1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark Picture on 4k Channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by BobZ, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Mar 3, 2018 #1 of 92
    BobZ

BobZ Mentor

Feb 20, 2007
    I recently got new 4k hardware installed by a Directv tech. When tuning in to 4k channels 104 or 106 the picture gets extremely dark after a minute or two. The tech stated that this is a known issue and there is no fix at this time. The stations are basically unwatchable. I tried a search in this forum to see if others are having this same issue but did not come up with anything. Are others experiencing this problem? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mar 3, 2018 #2 of 92
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    That's BS. I've had 4K service since July 2016 and have never experienced your issue. What 4K equipment did the tech install?

3. Mar 3, 2018 #3 of 92
    NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Never have that problem here. Please tell us what equipment you are using, including the TV

4. Mar 3, 2018 #4 of 92
    BobZ

BobZ Mentor

Feb 20, 2007
    Samsung tv
    • QN65Q7FAMFXZA
    • Directv C61K-700 client
    • HR54/700 Receiver

5. Mar 4, 2018 #5 of 92
    BobZ

BobZ Mentor

Feb 20, 2007
    Samsung QLED tv, C61k-700 client, HR54-700 receiver. The C61k client is being used for the Samsung 4k tv.

6. Mar 4, 2018 #6 of 92
    dminches

dminches Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    I just got my HR-54 and minis yesterday and noticed that after I tuned to 104-106 the guide was dark.

7. Mar 4, 2018 #7 of 92
    wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    The guide and other D* screen elements get dark when your TV is in HDR mode. Pretty minor glitch compared to the incredible picture quality of HDR.

8. Mar 4, 2018 #8 of 92
    BobZ

BobZ Mentor

Feb 20, 2007
    Immediately after my new hardware was installed I also noticed the guide was dark. I talked to the Directv tech that did the install and he said that is a known glitch and they were not currently working on a fix. I could live with that glitch if that was my only issue but it’s not. Almost every time I tune into either 104 or 106 the picture gets darker and darker to the point that it is unwatchable. I’m hoping this forum gives me assistance in getting to the route cause as DTV has not satisfactorily provided an answer.

9. Mar 4, 2018 #9 of 92
    I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    If I'm not mistaken there have been several issues with HLG and Samsung TVs.
    You might want to check the forums for your TV for additional assistance.

Bradman and compnurd like this.
  10. Wolfmanjohn

Wolfmanjohn Cool Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Chico, CA
    On the tv, make sure the eco-sensor and anything else "eco-" related is turned off, as well as "bd wise", if you have it. I think that stuff is under the general tab in the system section of the main menu.

Rich likes this.
  11. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
  12. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Why do you say this is BS? People have been complaining about this issue for months. The problem for me started when they began including the HDR feature. The picture used to be bright and clear. Now it is dark and over saturated to the point I no longer watch any 4k material. Tried watching golf on a 4k channel and quickly changed back to local channels. I have called several times and was told they are aware of the problem. My equipment includes a Sony XBR75X850C and the HS17. I have been enjoying channels 104 and 106 for over a year, until recently.

13. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    That's one of the risks you take as an early adopter when standards are still evolving. If the TV you choose doesn't support things that future broadcasts depend on, you lose. Just ask the people who bought 4K TVs before HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 supporting ports were on them. Or didn't support any form of HDR. Directv is using HLG for HDR, but it seems to cause problems on TVs that don't support it. There's about four or five competing HDR standards, few TVs support them all.

The same problems will occur in the future when 120 fps 4K content comes out - something exactly zero 4K TVs currently support as input. Hopefully clients will be able to drop half the frames and present it at 60 fps, but it may look a bit jerky...

14. dminches

dminches Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    If what you are saying is true then this is a major fail by DirecTV. Broadcasters need to provide content that most people can watch. Why have a standard which 1%, or less, of the viewers can even access.

I just got my Sony Projector which supports HDR. The picture on yesterday's hockey broadcast was worse on 106 than 220. That should not be.

15. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    I have a Sony 900e and an LG b6.
    4k HDR HLG from DirecTv is spectacular on both.

Bradman likes this.
  16. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Why is it a fail by Directv? HLG was designed for 4K broadcast HDR, most of the other standard e.g. Dolby were designed for prepackaged 4K HDR. Likely all cable/satellite providers will end up using HLG, though there is a newer variety of HDR10 they might use instead in the long run.

Like I said, this is a risk you take when buying products before standards are settled. If Directv limited themselves only to what "most people can watch" they wouldn't do HDR at all.

I WANT MORE likes this.
  17. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Member

Dec 7, 2017
    I disagree with your last sentence. Since HDR is a accepted technology then why not adopt the by far most watched version? From a marketing standpoint they have no choice but to do HDR so your idea of them " not doing HDR at all" is not a choice at all.

18. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    HLG HDR is an accepted technology as well, Directv didn't invent it themselves with the intention of screwing their customers. Just because people didn't do their research about the various types of HDR, what their design goals / target uses were, likely prospects for the future, and which TVs support what before buying isn't Directv's fault. You have to do all that if you buy before standards are settled, and be prepared to end up having to buy again to rectify a potential wrong decision.

Should Directv have not done 60 fps 4K since HDMI 1.4 could only support 30 fps? When they introduced 4K, very few 4K TVs on the market supported HDMI 2.0. Of course that was an "accepted technology", so it would have been silly to limit themselves based on the limitations of early adopters who leapt before they looked and bought an HDMI 1.4 only 4K TV. Same as now with HLG.

19. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Member

Dec 7, 2017
    What research exactly should we do? The Sony XBR75X850C has 2.0. Do you actually think that the average TV buyer should be expected to do in depth research looking for possible technological advancements that may be coming two years down the road and base their purchase on that? All I know is that 6 months ago my 4k was beautiful and now it's dim with dull over saturated color and lacking any wow factor. Three things have changed since then. The addition of HDR, the new GUI, and my inclusion of the HS17.

20. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Given the complexity of today's TVs that come with many features, a variety of input/output connections, and dozens of picture settings logic dictates one should do some in depth research before purchasing.

I WANT MORE likes this.