1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dateline: Teen Net Model Rakes in $200k, Complains of Being "Used"

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Nick, Aug 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 7, 2002 #1 of 16
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Dateline NBC

Molly K was a child and teen beauty contest winner when she answered an ad for a modeling 'opportunity'.
    With her mother's permission and supervision, Molly began posing for non-nude pictures to be posted on a
    'teen-modeling' website intended to promote her 'career' as a model. After receiving over $200,000 as her 70%
    share of the website's take for memberships and orders of her pics and videos, Molly & mom go on Dateline
    to complain of Molly being exploited as an innocent and naive victim of an unscrupulous web site operator.
    The guy has since been arrested, not for legitimately posting the legal pics, but on other charges. Now poor
    Molly and her mother have launched their own pay website with the
    same type of depictions of Molly in equally provocative poses.

I wrote to Dateline...

"How you can portray poor Molly K as a 'victim' with a straight face? She and her not-so-clueless mom have
    clearly and cleverly bemoaned their plight to promote their own agenda, and to cap it off, you actually plugged
    the girl's own pay-per-peek website, showing the same type of content. It was not poor little Molly that was
    taken advantage of, it was Dateline and its viewers. Please ...no more sleaze."

2. Aug 7, 2002 #2 of 16
    jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    You give these guys too much credit. Molly, mom and Dateline were all in bed on this one all taking advantage of each other to everyone's mutual profit.

NBC(and they're no better and no worse then the rest) know full well this ties into the current media feeding frenzy over abducted kids and protecting daughters. Not to mention it gives them license to show those titilating teeny-bop pictures while they wring their hands and tsk tsk on the voice over. This is nothing more then psuedosophisticated Jerry Springer.

Word of advise. Stop watching this pap. Turn on Discovery, History or PBS. If you really want something to think about try UCTV, UWTV, Research, Worldlink, or FSTV for a real jolt!

3. Aug 7, 2002 #3 of 16
    Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I don't give them any credit or credence at all. I hope you don't mind if I pass on your well-intended "advise" and watch what I damn well please. Well intended, I'm sure, and certainly worth what I paid for it.

As far as your recommendation of FSTV goes, just what is it about 'Dyke TV' that motivates you to recommend such crapola? Is that how you acquired your cynicism, or does it just come naturally?

4. Aug 7, 2002 #4 of 16
    jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    Thanks for bringing me to my senses. How could I have forgotten the uplifting morality of Weakest Link, the educational value of Survivor, and of course, the intellectual stimulation of Dateline.

I've no interest in Dyke TV, but if you want to do a crapola comparison, the major network pile will beat FSTV's meager cowpie every time. Most of FSTV's(and Worldlink's) programming is poor qualtity, low budget, and often contrary to my personal views. But contrary or not, there's more food for thought in a single day then an entire season of Stone Phillips.

You are correct that my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it and obviously about as welcome. If it turns on Dyke TV, I can assure you I probably share the same sentiments. But I regard Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire, Fear Factor and Celebrity Boxing as about equally inspiring.

Back to the topic. Molly & Mom probably insisted on the plug and Dateline probably insisted on the babydoll images. I find it hard to believe NBC was naive enough to be hoodwinked by these sisters of sleaze. Therefore, it's unlikely anyone on the business end of the lens was taken advantage of. Viewers are the currency of the realm here. You may certainly disagree, but I don't see Dateline as among the innocent victims here.

5. Aug 7, 2002 #5 of 16
    jrjcd

jrjcd Arcane Movie Trivia King DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    i'm willing to be used for $200,000...

6. Aug 7, 2002 #6 of 16
    gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    And Abused? Can't get one without the other! :p

7. Aug 7, 2002 #7 of 16
    Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    "if you want to do a crapola comparison, the major network pile will beat FSTV's meager cowpie every time"

Fairly well said, Jonstad, but it appears that your bent for
    extrapolated assumptions and tangential conclusions far
    exceed your cognitive ability as shown in your off-base
    opinions as to my own personal viewing preferences.

8. Aug 7, 2002 #8 of 16
    bogi

bogi Godfather

Apr 2, 2002
    From the website:
    7/14/2002 - New Thong Raffle!
    Enter now to WIN Molly Spycam ZIP!
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And the other guy went to jail ?

9. Aug 7, 2002 #9 of 16
    bogi

bogi Godfather

Apr 2, 2002
    Judging from the visitors maybe they are not that dumb :( 200 vistors browsing the same minute I am:(

10. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I'm sure that Molly & mom are jumping and jiggling with glee even as we peek.

11. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    Its just publicity.

12. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002

I make no assumptions on your viewing habits. Your opinion appears to be since a single program is "crapola" there can be no other worthy programs on that network. The point is that NBC, the single network you confess to viewing, has it's own abundant share of crapola. If I was off-base, it was by including non-NBC shows in the list. Sorry, save for Dateline, I don't have much of a clue which networks most of these shows originate with, although I believe one or two to be NBC product.

13. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    The "New Thong Raffle" tells you all you need to know about the operation Molly and her mom have going.

I also got a good laugh out of this line, describing one of her photo shoots: "Ooops, Molly forgot her T-shirt when she changed into these construction worker overalls, and appeared for our scene shot amid a rebuilding of an old Puerto Vallarta hotel and bistro. The photographer was looking for his agua de purificada, but snapping away all the same. Once they both noticed the t-shirt was missing, a group of building workers was already hooting approval from the nearby river bridge. Molly, as always rose to meet the occasion."

14. JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Classy! And you can buy the zip file with the whole shoot for only $39.95!

15. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Is she taking 'advantage' of herself now? Should she report herself to the cops or family services? Does 'Mom' give a damn?

These are things we need to know.

16. jrjcd

jrjcd Arcane Movie Trivia King DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    just how old is molly anyway????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.