1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D12-500 receiver to a Computer Monitor? Anyone tried?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by integrinB4, Aug 14, 2010.

1. integrinB4

integrinB4 New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    I would like to connect my SD D12-500 (simple standard def D* receiver) to display on a computer monitor. It is an HP2009m with only a VGA and a DVI-I input on the back.

Is there some sort of converter cable that I can use to connect to either the S-Video port or the Yellow video port of the RCA connections that I can then plug into either the VGA or DVI-I port on the monitor?

Purpose: I am trying to create a secondary TV for viewing games "on the side" for the upcoming football season by using what I have laying around the house.

Will this work or is this impossible based on the signals and source? Thanks.

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Probably cheaper to buy an HD receiver than composite to hdmi/dvi converter. Even cheaper, scout around for a used SD TV set, tons of them available (many for free).

3. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    As stated, a hd receiver or hd dvr incoporates an hdmi output. You can easily and cheaply convert that to your monitors dvi input with a simple changeover adapter which you can pickup at almost any big retailer or ebay for that matter. They start as low as $1.00.

You may be able to upgrade your receiver as stated for free, or at least next to nothing ($49-99) if you don't mind the additional programming commitment extention. Besides, with an HD IRD your picture quality will vastly inprove with the HD lineup they now offer.

4. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010