on cancelled service before giving me a deal..

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by bjlc, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Jan 9, 2019 #1 of 14
    bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    I called Directv today to try and lower my bill. .I have not gotten any thing but the red zone channel from D* this year.. last year I had some major discounts and they were not extended ..I have not had free Sunday ticket for a few years as well. much preferring to have a lower monthly bill.. but the CSR today stated that that I MUST.. MUST say that I am being put on a cancelled list to get a discount.. I am concerned that I would lose my grandfathered choice plus package and my east and west coast channels.. is there a direct phone number for the VIP service ?

2. Jan 9, 2019 #2 of 14
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    That's why they want to Change your account --So your Status is changed --Suggest If your unhappy Cancel and leave - Because the grief is coming for you if you ask for it.

3. Jan 9, 2019 #3 of 14
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    WestDC is correct. If you cancel to get a deal, you'll lose your grandfathered package and possibly your east/west coast channels (not sure which channels you're referring too). And you will not be able to get them back. Ever.

So you have to weigh your choices.

Of course I recently received $60 off per months for 12 months. No cancellation required.

You should call back and try CSR Roulette.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  4. Microphone

Microphone AllStar

Jan 30, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I'm in the exact same boat. Red Zone only, discounts "galore" gone and no more given in 2018, 24 years with D* this April, my most recent 2 calls they basically dared me to cancel. Civil conversations, but they had no interest in me. If you exclude NHL CI and MLB EI, I'm paying $200+ a month XTRA package plus extra DVR's blah blah. Also have the NY & LA distant networks. Am fully aware once those are disconnected there is NO getting them back.
    As I've posted elsewhere a shift to Comcast where my internet is and landline is about to go with almost apples to apples programming would save me in excess of a $1000 annually. Not $500, $1000+. I'm stuck because I read all about the PQ 1080 vs 720 stuff although my visits to other Comcast houses don't show me a PQ difference that bothers me, but I still worry about that. Still I've followed this racket enough to know that D* is a GT model Mustang car while Comcast is probably the bottom line L model. Does the over $1000 make my wife and I live paycheck to paycheck? No....but in principle, for the the next 24 months that's a lot of money and beginning to wonder if 24 years of being a D*/AT&T customer has much value anymore

BJLC, who's your wireless carrier? I've been with AT&T/Cingular/SNET for the same 24 years. That may be my first severing of ties with the AT&T family this March when the Samsung Galaxy 10 is released.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  5. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    The very people I was talking about "expecting" stuff. AT&T wouldn't make a profit if everyone "expected " something after this many years or their contract was up. Isn't that like getting benefits from social services? Nope! I meant entitlements. I'll eat my words - When my Premier package got too expensive I called to change to a lower and cheaper package. The CSR kept me in my package and discounted it for a number of months. No free equipment, free movies or what have you. So I guess I am one of those louses "expecting" stuff circa. 2007.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    As I have stated many times the discount well isn't bottomless. Eventually you have to pay full price for what you subscribe to or tighten your belt.

7. Microphone

Microphone AllStar

Jan 30, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Not sure which direction the comments were pointed, but I'll respond and say here what I said to AT&T Wireless this morning, who I've been with since 1998: "To go with Xfinity mobile (piggybacks on the Verizon network) will save me, literally, $500 a year, a little over $40 a month. I'm not asking you to match the price/savings, I've been with you since the 90's, can you meet me halfway, a gift card, anything?"

I feel it's good business to call these people and at least give them a chance to match or reduce. And all they had to do was make an effort, come down some. The Xfinity TV and phone quotes are so far off. I'm not looking to get discounts just to get them from D*. I'm trying to stay loyal and I like the service I've received and maybe I'll come crying back after getting potentially sub standard service from Comcast, that remains to be seen. Forget phone, since this is a TV forum I don't have to tighten my belt and I'll get their top Triple Play. I said apples for apples, they're actually throwing in the premiums too, D*...no. And in 2 years when the promotion ends, this whole TV/streaming ballgame is going to be vastly changed and I'm not going out on much of a limb saying that.

Technically they owe me nothing.

But it's at two way street.

compnurd likes this.
  8. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    well actually I never threaten to cancel.. I have asked how much time is on my contract..and I have mentioned that my phone provider has local cable.. I have not asked for Sunday ticket for two or three years.. at least not two.. I pay my bills on time.. and I have been with them for a ton of years.. I came here in 2004 and I had been with Directv before that ..I think that they have done alright by me.. I got the "biggest channel package when I first started.." and up until two months ago.. have had at least HBO for all this time. .locals were not in my area when I started.. but Pegasus was.. that's how far back I go.. and I avoided Pegasus by buying my receivers from Best Buy..I haven't caused Directv to give any of their employees holes in their shoes.. I have spent well by them..

Microphone likes this.
  9. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    I'm not sure about VIP dept but it sounds like they're trying to steer you to cancel and have reconnections dept reconnect you with win back offers. That dept does require you to be disconnected before they can deal with you.

I do know that legacy programming can be preserved this way but not sure about East West coast feeds; I don't have those. I also know that despite claims that you cannot talk to reconnections unless disconnected, I asked a few different CSRs to connect me and finally got one that could. The disconnect CSR that answered told me if I would call DirecTV and cancel again, she would call the next day and setup the account discounts and promos as agreed. She did call me the next day.

I can also tell you this dept is not directly affiliated with DirecTV or AT&T. They're contracted to win back for DirecTV among others. I'm not sure about this number but it may be that dept or another promo dept. I've called it before with some success when my reconnections order wasn't filled properly. 800.288.2020 Maybe they can answer your questions.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    That doesn't sound correct (Bold, red statement above). All past posts have indicated that CSRs can't access old/legacy/grandfathered programming packages, so if you drop one of those, you're not getting it back.

And during the conversion where the new AT&T system doesn't have all the functions of the DIRECTV system, going to a third-party to get this done sounds even more suspect. I dont know, but if I wanted to keep my grandfathered package and east/west service, the last thing I would be doing now is cancelling my service to get a deal.

armchair likes this.
  11. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    Hmm. I didn't say I dropped the legacy programming but cancelled. Read on and you'll see the programming was stubborn. Maybe we're not disagreeing? DirecTV wasn't directly involved with the change in programming but did reestablish it when reactivating- multiple times even.

Full disclosure to the OP: given my complications coming back this way. VIP dept may be the better way for the OP to go anyway. I didn't have the East West feeds to risk so cancelling was an option I could have lived with if win back didn't go well. I thought the number may be a way to gauge the scenario presented to the OP (as I understood it). But doesn't appear to be an option with redirecting in place. I tried it today while still connected but only got transferred by an AT&T live agent to DirecTV. The automated system intercepted the call which prompted for a number associated with account which directed my call to main menu.

The rest is just clarification simply because you say the highlighted content sounds incorrect...

I cancelled my account multiple times last July. When receivers reactivated, the legacy programming came back. An offer to upgrade the programming actually reverted back to legacy programming after one billing cycle.

Very complicated win back scenario that needed BBB arbritration to resolve. Not once but twice; maybe you recall online and automated voice system telling legacy plan customers that they need to change programming to use those methods to change programming or call DirecTV and switch to current programming. Even trying to upgrade my programming at no additional cost for 12 months proved difficult (part of the initial BBB arbritration). The legacy programming reinserted itself after 1 month billing cycle on the ultimate plan upgrade. More arbritration followed because escalations dept refused to fix this again along with 1 each billing and promo discrepancies. I'm still waiting for consequetive bills to recur with agreed terms for my satisfaction after two rounds of arbritration. I chose arbritration because I didn't appreciate the hearsay doubt vs a written ticket order that I never saw nor trust cancelling would settle account balance fairly. And no one has ever shared what review of the phone records discovered. Just an arbritration offer to make make dispute go away. Dismissal of the facts; let's make a new deal. I could press further but was compelled to come to an agreement without further appeal. It's likely easier on AT&T not having to disclose hard facts. I'll go along as long as I'm just agreeing to counter offer that is fair and verifiable. At least retention dept confirms the changes appear valid now.

It's hard to imagine DirecTV wanted me to stay on legacy programming. I can only offer that escalations dept had issues with the reconnections ticket order; I received one call from an escalation dept manager that disputed my verbal recollection and agent citing nondisclosed "DirecTV policy" which impressed me as personal bias. He dismissed my verbal claim as "not possible" and "hard to believe" and wanted to negotiate far less terms. I hung up on him and communication ceased right there from that dept. And on initial BBB arbritration, AT&T office of the president obviously made changes not accepted by DirecTV policy. Any suggestion by retention to fix the matter was refused by escalations dept.

It actually took 3 additional months to get the ultimate programming restored along with the credit and promo discrepancy I had. Mostly because I waited for appeals to exhaust before updating my BBB dispute. I had the legacy programming until this month. Like I said, I'm waiting for recurring statements and retained programming to say it's resolved.

I do believe my case was complicated by the pre-existing credits and legacy programming. Before one of my cancellations, I actually asked for the existing credits to be removed, hoping that reconnections dept could establish order as promised. Though removed, didn't succeed so may have been the legacy programming alone causing conflict. I just don't know for lack of disclosure. Though there's a little disappointment from the BBB arbritration, I accepted it as is but don't regret opening it. I didn't like the hearsay on my recollection and lack of confirmation or disclosure of actual ticket that I never saw vs recorded phone agreement.

At best, I think reconnections snuck in a one time credit while misleading me to hear all credits were recurring. The missed promo was a $200 Visa gift card for returning as a DirecTV customer. In the BBB update, I agreed to accept the amount as an account credit towards service. That's fair. But reconnections dept is sneaky or just doesn't understand DirecTV policy. Even promos accepted calls for patience because the ticket incurs a billing charge but credits come days or weeks later. This also contributed to my multiple cancellations. DirecTV billing was kind enough to explain this but on a prior call to billing, the agent had nearly succeeded in getting me to barter the promos for account credit that nulled and voided their value. Lol. Cancelled again. Patience and disclosure was rare but I did find some helpful agents on multiple attempts. Had I known what I know now, wouldn't have taken much patience, trial and months to resolve this. AT&T and DirecTV like to maintain their BBB A rating.

12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I'm not sure I understand what the difference is between 'cancel' and 'dropped'.

And if it took you more than 5 months plus two BBB complaints to get that issue solved**, I'm sticking with my recommendation to the TS to not cancel any of his services for a deal. At least any services that he wants to keep.

**And from what you posted, your situation that started in July might not be resolved as you stated you haven't been billed correctly for two consecutive months yet.

13. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    Cancel didn't lose the legacy programming.

Drop would be calling DirecTV to change programming.

I didn't use the change programming in the traditional sense of calling to change programming. The programming change was offered by AT&T of the president. I believe he did this simply because I thought the legacy plan and billing was interfering with the promos and discounts that reconnections setup.

Yes, I'm still waiting for consequetive bills to confirm my account is as agreed. I've read others did as I did but I'm disclosing my issues with it. I don't think anyone else has said as much? I've not found as much as a single issue with others that shared the cancel and reconnect experience.

I do agree with your recommendation not to cancel. I fully disclosed the issues that cancelling and reconnect brought. The first post was to respond what the disconnect recommendation may be intended for. And what to expect. I did disclose that I didn't know how cancelling would effect OP's East West coast feeds. Only suggested OP call and ask about that. 2nd reply which was also a reply to you, I said the number likely won't work for a connected subscriber.

I did read just yesterday of a similar case months ahead of mine that got much of the discounts renewed after the 12 months. Since the errors staggered $25 of the monthly credits by 5 months, not sure if I'm staying after the agreed 12 months but it's wait and see.

But I do understand this thread isn't about me or the other exception. I'm just disclosing the details related to cancelling and reconnecting as I understand it. Likely not for anyone that risks to lose East West feeds.

But anyone changing their mind about leaving DirecTV after cancelling should call back before returning equipment. You don't have to wait for DirecTV to call you. The automated system will redirect the call.

14. drew64

drew64 Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    I too have tried to see if there were any discounts that could be applied to my account since it went up 15 dollars. I have choice xtra classic since I can’t remember when. I don’t really watch any west coast channels so that isn’t an issue to me. When I look at the package below mine I lose a number of channels I watch. I would switch to streaming but my wife is not tech savvy and wants to just be able to turn on tv and use guide to find her shows and record them. It’s amazing to me that they won’t offer up even a ten dollar a month discount. I refuse to get optimum which is my only other choice by me. I was even thinking of switching from Verizon cell phone service to ATT for discount but not sure how good service is by me. May need to look into it.