1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dancing with the Stars Season 9 Final Four: OAD 11/16/09

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Stuart Sweet, Nov 16, 2009.

Who should go home?

1. Joanna Krupa and Derek Hough

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Mýa and Dmitry Chaplin

30.0%
  3. Kelly Osbourne and Louis van Amstel

40.0%
  4. Donny Osmond and Kym Johnson

30.0%
  1. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Folks, again due to scheduling conflicts I won't be able to review this week... feel free to start without me.

2. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    I really want Kelly to get in over Donny, though I have nothing against him. Mya seems a shoe-in to win unless she falls down during a couple of her performances next week.

3. Karen

Karen Godfather

Oct 4, 2007
    I want both Kelly and Donny to stick around another week. Sorry Joanna...

4. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Of all the dancers left, Kelly is, IMHO, the weakest. While it would have been a toss-up between her and Aaron, now that he's gone, I think it's her turn to exit. I really like what she's maturing into, but the reality is that she's just not that good.:(

Donny is a showman and it shows. I don't see him winning the whole thing, but it's a voting program, so anything can happen. :confused:

Joanna has a chance, but it didn't help her cause with ther voting public to show her reviewing Mya videos. :nono:

Mya's on track to win the ball, but remember, it's not about skill here, it's about popularity. :eek2:

5. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    So right, but I do enjoy her performances and would like her to stay.

He is actually the third best right now. I'm surprised any of them could remember all three dances! That's a lot to learn in a week!!

She still just doesn't have the natural grace that these dances need. Whenever she and Derek do some robotic movements, she's in her element and does great! But it was just as well that they saved the money from the ballet lessons--she's so tall she never could have made it as a ballerina. Of course, that kind of learning is good for everyone, so I'm just being facetious (not fascist). :lol:

She's one of the best dancers to have been on this show, and she had three excellent routines last night. She and Dmitri make a great couple, and for me his choreography has been good, in that it primarily showed Mya's abilities. She ought to win whether dance or popularity contest as I don't think these women have as high name recognition among the typical voter (whoever that is) as, say, a Shawn Johnson would. (I hope I haven't just jinxed this!) :D

6. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Charise ... Agree ... I don't see how the voting system can deliver anything but the favorite (vs. the most talented). That's why Donny (IMHO) is a dark horse, regardless of a 3rd place ranking.

Other than songs I've never heard, and a stint on the Chicago Movie (most prominently in the Cell Block Tango), I've never heard of Mya and I would never recognize her.

But Donny, OTOH, I grew up with. If not The Osmonds, then Donny as a solo artist or as part of the Donny and Marie show or the Pyramid gameshow ... see where I'm going with this?

It's been a fallacy all along to think that the outcome would be anything but a popularity contest. I don't think anyone would admit that they think Shawn was a superior dancer to Gilles.

Of course, I think you agree with this in principal. The real question is: who's more favorite than the other?

All that said, I'd like to see Mya (the true talent) take first place... but I am bracing for a dissapointment.

7. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Along those lines, I think there are also Pro dancers that have bigger followings than others. I think Derek seems to have a lot of followers so he may be balacing out Joanna somewhat.

It did seem like Kelly had a much bigger response form the in studia crowd, so if that transfers over to real life voters, I thik she will beat Donny this round.

8. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I'm so disappointed with the results show tonight, seeing Joanna go home and Donny stay. I. Do. Not. Like. Donny's. Act.

I'm tired of his "charm" and recoil every time he echoes the judges' comments and runs up to the judges' desk when they are critiquing his performance. I cringe just listening to him try to explain away his dance.

I so enjoyed watching Joanna and thought she was the closest competitor to Maya, but now I think the championship has just been awarded to Maya - it's hers to lose.

My prediction for the finale: Maya (1), Donny (2), then Kelly (3). Too many people, for reasons I do not understand, must clearly think Donny is a better dancer than far too many other celebrities ...

9. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    I agree. It's definately not a "who's the best dancer" vote but a popularity/who has the most fan support vote.

On "Do you think you can dance" at least the judges say from the getgo that the best won't necessarily win once the public starts to vote.

10. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    Kelly will win for the same reason Emmit Smith won, a larger fan base. (her and Ozzy's)

11. Charise

Jan 25, 2004
    I hope Mya wins because she's worked hard and has the "gift" of dance. If Kelly or Donny wins, it's because they've convinced the voting audience of their sincerity and effort. Mya is the least known to me, but I thought younger people would know her from her CDs.

They have all worked very hard, and though this season started with way too many "celebrities," it's come down to some good dancers these past few weeks. I can understand how any of the remaining three might win, but I think they will have to dance well next week. The free-style can get out-of-hand, but these are three good choreographers, so it should be fun to watch!

12. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    In there lies the fallacy ... if he wins, it won't be because he's the best dancer - instead it will be because he's the most popular.

13. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Shades of Emmit and Shawn! ... Watch what you say!!! :D

14. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Totally concur with your first paragraph.

I have reservations about the second, though. You have a kind heart and a keen appreciation for talent, but unfortunately, there is no guaranty that hard work and gift-of-dance will be rewarded. If last season is any indicator, all they'll have to do is show up and wave. The rest will be decide by the popular vote.

15. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I agree. My tongue was firmly in cheek when I typed that sentence.

16. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    :bang Missed it ... sorry.

17. Charise

Jan 25, 2004
    You are probably correct, Henry, but the audience has come through occasionally, so I'm hoping for the best. :D

18. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Well, at least two of us are crossing our fingers, eh? :D

Henry

19. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    I was just sitting here thinking a few random thoughts about this season so I thought I would throw them out there and see what you guys (and gal :grin:) think:

• For me, this season has been a total let down. Outside of Mya, all the "dancers" were pretty much lacking. If the winner isn't Mya, then for sure this season has been all about who's name people remember the most (Donny) not talent.
    • I don't recall a performance show that was shorter than 1.5 hours. Even tonight's show, only three dancers and it's going to take an hour and a half.
    • Finally, not sure when the next season starts, but I truly truly hope that the casting people make a real effort to try and find "A-List" stars that are willing and able to participate next season. That way, the show can get back to being about the dancing and not who's trying to get their name back out there.

So with that, bring on the two so-so dancers and Mya.

20. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Next season definitely needs to have fewer contestants and they have to be down to 2.5 horus/week max, not the 3 or 4 hours we've had to endure this season. That's much too much ...