1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead (almost) hr23-700

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Socalmike, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Aug 6, 2013 #1 of 12
    Socalmike

Socalmike New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    My hr23-700 would not turn on last night. I tried both an RBR and hard reboot. When it is first plugged in you can hear the fan start very loudly and the stop. At the same time the blue power light momentarily comes on and then fades off. It will continue cycling like this. I all ready have a replacement from Directv on the way. The surprise was they have obsoleted this box(they will not send a recovery kit for it)!
    The major problem is my wife had several complete TV series on the hard drive I would like to recover. Does this sound like a power supply problem? Since they do not want the box I would like to repair it to save the shows. I would greatly appreciate any help possible.
    Thank you
    Mike

2. Aug 6, 2013 #2 of 12
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Might well be the PS. First symptom to look for is the front panel lights, if they don't come on at all it's probably the PS. The fan trying to run is another symptom. Try to buy a 23 on eBay or CL that says "for parts" and says further that the front panel lights up and it powers up. They can't sell it as anything else because its leased and you can usually pick them up for less than $50. As long as the front panel lights come on you can salvage a working PS from it.

Rich

3. Aug 6, 2013 #3 of 12
    BosFan

BosFan Legend

Sep 28, 2009
    Altoona, WI
    Must be time for the HR23s to die, mine went a couple days ago and they also told me they did not want it back, just the card. Waiting to see what arrives and if it says in the box to send the dead one back or not. Also as Rich suggested to me I will be calling in to double check they don't want it, don't want to get nailed with any fees.

4. Aug 6, 2013 #4 of 12
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I could help you , but you'll need to pass the box in my hands first ...

5. Aug 6, 2013 #5 of 12
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Must be time for the HR23s to die, mine went a couple days ago and they also told me they did not want it back, just the card. Waiting to see what arrives and if it says in the box to send the dead one back or not. Also as Rich suggested to me I will be calling in to double check they don't want it, don't want to get nailed with any fees.
    I am surprised by these "do not want it back" policy from DirecTV. So far there has been folks that have reported that DirecTV now does not want the HR21 HR22 and now the HR23. Obviously the CSRs are not pulling this from somewhere, is the DirecTV system telling them not to recover them. So who knows....

6. Aug 6, 2013 #6 of 12
    BosFan

BosFan Legend

Sep 28, 2009
    Altoona, WI
    I did ask the CSR in my case and she stated if they are dead they don't take them back. If they are still working, as in able to power on, they will take them back.

7. Aug 6, 2013 #7 of 12
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I did ask the CSR in my case and she stated if they are dead they don't take them back. If they are still working, as in able to power on, they will take them back.
    ohhh OK, that makes sense

8. Aug 7, 2013 #8 of 12
    lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    Makes perfect sense to me since I just called two days ago about returning an H23 that I no longer needed. They said the recovery box would arrive within 3-5 business days.

9. Aug 7, 2013 #9 of 12
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Why would you be surprised? D*'s CSRs have misled me and lied to me repeatedly over the years. Most of us know better than to trust the CSRs you get by calling anyone but Retention or ACT.

Rich

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    It does? How would they know if it actually can't be fixed?

Rich

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Let me say this to everyone concerned about returning their DVRs or receivers: Your best bet is to ignore the claims about not wanting them back. Most of the HRs are recoverable. For sure, the HR20-700s and HR20-100s are NOT recoverable. The rest of them probably are and if you don't keep them, you'll eventually get charged for them. Don't be worried about calling Retention and asking them to send you recovery kits for supposedly unrecoverable units. Don't trust anyone who tells you your HR is not to be sent back. All we know for sure is that the HR20-700s and HR20-100s are not recoverable, you should assume that the rest of them are. I've waited as long as 6 months for a recovery kit to arrive. Called Retention and the kit showed up in a couple days.

Rich

1 person likes this.
  12. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Let me say this to everyone concerned about returning their DVRs or receivers: Your best bet is to ignore the claims about not wanting them back. Most of the HRs are recoverable. For sure, the HR20-700s and HR20-100s are NOT recoverable. The rest of them probably are and if you don't keep them, you'll eventually get charged for them. Don't be worried about calling Retention and asking them to send you recovery kits for supposedly unrecoverable units. Don't trust anyone who tells you your HR is not to be sent back. All we know for sure is that the HR20-700s and HR20-100s are not recoverable, you should assume that the rest of them are. I've waited as long as 6 months for a recovery kit to arrive. Called Retention and the kit showed up in a couple days.

Rich

Well said. Totally agree.