1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Data Recovery Service for Damaged Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by xarxa, Jan 25, 2011.

1. xarxa

xarxa AllStar

Nov 26, 2006
    Good evening,

My Mom accidentally dropped an external hard drive, and it now appears that the hard drive is damaged and can't be read on its own - I took it to a local computer repair shop and they took the hard drive out and tried to access it separately to no avail.

It sounds like our only option is to use a data recovery service. I understand that there are a lot of options out there and the price range varies greatly.

I thought I'd check and see if anyone on here knew of a good, yet inexpensive data recovery service for a damaged hard drive. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Good and inexpensive do not go together in that industry. Data recovery services are VERY expensive, and only worth it for VERY valuable data. I promise you, it won't begin to be worth the cost to recover some TV shows and movies.

But if you want to try, this is the place:

http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/

3. kiknwing

kiknwing Godfather

Jun 24, 2009
    Ogden, UT
    Because it sounds like a mechanical problem, your looking at at least a couple hundered . I guess this is too late nobut the golden rle for computers is backup, backup, backup.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    DriveSavers is one of the best in the industry. The nice thing is they have a deal with most hard drive manufacturers that they are authorized to open the drive without affecting a warranty if the drive still has one, though dropping it may void it.

This type of recovery certainly is cheaper than say if the system was burned in a fire but they can give you a quote.

5. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
  6. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    If the shop you took it to says the read system is mechanicaly damaged, there is little hope other than a recovery service. The reason for the cost is the labor and equipment involved. They have to disassemble the drive, remove the platters and set them up in another system to read the data.

Then there's the chance that the platters themselves are damaged.

Another possibility is that the attached circuit board is damaged but the platters and mechanical drive system are intact. It might be possible to have that board replaced.

I guess I'd have to wonder how good the local shop is that checked it and what tests they did.

7. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Drivesavers. they have some cheap, slow options now.

8. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    My company has used On Track in the past and they do good work. When my laptop drive died, I think it was between 1500 and 2500 to recover the data. IIRC, the process was basically,
    1. Send them the drive
    2. They look at it for a set fee
    3. They send you a file with readout of what they could recover and the recover price.
    4. If you decide to pay for the recovery, they restore the data to a USB drive and mail you the USB drive and your original drive.

They did my recovery about 5 years ago and I think that was the process.