1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dancing with the Stars S10 Semi-Finals: OAD 5/17/10

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Stuart Sweet, May 18, 2010.

Who should go home?

1. Evan and Anna

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Chad and Cheryl

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Nicole and Derek

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  4. Erin and Maks

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Well, I'm late in watching, but I believe that I can sum up the judging in a single word:

Softball.

What, you thought that word would be "credibility?" Definitely not.

I guess that I should go back to judging for myself. Too many 10s, not enough criticism.

2. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    I was disappointed that Nicole didn't get to do her tango encore. Evan was good, but it didn't come up to the sheer beauty of Nicole's dance. It's as though the judges are at it again ... trying to influense the vote, I mean.

Chad should go home, but if Erin leaves, that's ok too.

With my luck, it'll be one of the top two. :nono:

3. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    My biggest problem this week:

Erin's solo was too risque for Len but then he turns right around and practically licks the floor that Nicole was doing the same thing on? Be fair. Other than that, the right person went home.

4. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Hee-hee :eek2:, I plum forgot just now that it was the results show that I watched last night. Yes, Jody, the right party got sent pacling.

5. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    85 should have gone home a while ago, but there was no one else I particularly thought should still be there, with the possible exception of Pamela.

There's something about Erin that, as I said before, I can only describe as a lack of natural grace. Some of her movements seem jerky, and she just can't seem to smooth them out.

Evan has improved drastically from the start of the show, for which he will probably be rewarded.

I think Nicole is a beautiful dancer and a ringer. She really is a professional dancer, and it's highly unfair to have her compete. That said, of course, she gave performances some weeks where she was the only reason to have watched. :D

6. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    A few months back I said and felt the same about Nicole. Now I see her as the only viable contestant that can be counted on to be consistent and artistic. It helps that she has Derek for a pro partner since he's in a league of his own.

If Evan wins this, it's a travesty, pure and simple. Regardless of what you think of Nicole, she's proven that she has a heart and a natural gift, and not just a Gold medal from an unrelated sport.

But giving it to Evan is exactly what I think will happen - if my Shawn Johnson recollections hold true.

7. jodyguercio

Aug 16, 2007
    Bitter, party of one your table is now ready.......:lol:

You thought Donnie deserved to win last year too, while Mya was clearly the better dancer........

8. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Make that a bitter party of two. :p

9. jodyguercio

Aug 16, 2007
    :lol:

We going dutch?

10. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    You betcha! :grin:

Seriously, tell me what you think ... Did Emmitt really outdance Mario in Season 3? Did he do it convincingly enough to win the title?

11. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    In the end it won't matter to me who wins. It should probably be Ms. Scherzinger because she is the best dancer. But then again, Ms. Andrews has certainly come the furthest.

For me the biggest hurdle these last few seasons has been that for a show called "Dancing with the Stars,"there are fewer and fewer stars. Even if you accept that a sports figure could be a "star," which is reasonable... the "star" level has been fairly low.

12. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    +1 It quickly turned into a re-launch vehicle for the has-beens. I don't think I've ever seen an A-list star on the show.

13. jodyguercio

Aug 16, 2007
    I'm a sports guy, no A list sports stars really? Just the one of the greatest running backs to EVER play ( Barry was better ) and undoubtedly the greatest wide receiver ever. Going even deeper into my personal list of sports greats, the only man to ever win 7 All-Around titles at the National Finals rodeo. The lead singer of the PCD isn't A List? Erin Andrews one of the most recognizable faces on the most watched sports networks, not A list? But I get the point. No big name movie or tv stars. Stuart, you don't consider Ms Leachman A list?

14. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I'll take your examples and agree there are some A-listers you've mentioned. But for every A-lister, there are three people I've never heard of. Take... (needed to look up the name) Aiden Turner for example.

15. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Oh, ok, you're a sports guy ... So what's next? Would-be a-listers like Kareem or Kournikova or Tiger or Bird or [fill-in-your-favorite-here]?

Where are Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe, Deniro, Hanks, Depp, Pitt, Clooney or Blanchett and Streep, Kidman, Roberts, Diaz, Jolie, Lopez? You know... the real a-listers ... not sports personalities. What season were they on?

Not all "personalities" on the show are strangers. Some are endearing names that will stay with us no matter what ... Hamilton, Leachman, Seymour, Newton, Lucci, but none of them are a-listers by today's use of the term ... they used to be, maybe

Before this season I had never heard of Nicole. I may love her dancing and think she deserves to win, but she is not what I would consider an a-lister. Same goes for Evan.

And the list is dwindling. With every season comes a new horde of has-beens I never knew were beens.

[Edited to add:] Of course, all of this would be academic if they just changed the name to "Dancing With Celebrities". :D

16. jodyguercio

Aug 16, 2007
    All of the, I'll call them, sports personalities were at one time the greatest in their sport with the exception of Ms Kournikova. How can that not be a-list?

To get any of the people you have listed there would be next to impossible. Why would any of them want to come on the show? It does nothing for them.

17. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Then you basically agree - at least in principle - that the show has no a-listers and to some degree is a magnet for those trying to regain lost luster. I know I'm reading between the lines here. You're not directly saying that, but that's the gist I get from your response.

18. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Come on folks. The competitors in Season 1 were Kelly Monaco, John O'Hurley, Joey McIntyre, Evander Holyfield, Rachel Hunter, and Trista Sutter. Who???

In Season 2 you had "footwork friendly" Jerry Rice, a retired older sports figure, competing against Drew Lachey, a younger "footwork friendly" singer. It was an interesting competition and the presence of Kenny Mayne and George Hamilton could be written off as fun entertainment.

But the show has always been short on A-list names other than sports figures.

19. jodyguercio

Aug 16, 2007
    Every sports figure that has been on the show was or still is A-List, thank you Phrelin. I just think that if you were a-list you are always considered a-list. Name recognition alone for most of these people makes viewers watch.

20. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    You should look up Jim Ulmer, the inventor of The Ulmer Scale and by which actors are pitted against a 100-point evaluation of their bankability and ability to headline and deliver a movie. Granted, the popular usage of the term now includes others outside of the acting profession, but I would hardly consider retired sportsmen or even actors as permanent residents of any kind of list, A-, B- or C-. Other than B-list and C-list, no A-list celebrities have graced the dance stage so far - and probably for the reasons you have already stated.

The only other "celebrity" that hangs out on this show are the newly-created ones that are either trying to capitalize on their recent celebrity status or trying to extend their 15-minutes of fame. They are the younger ones (for the most part and Kate is the exception) and the ones that usually take home the mirror ball. I don't begrudge them. Heck, I actually root them on.

There have been many actors and sports celebrities that have great and lasting name recognition, but I wouldn't consider them as A-listers... just great and endearing personalities - long past their prime and popularity, but who still have the ability to tug at your heart.