DBS Talk DVD Giveaway

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Mark Holtz, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Yes folks, new server, new contest, and it doesn't close until 11:59PM PT Friday Night!

[size=+3]DBSTalk (more than) One Day DVD Giveaway[/size]
    Conducted by Mark Holtz

[size=+1]Win one of the following DVDs:[/size]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (Click on a DVD cover for more information)​

Some of you may be wondering why such a interesting selection of movies. Well, we aim to give away movies which are worth having in your collection. Lets take a look at the titles:
    • Galaxy Quest is a comedy parodying a well known science fiction show and the lives of those actors, especially since sime aliens think that they are real adventures. I have known several people who consider this one of the best Star Trek films.
    • Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence is the followup to the cult favorite Ghost In The Shell movie.
    • Millennium Actress is a surprise favorite film when a documentary film crew interviews a Japanese actress whose life unfolds in the films that she stars in. There are a few twists in this film too.
    • Spirited Away is also a favorite film, and clearly deserves the Best Animated Film Oscar. Think of it as Alice In Wonderland with fantastic imagery.
    • Standing In The Shadow Of Motown-Contributed by Richard King who says, "They played on more #1 hits than the Beatles, the Beach Boys, the Rolling Stones and Elvis combined... Presenting the greatest hit machine in the history of popular music, 'The Funk Brothers' with some fantastic music and guests thrown in for extra measure."
    • Total Recall may not be a classic film by the Guvernator, but this special effects-filled film is fun to watch.
    • Witch Hunter Robin is the fourth volume of a good thinking-mans anime series. The STN is a organization that goes after rogue craft users (or witches). In this volume, Robin is now a fugitive from the very same organization that she once worked for.
    All are presented in their original aspect ratio. Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence and Millennium Actress are in Japanese only with English subtitles. In addition, Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence is the V4 version with corrected subtitles.

How to enter the contest
    1. A link will be provided to Deep Space Franchise (which is operated by DBS Talk Moderator Mark Holtz). You will fill out a on-line form with your DBS Talk name, your actual name and address for shipping out your prize, a selection of the prize, and whether the prize should be sent to you or donated to the troops in Iraq. Address can be a PO Box or even a work address.
    2. The day will run approximately 27 hours from around midnight Eastern time until around midnight Pacific time.
    3. A random drawing will be performed, and one person will be drawn. Any unawarded prizes will be held for future contests. No substitution of prizes. Unless otherwise noted, all DVDs are shipped in their original shink wrap packaging with security labels. However, the DVDs will be shipped "as-is" without warranty or playability on a DVD player.
    4. Prize will be shipped out via USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation. A USPS delivery confirmation number will be sent via personal message and/or e-mail.
    5. If selected and the prize selected is "Take a chance... surprise me!", then a DVD will be randomly selected and awarded.
    6. If the winner of the DVD elects to have the DVD shipped "to the troops", then it will be part of a care package that is currently being collected for shipment to troops overseas. Shipment date to be announced.
    7. Once shipped, DBSTalk is not responsible for any lost or misdirected mail.
    8. Once the drawing is held, all entries will be discarded.
    9. All DBSTalk.com contest participants are required to be members of DBSTalk.com in good standing to enter the contest. DBS Talk staff members are allowed to participate in this contest. While participants from around the world are allowed to play, prizes will be only awarded to residents of the United States.
    10. The "DBS Talk DVD Giveaway" is run by DBS Talk. It is not affiliated with DirecTV, Dish Network, Voom, Sky Angel, it's dealers or affiliates, or any studio or distributing company.
    11. All rules concerning game play are subject to modification. If modification of the rules becomes necessary, the rule changes will be posted at DBSTalk.com.
    12. Winners of any DBSTalk.com contests are eligible to win only one time in every 12 month period. Second place finisher may continue to enter. Winners of the "DBSTalk DVD Giveaway" will be considered second place finishers for purposes of determining eligibility for current and/or future DBSTalk contests.
    13. Odds of winning is solely dependent on the number of entries.
    14. DBSTalk.com is not responsible for weather incidents (such as ice storms) or any other acts of God that may prevent the participants from entering. DBSTalk.com and the DBSTalk.com contest coordinator are not responsible for entry errors or for transmission errors.
    15. DBSTalk.com is in no way responsible for any problems, technical malfunctions or traffic congestion on the Internet or on the DBSTalk.com or Deep Space Franchise web site which may limit entries in this contest.
    16. Any attempt by a participant to deliberately damage the DBSTalk.com web site or the Deep Space Franchise web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such an attempt be made, DBSTalk.com and Mark Holtz reserve the right to seek damages from the offending participant to the fullest extent of the law.
    17. Contest void where prohibited by law.
    [size=+3]Good Luck![/size]
    [size=+2]THE CONTEST IS CLOSED![/size]

2. Ric

Ric Godfather DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 26, 2002
    Not working for me - I tried it twice and got the following error each time I click Submit:

Cannot run the FrontPage Server Extensions on this page: "http://www.deepspacefranchise.net/dbstalk/testing.html"

3. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Ackkkk.... and I'm not near a machine with Frontpage. Grrrrr..... gotta get a CGI form without frontpage extensions.

Okay, I've kludged it, so it should run fine now. Sorry about that. :banghead:

4. Ric

Ric Godfather DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 26, 2002
    that did it! nice job as always

5. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Okay, it's fixed properly now.

6. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    CONTEST RULING: The contest will not end at 11:59 PM PT Friday night. Instead, it will end at a time of my choosing which will be no earlier than 11:59 AM PT Saturday morning.

7. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Just a note... it is now well past 11:59 AM PT Saturday morning, which means that I can close the contest at any time.

8. May 1, 2005 #8 of 10
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    And, it is now CLOSED!

9. May 1, 2005 #9 of 10
    JohnGfun

JohnGfun Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 16, 2004
    So, Who won?

10. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Well, I PM-ed the last contest winner, Coribright, to pick a number. That person is Larry Caldwell who said "Take a chance... surprise me!" and elected to send a DVD to the troops. And, the DVD going to the troops is Total Recall.

I hope nobody asks for the methodology of the drawings, as it's slightly more complicated than printing out names and putting them in a fishbowl. However, I made every attempt to ensure that the date/time of the entry doesn't affect your chances to win.

In case you're wondering:
    Total Recall - 23
    Galaxy Quest - 20
    Take a chance - 17
    Spirited Away - 6
    Ghost In The Shell 2 - 4
    Millennium Actress - 2
    Standing In The Shadows of Motown - 2
    Witch Hunter Robin - 0

Send it to:
    me - 48
    troops - 26