1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Darn gamers, techies & youth are ruining English language!

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Lord Vader, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    All right, can we please have the English language back?

It's bad enough nonexistent words are being officially adopted as words by Webster's and other leading sources--take the word "ginormous," for example; why was THAT approved?--but now we've got words with numbers being adopted as official "words."

When is this madness going to stop? And people wonder why our students are becoming stupider by the day (and yes, "stupider" is the correct word)!

Having changed careers from the business world, where I spent 17 years, to education, where I now teach, it's stunning to see how ill-prepared our youth are for what I call the "real world." Poor communication skills and lack of how to use grammar are two of the biggest problems I see in young men and women nowadays.

2. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    good grief... that is ridiculous...

3. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Agree 100% (with LV). :D

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I agree that good grammar and usage set a pattern of self-discipline that helps one succeed in any endeavor. However, I doubt that today's slang is any worse than that of days gone by, and it's possible that the vernacular one hears on the streets is no more accurate than it was 500 years ago.

5. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    I support both sides of what I see as two coins here. Language is richest as it evolves and grows, a living entity that expresses the current culture. "Ginormous" is today's "guesstimate", no different linguistically from FAB or rad of the 60's.

That said, I also completely agree with LV's comments about the horrendous state of education in the United States. My middle brother is a teacher, loved teaching the little ones, watching them blossom. He couldn't stand the lack of pay and the horrible lack of support for the teachers by (and from) the parents as well as the untenable position some of the laws put teachers into. (I'm trying to skirt very closely, without crossing the DBSTalk rules about politics discussion.) So my brother has left teaching children for a corporate teaching position.

Will things improve someday? I think so. I believe the pendulum swings both ways. But can be so hard to be patient...

Happy Holidays!
    Tom

6. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    w00t!

7. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I have to agree with the OP.

I see posts on other forums as well as here where I can not understand the Message title or I keep looking at the message itself hoping it will become clear what is being asked or said.

2 is not a substitute for To, or Too. It can be used for two.

o is not the same a 0 (Zero). Do you really want your paycheck to be $8oo or would you like it to be $800. I would rather pay you $8oo. $8.00 is a lot easier for me to pay.

When I see job applications that have answers such as "Sex _______ " and the answer is "once a week" Or the power goes out at a store and the clerk can not make change without a calculator. Sad.

I have had both of the above experiences. Where I work the Computer that does the invoices while at the same time adjusting inventory has no place for amount tendered. I have to figure it out. Easy!

8. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Slang is one thing, guys, but when such bogus words become officially adopted as acceptable or existent words, that's where the line is crossed.

9. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Wasn't "bogus" once a bogus word?

10. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
  11. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    No offense, but I think the "elders" of the national community need to learn to adapt and evolve a bit more. Instead of seeing something mainstream and berating it, why not try to see why it became mainstream and possibly incorporate it? Being a "techie", it baffles me daily how people fight computers and that "cursed" internet. For those who did research 20 years ago, I'm sure there is no comparison to the library back then and todays google/internet. Technology and culture will continue to grow and there is no fighting it. Those who can adapt early will most often be very successful.

12. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    No offense, but I think you kids ought to learn proper English and grammar rather than expect English and grammar to change its rules simply to accommodate the ignorance of today's youth. One doesn't change the rules of the game just because today's players are lazier than yesterday's players.

13. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I'm with Tom on this one, I think. I understand how "bogus" words become part of our accepted vocabulary, and I find myself using some of those words & terms in my everyday life. And that's alright. I'm OK with language evolving.

On the other hand, as LV pointed out, I hear young people in the street and I think to myself "Who learned them how to speak?". I understand, grammer is a royal PITA. I was NEVER good at grammar in school. But in large part, I make an effort to speak properly. And I work at it at least hard enough that I can carry on an intelligent conversation with someone and they wont be standing there looking at me scratching their head trying to figure out what the hell I'm talking about.

Sadly, the same can't be said of some of today's young people. I hear them talking and it's like a foreign language which I have no hope of deciphering.

14. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    I completely agree the key to any relationship, business or personal, is communication. What I don't agree with is the "it has to be done this way because that is how it has always been done" theory. If you look at the way people spoke just 40 years ago its completely different then now. The advent of instant messaging, texting, and email has brought on its own communication style that works well when kept within those confines. Did anyone know what "lol" stood for 15 years ago? Yet instead of trying to change the instant messaging culture and demanding people fully type out their words, we adapted. I believe the way in which you communicate dictates the words or structure you do so. So in that sense, if gamers like to use "w00t" in their online gaming world, is it really so bad?

15. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Using slang abbreviations, made up words, "word" with numerals in them, etc., is NOT the way to conduct oneself professionally. Instant Messaging lingo, Internet lingo, and all that is fine--in the proper context. I have no personal problem with it; but when I correct my students' papers or view their presentations, or when in business I had resumes come across my desk with this verbiage, I shook my head in disgust. It simply was unacceptable.

16. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    I agree with you 100 percent in that aspect. While I may be wrong, I believe this word is primarily used for internet chat/gaming only. If used in that context, I don't see an issue. As with anything though, I'm sure there will be many who misuse it.

17. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    Sure, let's go totally French and ban words like "hamburger" and "frankfurter". Those obviously aren't English words.

18. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    They're words, though, and that is the point.

19. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm completely fine with adding words to the language. I am not fine with forgetting the rules of proper grammar and usage.

20. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    I can see both sides. Take a look through the Oxford English Dictionary and you will see that words changing meaning or new words coming on teh scene is nothing new. After all, when is the last time you used the word "Faggot" to describe a bundle of sticks or twigs used for fuel? "Fag" is still a cigarette in the UK.

On the other hand, I think maybe things have gone too far when numbers can be used interchangably with letters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.