1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DD 5.1 "Sound" on the Giants / Atlanta game yesterday

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by TBlazer07, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Jan 9, 2012 #1 of 15
    TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Was it just me or were the announcers voices much much lower then all the background noise. Sometimes I could barely hear them over the crowd noise and had to turn the volume WAY up. Sounds like the engineering truck turned their mic's way to low. It wasn't that the crowd covered them up because they were so loud, it was like their audio was suppressed.

Everything else was normal including commercials. Watched other games and it seemed normal.

It shouldn't have made a difference unless you had DD 5.1 on so only those with DD need respond. :)

2. Jan 9, 2012 #2 of 15
    JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    I noticed it, too, but I watched it via OTA, and it was the same via both Miami and West Palm stations.

3. Jan 9, 2012 #3 of 15
    TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    I guess the engineers in their truck were sleeping. Didn't even think of trying it OTA which would have answered my question.

4. Jan 9, 2012 #4 of 15
    JeffBowser

Dec 21, 2006
    I watched via 3 channels, the two OTA and the DirecTV feed. It was quite interesting to see the differences. By far the best was Miami OTA, no artifacting at all. West Palm was awful, just awful, bit starved as hell, which surprised me. DirecTV wasn't much better, since their feed is my West Palm station that was doing such a bad job.

5. Jan 9, 2012 #5 of 15
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    What in the world would cause an OTA station to chop bits?? Do they downsize and use just one feed, so they can pump to DIRECTV® and cable and air at the same time, same pipe?

6. Jan 9, 2012 #6 of 15
    JeffBowser

Dec 21, 2006
    Well, they have 3 sub-channels, all of which remained active during the game...

7. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    The problem sure seems to be Fox. Today's Giants / GB (Go Giants!) was just as bad as last weeks game. The booth guys voices were way below what they should be while "crowd noise" was normal. This time I watched the game LIVE directly off my TV antenna via the antenna input on the TV and not through DirecTV box (I'm 18 miles from NYC) and it was still pretty lousy.[/U] When I turned off DD on my TV it got a "little" better, when I turned off DD on my AVR (when watching DirecTV) it got a little better as well but it was still lousy. The problem definitely seems to be on Fox's end and really bad with DD5.1. Like the center channel is 50% too low.

8. JeffBowser

Dec 21, 2006
    Agreed

9. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I heard it too. Remember - FOX has the worst PQ of the "big 4" and the worst AQ for football. Actually, all their live stuff is crap compared to, say, CBS.

10. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    That has been a long-time problem with FOX's football coverage in my opinion - their 5.1 mix is always way off. They pump up so much crowd noise into the surround channels it's ridiculous; between that and their stupid animated CGI robot football player graphics, it's like watching a 50 year old's idea of what 20-somethings want to play as a videogame. Yesterday I set my a/v receiver to DD 2.0 instead so I could actually hear and understand the commentary.

(By contrast, I muted the commentary as much as possible during the CBS broadcast of the Ravens-Texans game - Dierdorf is the biggest blowhard in TV sports. Geez. :nono: )

11. JeffBowser

Dec 21, 2006
    Last week I finally retired my venerable 10 year old HD rear projection screen in favor of a Sharp Quattron. This was not visible on my RP, but the football occasionally left trails when flying through the air on the LCD on Fox, but did not do so on CBS. I would have thought the opposite to be true, or at least that both would show some trailing, but Fox's trail was sometimes 3-4 footballs long.

12. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Exactly, but I don't remember it being this bad last year and I absolutely hate that idiotic "robot" with it's accompanying stupid sound effects (and I'm well beyond 50). :)

13. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Size? LCD?
    [I haven't seen any trailing on my small Sammy LCD nor large plasma.]

I noticed some very big drops- like a second and a half- maybe a dozen times on the Fox broadcast, but the picture was excellent. (On TWC while on vac.)

14. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    Glad I wasn't the only one trying to adjust my surround volumes and EQ during that game.

In the end I plugged the RCA red and white in just to get the game in stereo so I could hear the announcers.

15. JeffBowser

Dec 21, 2006
    The RP was a 65". The Quattron is an LED array backlit LCD. It is 70"