1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daily Show

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by smiddy, Oct 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Oct 28, 2010 #1 of 112
    smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
  2. Oct 28, 2010 #2 of 112
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Yes ... the entire show from credits beyond the end credits was the interview. For some reason instead of trimming the interview to fit time and sending people to the website they aired it all (bumping back Colbert). I don't blame them ... since this was a major "get".

Some complained at even the thought of a sitting president lowering himself to be on a show like Stewart's. But I see it as part of the "new media". Direct to the viewer without going through the traditional news networks.

I felt the interview was respectful. Opinions will vary on whether or not it was "hard hitting" but one must remember that this is a comedy show. Poke a little fun but don't set out to get your guests/targets fired (like Sanchez was). :)

BTW: I believe it would be nice if the other side got "equal time".

3. Oct 28, 2010 #3 of 112
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
  4. Oct 28, 2010 #4 of 112
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    There's no other side for a president in office. If it were a presidential election year, then I could see the need.

5. Oct 28, 2010 #5 of 112
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I think staying away from politics altogether would be a grand plan.

6. Oct 28, 2010 #6 of 112
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    More importantly... the Daily Show is a comedy show that picks on all sides... so there is no "other side" to that.

7. Oct 28, 2010 #7 of 112
    Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Apart from any political slant, it was just plain very pained and awkward for both Obama and Stewart. Neither came off well at all. Painful to watch. Obama was defensive and snippy, Stewart pulled all his punches and had no idea what to say.

8. Oct 28, 2010 #8 of 112
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Dude.... :rolleyes: :lol:

9. Oct 28, 2010 #9 of 112
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The Daily Show gave an entire episode ... extended length ... to a single guest who represents one side of the political spectrum. If the conversation were purely on non-political topics (for example, an appearance on Mythbusters to promote active science experiments for children) it could be considered benign. But they spoke on political issues and Mr Stewart didn't offer any serious rebuttal.

When other important guests have been on the show at best they get half the show ... with heavy edits and "the full interview" available only on the Internet. Not an extended length show where the guest is given full freedom to speak.

That being said since he's not running for office (at the moment) so legally the show is off the hook. They make no claim of being balanced ... so just consider it a fun interview. BTW: The issue was raised in the article quoted.

10. Oct 28, 2010 #10 of 112
    Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Well you would have thought that Obama coming on a comedy show would be armed with a few more jokes. That deal where Obama angrily pushed the coffee cup away from him set the whole cold, confrontative tone. Comedy is not pretty sometimes.

While the above is all true, Obama aggressively turned it into a highly politicized defense of his policies. Bill Maher could have handled last night masterfully. Stewart was left stammering. And I like him, but he was just out of his element last night.

That's why Obama wouldn't go on the Maher show. Maher's not afraid of anybody.

11. Oct 28, 2010 #11 of 112
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    While some may (right or wrong) have distain for Mr. Obama...he is typically referred to as Mr. President, as opposed to "Dude". ;)

12. Oct 28, 2010 #12 of 112
    Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The Daily Show is a comedy show... airing on Comedy Central... and shouldn't be taken seriously even if every once in a while they can't help but talk about serious things.

It wasn't as funny as it could have been... but it wasn't something I expected to be a hard-hitting interview. I am continually amazed by people (especially some of the other NEWS networks) who criticize Jon Stewart and company for not hitting guests hard...

It is a COMEDY show!

When CNN or FOX or MSNBC or (fill in your news show) has a guest, then I expect (but am always disappointed) them to tackle serious things. I don't have that expectation for a comedy show on a comedy network.

The fact that the Daily Show and Jon Stewart ever get criticized for not being serious enough is almost comedy in and of itself! Seriously.

I'm not sure why anyone would even remotely expect it. We've had political people appear on Saturday Night Live, but no one expects them to tackle serious issues or be grilled there... It's the same thing.

I guess the Daily Show does such a good job at parodying the news that some people no longer get that they are parodying the news.

13. Oct 28, 2010 #13 of 112
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    As noted, he's had other interviews where he hit very hard and did not air the full interview. With some it seemed like he was barely able to make it through the interview due to his disagreement with their position. Politely sitting back and letting someone talk isn't funny.

It IS a comedy show ... so make it funny. Falling back on the excuse of "I'm not supposed to be fair" is cheap when they put themselves forward on a serious note.

Use Saturday Night Live as an example ... they rip people to shreds with their jokes and never forget that they are a comedy show when politicians stop by for a visit. They don't have the identity crisis.

Which newscaster was Jon parodying when he sat back and let the guest talk for the entire show? There was no parody.

14. Oct 29, 2010 #14 of 112
    Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Amazingly, though, I see Jon Stewart and his comedy show ripped and held to a higher standard than the supposed serious news channels and interviewers.

That's what bugs me.

Why is an inexperienced interviewer on a comedy show being held to a higher standard of professionalism than pretty much every serious news network and their corresponding shows & hosts?

Frankly, IF I worked for one of the serious news networks I wouldn't even dare criticize Stewart and his show for not asking hard-hitting questions when all my ducks clearly aren't on the same page, much less in a row!

IF Jon Stewart ever did a completely fair and unbiased serious interview it would be exactly 1 more than I've seen on any of the news networks do in my adult life... and that's very sad, considering those cable news networks are supposed to be doing just that on a daily basis.

15. Oct 29, 2010 #15 of 112
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I enjoyed the show. The whole purpose of the show was to get the younger viewers out to vote. Those same younger voters who got Obama elected. Obama knows this, Stewart knows this. I didnt see any talking points that havent already been covered on mainstream media The viewers who watch the Daily Show, but spurn watching mainstream media were the target, and it was a bullseye. We will see if it worked Nov 2nd.

16. Oct 29, 2010 #16 of 112
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That is a bit harsh. I know that each network seems to have it's overall biases but not ONE unbiased serious interview? Not even from an interviewer who bucked the mold of their network?

17. Oct 29, 2010 #17 of 112
    armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I guess I just saw the interview as the president acknowledging the fact that there is a huge rally in Washington this weekend. It is a big elephant in the room right now and without endorsing it or snubbing it politically, he did a guest appearance on the show instead.

18. Oct 29, 2010 #18 of 112
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    You hit the nail on the head.

"A parody is a work created to mock, comment on, or make fun at an original work, its subject, author, style, or some other target, by means of humorous, satiric or ironic imitation" according to Wikipedia.

The Daily Show does that well each and every day. Most every day they offer parody on all the 24/7 news channels which clearly deserve it. Fewer days they offer parody on the broadcast network news. And, of course, they offer parody on the subjects of the news including the Obama Administration.

Wikipedia also notes: "Often, the most satisfying element of a good parody is seeing others mistake it for the genuine article."

Indeed, The Daily Show is very satisfying because others see it as a genuine news/talking heads show. That's why for us it is the one show we never miss. With that said....
    The problem with that theory is to my knowledge he didn't offer to appear on Glen Beck's show prior to that other rally.

IMHO because of the October 30 "happening" the President almost had to appear on The Daily Show to acknowledge a core group crucial in the 2008 election, members of which also happen to make up the vast majority of Stewart's audience - people under 30, particularly college students. Many are disillusioned with politics after becoming excited in 2008, a letdown which happens to every generation.

The “Rally to Restore Sanity (or Fear)” is in itself a kind of parody, but one in which they can participate in. They know parody is a subtle form of criticism.

19. Oct 29, 2010 #19 of 112
    Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    The point is, when Stewart has other serious guests on his brief interview segments, he can get pretty tough and specific with his questions and follow ups, in between the quips. He totally softballed Obama except the one time about Geitner where he nailed him pretty good. But he didn't follow up on it the way he would have with anybody else.

Bill Maher would have mopped the floor with Obama. No prisoners.

20. Oct 29, 2010 #20 of 112
    armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    The only time I have ever watched Glen Beck, funny enough, has been from Daily Show clips. But I take from that, his show is not really a guest appearance type show. Not that it would have happened anyway.

That's my point. It was the only way to connect without hijacking the whole event with a speech or appearance. I think he knows how it would look if he did.