1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dancing with the Stars Week 6: OAD 4/13/09

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Stuart Sweet, Apr 14, 2009.

Whom have the producers convinced you to send home?

1. Ty Murray

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Shawn Johnson

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Lawrence Taylor

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Melissa Rycroft

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Lil' Kim

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Steve-O

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Gilles Marini

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  8. Chuck Wicks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Friends, it seems we're at the low point of the season. Most of us are tired of seeing at least one of the remaining eight faces, and although the finals will come before we know it, we all tend to be stuck at this point in the season wondering when it will end. Patience, dear readers, patience.

Before I start with the formal review, a bit of commentary. Of course we all agree that "reality" programming is anything but real. Even calling it "unscripted" seems like pushing it sometimes. Shows like DWTS get stuck with the label "competition shows," but at some point it becomes a real question of how much of a competition this is, and how much of a ratings or demographics grab it is. How much of the drama is staged and how much of it is simply a shrewd producer working with what he has.

It's been pointed out that the judges do watch the dress rehearsals, and it seems likely that they discuss the scores ahead of time with each other. The goal seems to be that the judges give America an entertaining display, with plenty of arguments. It's always been that way. Still, this season the scoring does seem to be just a tad more dramatic and more activist. I can't help thinking that the goal is to manipulate public opinion to an unfair degree.

We all agree that "America is not terribly good at picking its idols." We also agree there have been some cases where America got it very wrong on DWTS. Still, it seems to this author that the producers desperately want a football player to go a few more weeks, because football players are good for ratings. On the other hand, it seems the southern/western demographic is too well represented at this point so the judges have decreed that either the rodeo cowboy or the country singer must go. This all seems very independent of the actual skill of the dancers.

It's not just the judging, it's the music. It's all too easy for a dancer to heat up by getting just the right music for the dance (e.g. Ms. Kim), and too easy to see a favorite cool down by getting a bizarre music choice (e.g. Mr. Marini.) The dancers get the music they get and there's no possibility for changing.

It seems just slightly too manipulative to this author. This is a public forum and I don't wish to make accusations. So, I'll ask the producers of the program to contact me if they wish. I live in Southern California and I'll gladly come meet with you for an interview. Prove me wrong. I'd love to see the set, maybe meet with Mr. Bergeron and talk about some people we both know (we went to the same high school.)

—————
    If any of you ever get a chance to read a story by Raymond F. Jones called "A Bowl of Biskies Makes a Growing Boy," published in 1973, it's a very interesting and scary look at how a combination of common food additives and manipulative television programming can achieve control over the people. It's only barely far-fetched.

2. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Now, the review:

There was some real, genuine skill on the dance floor last night, and I'd prefer to concentrate on congratulating those dancers who really improve every week.

Ms. Kim and Mr. Hough were ON FIRE. This was one of the better jives that the program has brought us. The music was a gift... was there a better choice than a classic Elvis tune? While I agree with Mr. Goodman that this was too much show and not enough dance, what dance there was, was excellent! Well scored at 10/8/10.

Miss Johnson and Mr. Ballas danced an age-appropriate rumba (with age-appropriate wardrobe!) that used her best features and skills to their fullest. While I thought it lacked a little passion, it's to be expected from such a young dancer. I'd have liked to see Jennie Garth take on this choreography... it would have been quite different. Still, I agree with the 8/9/9.

Mr. Marini and Ms. Burke were dealt a bum hand this week in their choice of music and wardrobe. I think it was all too easy to condemn their 21st-century jive as out of character, but that is hardly their fault! I for one found it solid and enjoyable, if a little less jivey than it could have been. The judges scored it as highly as they could, at 9/8/9.

Now, the judges would very much like you to know who to vote for, so they passed out some very undeserved scores as well...

I really think Ms. Rycroft is a superb dancer and Mr. Dovolani is an excellent choreographer and yet this week they didn't quite light me up. The romance was missing from their rumba, and I for one didn't find it one point short of perfect. It certainly wasn't better than Mr. Marini's jive or Miss Johnson's rumba. Still, the judges want Ms. Rycroft to stay on the show, and gave her an undeserved 9/9/9.

It seems the producers feel strongly that we either want to see more of Mr. Taylor, or less of Ms. Sliwinska's wardrobe, so it seems he is destined to dance another day. While 7/7/8 won't guarantee him passage for another week, it's quite a bit higher than I would have gone for this slow and character-free jive. Compare this dance to Mr. Marini's and I'm not even sure they belong on the same floor!

Audiences of both genders love Ms. Hough and so it's been decreed that she must stay. As she continues to quite literally dance circles around Mr. Wicks, who came off robotic and unemotional to me, the judges heaped on the praise as well as an undeserved 8/7/8. Again, no guarantee they'll stay but it's far from the condemnation this dance deserved. Mr. Wicks is not growing as a dancer and that's the point.

With the country/western angle covered with Mr. Wicks, poor Mr. Murray takes the brunt of the judging this week. Don't get me wrong, he deserved his 6/6/6 and maybe even a little lower, but that doesn't stop me from feeling that the producers are sending a message here: We've got one too many cowboys, Mr. Murray. You and Ms. Hightower are on your way out.

Finally, we come to the mixed bag that is Mr. -O and Ms. Schwimmer. The judging was bizarre, unless you believe that the judges decided ahead of time that the dance deserved a 16 but it would be nice for one judge to give him one seven, just for effort. In that light. 7/4/5 makes sense. One question, Mr. -O... you said it was hard to look at Ms. Schwimmer in a romantic light? Why is that? She gazes adoringly at you every week. She desperately defends you. She's also not terrible on the eyes... how are you having problems drumming up a romantic thought?

This week's over, thankfully, and it's easy to forecast Mr. Murray and Mr. -O dancing it off tonight. I guess it's ok if either of them goes, that's what the producers want. For me, it would be Mr. -O.

3. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Very nice summary Stuart.

I agree with the judge who commented that Steve-O has "the dancing elegance of a lost puppy wandering all over the place".

Elimination should be an easy choice this week.

4. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    I will agree wholeheartedly on this. Too many times, a couple on the rise has gotten literally perfect music for a dance and it catapults them in the eyes of the judges and voters. The first thing that comes to my mind is Apolo and Julianne, when they got handed Carnivale de Paris for the Paso Doble - it went with teh song beautifually and wasa song people could get into. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ph5jfWr4qo Conversely, people get stuck with some crap like Lawrence did last week and it kills them. I would love to see a routine by two of the pros to that dreck. I bet they could hit it all perfectly and you would never know it.

I wonder if Steve-O will be going home this week. I just think he has a pretty huge following and they will save him. I am guessing that Ty Murray gets the boot.

5. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    Wow, it was a roller coaster ride with the scores this week! I don't recall lots of 2-point spreads very often, and I wasn't in agreement with the judges on a few.

I didn't think Lil Kim's dance was as good as the judges did and was waiting for Len to hit her with the technique lecture. None came, however, and she scored extremely well for a dance that I would have described as being almost as frenetic as Gilles's routine. I felt Gilles should have scored higher just on the complexity of the dance, which he did very well. I thought Chuck and Julianne's dance would have earned calls of "get a room," but apparently only Len and I agree on that. :eek2: I enjoyed LT's routine this week and felt it was one of his better efforts--he said he would go for it, and he seemed more relaxed. I think Ty is very likable and funny, but this is a struggle for him. Though he's done wonders from the first week, I'm afraid he will be leaving. I just think Steve-O has too many fans, though the judges are trying to even out the voting by giving him such a low score.

Great editorial, Stuart, and I always enjoy reading your thoughtful summaries. Thanks for all the time you put in on them!!:biggthump

6. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    You're very welcome, Charise :)

You and I disagree about Mr. Wicks and Ms. Hough, and I wonder why. I thought Ms. Hough was very "hot" but Mr. Wicks was very "not." He seemed to me to be oblivious to the whole thing.

Ms. Hough's connection with him made me think of the "hat rack dance" from Royal Wedding in which he achieved an amazing connection with a stiff, wooden, emotionless object. (Ouch! Sorry, Mr. Wicks, I know you're trying as hard as you can!)

7. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    I was pleased that Len was consistent in his critique of Miss Kim's and Mr. Marini's jives.

8. Charise

Jan 25, 2004
    Okay, I think Chuck is doing better than the hat rack overall, but I do see your point. :D The "get a room" remark was more for the numerous holds (and re-grasps) than for the actual dancing and was not a positive comment--definitely aimed more at her than at him.

I don't think we disagreed that much though, Stuart. Neither of us thinks he is a dancer for the same reason--too hat rack-like. :lol: And no hat rack will ever be equal to Fred Astaire's hat rack!

9. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    -O is gross. He can leave any time as far as I'm concerned... and he can take his fans with him.

10. Charise

Jan 25, 2004
    He has seemed to be trying harder than I thought he would. I thought he might be like Master P, but Steve-O, to me, seems to be making a sincere effort to do well. That said, it is time for him to leave, because the man cannot dance!

11. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Good show, weird music choices, strange scores, and no idea who is going home. Hopefully Steve-O but probably someone we don't even see coming....who I have no idea.

And you know who I blame all this weirdness on, Ted McGinley.

12. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    I, too, guess it's -O's time to go ... but I think Ty or Lawrence may be spoilers in the wings. I hope not.

After last night's Steve-O gas-a-thon, I've lost any respect or sympathy I might have had for him. The man is gross. Any points he may have earned for trying, were forfeited after disrespecting Lacey.

13. Charise

Jan 25, 2004
    Poor Ted--blamed for everything. :rolleyes: :lol:

14. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Mr. Guercio may have something... Ted McGinley has quite the reputation as a showkiller. If next season has Paula Marshall or Robbie Rist, I'd say our little show is done for.

15. jodyguercio

Aug 16, 2007
    Not that I wouldn't mind seeing Ms Marshall in some of Edyta's outfits, please producers don't whammy us some more.

16. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    To the 5 people who saw that coming, well done! Did anyone else get the feeling that everyone else was glad to see him go? Mr. Bergeron spent very little time interviewing him and even less time was spent watching him dance off into the sunset.

17. jodyguercio

Aug 16, 2007
    Finally a bottom two that reflected the dancing and not the popularity. Let's see if this keeps up. Watching last night made me wonder who was a worse dancer, he or Master P?

18. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Steve-O was a worse dancer because Master P was not a dancer at all :)

19. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    -O is gone ... hee-hee. Time for a new poll Stuart. :D

20. Charise

Jan 25, 2004
    Each season usually gets to this point where the dancing seems to be more important, and, as you say, "Finally." :D