daily reset message

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by JcT21, Oct 18, 2020.

1. JcT21

JcT21 Legend

Nov 29, 2004
    pikeville, ky
    this has been happening everyday for the last 2 weeks or so. at random times I get this reset required message. any ideas what could trigger that? I ran the tests and they came back ok. I have the hr54-200 and software 1420.

Attached Files:

2. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    one of my genies i had was doing that. i called in and had them just replace it

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    It shouldn't do that. Hard drive might be dying. Call DirecTV and request a replacement. It's free if you have their Equipment Protection Plan, otherwise $20 for shipping.

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That was my first thought: replace it. The problem has to be in the box and replacing it will solve the problem.

Rich

krel likes this.
  5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    When I read the OP, I had to look back at it and make sure it wasn't about a 44-500. I've had similar problems with a couple of them. Like you, I wondered about the HDD but I had two HDDs on each of the 44s and the same thing happened on each HDD on each 44. Wasn't the HDDs, not four of them, external and internal. But, I would not be surprised if it was caused by the HDD, most of the problems we see seem to be caused by them.

Rich

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What do you do when you get that warning?

Rich

7. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    AGREE!!! wich i did but the moron running the computer @ AT&T had me set up for a whole brand new install instead of just drop shipping one via fedex:mad::(. i refused the install as it wasn't needed nor was i going to commit to another 2 year over defective hardware..

Rich likes this.
  8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The diagnostic tests will tell you if an HDD has failed, they will not tell you the HDD is degraded to the point where it becomes problematic. At this point, it doesn't matter what causes it to reboot; you're gonna have to get a replacement for the box. You could put an external drive on the 54, see if that fixes the reboots. That will tell you if the HDD is the culprit. The easiest way to get through this is to get the 54 replaced.

Rich

9. JcT21

JcT21 Legend

Nov 29, 2004
    pikeville, ky
    the first few times i declined because i was watching tv. then i kept getting the message so i rebooted it like it wanted. it prompted everyday thereafter.

10. JcT21

JcT21 Legend

Nov 29, 2004
    pikeville, ky
    the internal green drive is 5yrs old, made in 2015. this box was a protection plan replacement back in the early summer. I assume the drive was likely nearing the end of its life. i had a few ssd drives laying around my workshop so i opened up the box and installed a new 1TB western digital SSD blue drive. its been going all night and day and so far its made huge improvement. the menu is snappy and boot times are much better too. so far today I have not received the error message. but if it does happen again with the new ssd installed ill put the green drive back in and have the receiver replaced.

11. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    Yea, sounded like a bad HDD. Now with your SSD in there, you won’t be returning that box anytime soon, and you’ll be spoiled with the speed of the SSD. It will continue to grow and you and you’ll never use a HDD ever again!

Rich likes this.
  12. JcT21

JcT21 Legend

Nov 29, 2004
    pikeville, ky
    i hope you are right. dealing with customer service is a PIA most of the time. replacing a spin drive with an ssd is the single best upgrade you can do for a computer. ive been using ssd's in all my devices since the intel x25 64gb came out in 2008. this is the first time ive put one in a dvr. i was concerned about the life of the ssd but they do have a pretty good read/write life expectancy. chances are ill be on a new upgraded box before this thing dies. the overall performance of the dvr is night and day different. i started to use a 2tb toshiba m.2 nvme in a sata adapter but was concerned about heat. those nvme drives get pretty darn hot. my samsung 970 nvme gets upwards of 90*c or more during heavy use even with a fan on it, but the R/W performance is incredible. so the wd blue ssd it was. plenty of space, super fast and stays cool, even under heavy usage.

still no reset message with the new ssd. i think it might be cured :)

jimmie57 likes this.
  13. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Using an NVMe drive for a DVR is huge overkill, since it can't benefit from the additional performance (especially with the SATA adapter) Weren't you able to find native SATA drives of that size that cost less?

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Thanks. So, it's not randomly rebooting. Interesting.

Rich

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Have you read this thread?: What happens if I put a 1TB SSD in my HR44-700?

Rich

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'm pretty sure the old HDDs cause most of the problems we see on the HRs in the HRs. If D* had any idea what doing the right thing was, they'd put new HDDs in the HRs during the refurb process. Of course, that will never happen. Sticking an SSD on my 44 was one of the best things I've ever done to a DVR. I don't think you'll see that warning again. I've been using the WD Blue SSDs for a few months, and they work well in the HRs.

BTW, I have a new grammar checker and it kinda yells at me if I don't let it run. It changed your post.

Rich

17. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    you can't use an pci-e ssd in an system with only an sata bus.
    There are pci-e and sata m.2 drives.

18. JcT21

JcT21 Legend

Nov 29, 2004
    pikeville, ky
    yeah i had several sata ssd 2.5 drives and ended up going with the 1tb wd. i was only considering the toshiba m.2 drive enclosed in a sata 2.5 adapter because it was 2tb in size & i have a lot of those. but i had concerns about heat. even if they run at reduced speeds those toshiba m.2 drives get hot. using the regular spin drive the internal temps were averaging around 143*. with the ssd installed temps are hanging around at 81* and completely silent.