1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

De-Activated DVR's

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by DeweySat, Aug 10, 2013.

1. DeweySat

DeweySat Legend

Aug 31, 2008
    Arizona
    I am planning on de-activating our HR22 and HR24, and replace them with the HR44 Genie. Will DirecTV require that I return the replaced DVR's?

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    From the posts I read and my personal experience in late May the definite answer is nobody knows.
    My HR23 died and they wanted it back.
    Others have reported that theirs did and they did not want it back.
    The same is true for some of the other models, even the 24.
    Some have said that they were told if it is working that they do want them back.

Only the person on the phone when you do this can tell you if they do or do not want them back.
    Since both are working and do not have problems I would "guess" that they would want them back.

3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    And even when they tell you they don't want it back, I'd advise you to carefully hang on to them at least 6 months or so if you take them up on it. Because sometimes the CSRs get it wrong and a Non Returned Equipment fee will later appear on your bill, maybe accompanied by phone calls from a DIRECTV dept. for recovering the equipment asking you "where the boxes are?"

Had that experience early last year with a deactivated R16 SD-DVR CS said I could keep, only to find out differently several weeks later when the above happened to me.

4. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    I would request an email with the RID in it, telling you they don't want them back if that's what they tell you.

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    One more time, the HR20-700s and the HR20-100s are NOT recoverable. The rest of the HRs ARE recoverable and you will have to send them back or be charged for them. Don't trust the CSRs. In fact, I wouldn't trust anyone that wasn't in the ACT or a CSR from Retention. And neither of them are correct every time. If you don't get a recovery kit in a reasonable amount of time, call Retention.
    Someone else will have to answer the questions about the plain receivers, I've never seen the point of them. Just my personal preference, no need to tell me how valuable they are or how they work, I don't care.

Rich

6. DeweySat

DeweySat Legend

Aug 31, 2008
    Arizona
    As I discussed earlier, I have an HR22 and an HR24. That's it. I will assume that I will receive recovery kits.

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Not always. I'm at about 50/50 receiving a kit automatically or calling several times to get the kit.

As Rich said, if you don't get a kit, call.

Trust me, even if you have to call several times to get a kit, it is easier to get a kit than it is to remove a charge for not returning the receivers.

8. BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    Go with what Rich and trh are telling you. Demand a return box. D* will come after you for the receivers.

My son-in-law is having difficulty with D* right now about a receiver that an installer removed on a "movers" deal. The installer could not get his HR22 to switch to SWM so he installed a new HR24. Apparently the HR22 never got back to D* (or the paperwork didn't) and they are contacting him now for the receiver. So he has a mess on his hands.

You need to be proactive and demand return boxes (if you don't get them) when you deactivate your receivers.

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have waited over 6 months for a recovery kit. Assume nothing, call Retention if a kit doesn't show up. Shouldn't take much more than a day or two. If it doesn't show up in a couple days, wait a week or so and call Retention. You might be happily surprised if you express your disappointment in a proper manner $$$.

Rich

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    This is a nightmare just waiting to happen to so many good folks. Damn shame something so simple causes so many problems.

Rich

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    At 50/50, you're doing a lot better than I have.

Rich

12. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    +1

Yes I agree, be proactive in pursuing the return kit(s);

I actually had two CSRs assure me I could keep that deactivated R16. Not so though, as some firm back east with no name listed on the caller ID kept calling me each day several weeks later that I first ignored as I thought it was just some telemarketer. Then finally decided to answer after a few days of their persistent calling and said they represent DIRECTV and wanted to know "where the receiver was?" plus added a $175.00 NRE charge to my account.

They actually dispatched a return kit from their end and needless to say I sent it back pronto to avoid any future problems even though when I called DIRECTV CS to complain before I sent it, they apologized removed the charge, and again said I could keep the box. LOL.

13. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I de-activated a HR22 a few weeks ago and was told that I'd receive a kit in 3 weeks or so. This morning I received an automated call from Directv that I'd be receiving the kit in a few days and it was very important to return it quickly.

14. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Are both servicing the same TV? If not, you'll need to keep the HR24 to service the second TV.

15. DeweySat

DeweySat Legend

Aug 31, 2008
    Arizona
    Yes, both on the same TV to get four channels.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That happened to me with the kit for the HR that I had deactivated over six months prior to calling Retention. Seems a bit hypocritical, doesn't it? Well, at least they called.

Rich

17. DeweySat

DeweySat Legend

Aug 31, 2008
    Arizona
    How do you call retention? Do you have to fight through several CSR layers to get there?

18. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I didn't realize it but the kit was on the front step yesterday as I wrote the above post.

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Call D* and when you get the automated voice say, "Cancel service". You'll be asked if you really want to cancel service. Reply in the affirmative and you'll be transferred to Retention where you'll get a chance to speak to someone who actually knows what they're doing (not all the time, but mostly). If they can't solve your problem, you'll be sent to Case Management. They will solve your problem.

Rich