Dead Dead HDMI port no longer merits replacement unit

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dwlevy, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Sep 8, 2009 #1 of 17
    dwlevy

dwlevy Mentor

Sep 4, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    The HDMI port on my HR20-700 died. I have the protection plan, so I called in to get a replacement unit and the PP rep told me that a dead HDMI port no longer qualifies for a replacement unit. You are just supposed to use the component video port.

Because I am a long time subscriber, and I mentioned that I wanted to use the HDMI port so I could watch the 1080p VOD programs, she said she would send me out a replacement this time as I get one free replacement unit per year with my plan.

That was a new one on me. Anyone hear about this change in policy? Just curious.

2. Sep 8, 2009 #2 of 17
    Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    hopefully it was a CSR that was wrong. If not, that is pretty crappy of DirecTV toward their customers.

3. Sep 8, 2009 #3 of 17
    tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I sure hope that's not their policy. That's troubling.

4. Sep 8, 2009 #4 of 17
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    A couple of other people have posted about this issue. As most of us here have stated, this is an unacceptable response by DirecTV. If the unit is defective it needs to be replaced. Especially when HDMI is the only way to view 1080p programming. Also, there is no limit on replacements for the PP. If you read the contract information, it states that if a unit is defective, it will be replaced.

According the PP:

What Is Covered: The Plan covers parts and labor costs resulting from a breakdown of the product, and/or normal wear and tear, including those manifesting from power surges. Re-alignment after a successful installation and all associated cabling switches are also covered under this Plan. We will either provide for the repair of your product or reimburse you for authorized repairs to the product.

This Plan includes the following enhanced coverage:
    • Repairs necessary for the product to meet the manufacturer's written specifications.

Definitions: (4) breakdown: the mechanical or electrical failure of the product caused by defects in workmanship and/or materials

I would definitely say that the HDMI output not working on the receiver is a breakdown of the unit and that it does not meet manufacturer specifications.

- Merg

5. Sep 8, 2009 #5 of 17
    Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    For the record, I have a broken HDMI port as well. I have been hesitant to call them as I just had someone come to my house last week to fix a performance issue. Is this common?

6. Sep 8, 2009 #6 of 17
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Guys,

Part of the problem is that many of you are "self-diagnosing" the problem and giving the CSRs too much information. The CSRs, who are expected to know way too much information, simply don't understand these technical issues, and it's very easy for them to tell you the wrong thing so they can get you off their phone quickly (long calls hurt their stats and affect their pay).

Instead, simply tell them that you aren't getting a picture on your TV from your DVR. If they ask you to check the cables, you can unplug and replug them, but don't do anything else, and do NOT volunteer information like "the component cables are still working, so...". Play dumb. Let them ship you a new box or send a tech.

I know many of you like to be helpful and offer a full set of information, but that only helps with a TECH, not with a CSR, and when dealing with a CSR, it's far more likely to confuse them and not get you what you need.

Remember: the average CSR does not have DirecTV, has never seen an HD-DVR, and has been at his job 3 months or less. His job is considered "entry-level" and the pay reflects this, yet he is expected to solve any problem you might have, from ordering new service, to billing issues, to questions about local channels (from almost 200 DMAs and over 1500 local stations), to technical questions about the hardware. How much of that do you figure they're going to learn in 3 months, with no access to the equipment, and being expected to spend most of their day reading scripts?

Play dumb.

7. Sep 8, 2009 #7 of 17
    PicaKing

PicaKing Godfather

Oct 8, 2006
    Extremely well put. A+++++

8. Sep 8, 2009 #8 of 17
    Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Deja vu! There was a thread on this topic within the past few weeks!

My HR20-700 HDMI port died over two years ago and I never called it in, first because I was able to use component cables, and second, I had too many programs on it I needed to watch before swapping boxes.

If I had called it in, though, I would have expected it to be swapped under the protection plan, as that's what I'm paying for!

9. Sep 8, 2009 #9 of 17
    David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    mine was simple to diagnose, plug hdmi cable in and unit rebooted :)

10. narrod

narrod Godfather

Jul 26, 2007
    I hope customers will refuse to accept that response. Any of our employee members care to comment?

11. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    If you get a response such as we don't replace receivers for that, or that's not covered (weather you have the protection plan or not); simply ask for the customer retention department. They will handle it without a problem. the average CSR (by their own merit or by direction of their supervisor) is simply untrained, doesn't care or in fact is just plain stupid!

12. timmmaaayyy2003

timmmaaayyy2003 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2008
    NEW is under contract. Replacements cost and devalue the contract. It has been my experience that it is their job to get a customer's system working with as little outlay as possible. If that means refusing to send out a replacement since it has "some" output available, so be it. The less money spent on replacements, the better the score on a call and the more NEW makes on their contract.

It's just like the health insurance industry and the contracts work the same way.

13. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    While I agree that the PP must cover a bad HDMI port, there is no need for name calling like this. The CSRs have a job to do, and like many in this world, some do it well, some do it poorly. Calling them stupid is at best rude, and at worst a glass house.

p.s.

If you are going to belittle others, please use a spelling checker.

14. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    First off, I stated the "average" CSR, NOT all of them. And literally, some of the things they have told not only inaccurate, but stupid in anyone's view (just look at the various posts in the forum to get a clue).

Secondly, it would only be rude to call someone stupid if it weren't true. If it were indeed true; well they wouldn't be able to understand the insult itself now would they? LOL ;)

Lastly, I wasn't aware that this was an interview; thus I didn't use a spell checker for a forum post. Was I mistaken? (SMIRK) BUT I went back and fixed the errors so you can sleep at night......

15. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Actually, some of us were brought up to believe calling someone stupid was always rude, even if it is true.

Of course, I also assume that most of them that give "stupid" information out are just poorly trained and perhaps not technically inclined. I try to have respect for those doing a difficult job without the appropriate training and tools. (However, I do have trouble respecting those that set up a system that allows poorly trained people to represent their company.)

And while not an interview, many people will (rightly or wrongly) inevitably form an opinion on your intelligence from your posts. To disparage others intelligence while not putting your best foot forward dilutes your message.

16. denvertrakker

denvertrakker Legend

Feb 5, 2009
    Colorado
    Remember, there's a difference between "stupid" and ignorant.

You can remedy ignorance; you can't fix stupid.
    (Gee, I think I heard that somewhere...)

17. Joe C

Joe C Godfather

Mar 2, 2005
    That logic would not work for me(and I'm sure many others) as my HR22 is in a closet and connected to the TV via a 50' HDMI cable. No way I'm going to run a 50' component cable because Directv does not want to replace thier LEASED box thats not working 100%.:nono2: