1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead DVRS

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by zums, May 23, 2013.

1. zums

zums Cool Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Had some severe weather last weekend and earlier this week, and as part of that suffered what I would consider a significant power surge. Never been a victim of one before, but there was definitely some sparks/noise/etc. from a couple outlets in the house.

Anyway, following this... neither of my two HR-20s will start. The one upstairs that was plugged directly into a wall outlet is certainly dead as there is absolutely no response when plugging it in, pushing power/red reset button/etc. The one downstairs, which was plugged into an outlet strip/surge protector, will also not restart. However, there is some faint "power" noise coming from the unit that stops when unplugged.

My questions are these:

- Any other tips/tricks/suggestions on how to save either of these or are they probably completely dead? Not a huge deal if so other than not having TV for a bit and losing a bunch of recordings.
    - If they are dead, what can I expect from DirecTV in replacing them? I do not have the protection plan, have been a subscriber since 2007 with autopay, Sunday Ticket, etc. but did sign a one-year extension in conjuction with my ST upgrade last year that I am in the middle of. Will they send out replacements free of charge? For the cost of shipping? Any way to ensure no cost? Or to ensure which DVR (HR-24 still the best?)?

Havent been on the forums for quite a while so a little out of the loop... appreciate any guidance you can provide or anticipation of what to expect before I call.

Thanks!
    Matt

PS - Just remembered, saw a couple passing comments in catching up that indicated saying "Cancel Service" at the prompt no longer leads to Retention... is that true? No more Retention Department or just not as easy of a way to get there? Again, been off for awhile so missed the news/discussion if so.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    My HR23 died yesterday morning or in the night while I was sleeping.
    I tried everything and no lights nothing. I did not have bad weather or a power surge.

The CSRs have written things they must ask you before they will send you another receiver. Most of them sensible, one or 2 are not.

They are sending me a replacement for the $19.95 for the freight ( I think it is Fed X 2 day deliver ). I do not have the protection plan.

I don't have it yet so I do not know what I am getting.
    Another poster posted that he got an HR24 for his replacement of his HR23.
    The HR24 is the best HDDVR model number.

They do still have a retention department. You should not need that at all for a replacement receiver.
    Replacement receiver do not restart your 24 month contract.

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    $20 S&H for each dead one....you'll get what they have, they may ask you if you actually use the OTA on your HR20's, based on that answer you may also get something else for OTA reception.

4. zums

zums Cool Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Thanks guys.

Really hoping to avoid $40 in "shipping" charges... considering they are both already about 6 years old. Guess I'll see what they say, anyone had any luck getting them to waive that? I wouldnt mind keeping the OTA functionality on at least one of them... dont use it often but is nice to have as a backup plan. If i request an AM-21, does that pigeonhole me into a certain replacement HDDVR or are they compatible with all of the HR-series?

Also, realize I wont need Retention for this particular transaction but was just curious since I missed the news. May also come in handy in a couple months when renewing ST.

5. flaktastic

flaktastic New Member

Oct 13, 2012
    I have an AM-21 on my HR34. I believe it's compatible with all of the HR2* models.

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yes, the AM21 is compatible with all H2x, HR2x and HR34/44 models

7. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    You can avoid the shipping charge - Ask for a Service call- Then you will get a replacement of choice depending on what's on the truck - and your whole system will be re-check and re-worked if needed.

8. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If people dont want to pay for the $20 S&H, then they need to sign up for the PP, if you dont want to pay for the PP every month, then you take the risk that if a box dies, it will cost you....why does everyone think that the rules dont need to apply to them and should get the fees waived?

1 person likes this.
  9. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    When one of our HR21s dies last year, they waived the $20 shipping without asking...just offered it based on account history (subscriber since 2001, always had Premier, auto-pay).

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Right on!

11. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I don't think you can get a replacement for $20 if your unit was damaged by a lightning surge. I seem to recall that one of the selling points for the "Protection Plan" was that it ALSO covered damage from surges (implying that the regular replacement policy didn't)

ANYWAY, DirecTV receivers have a soldered-in fuse on their power supply board. It is a good possibility that this fuse is blown in your units. Of course, it violates the TOS by opening the unit up and testing the fuse with an ohmmeter...... !devil12:

12. zums

zums Cool Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Forgot to follow up on this... but here's how it all worked out.

CSR told me that because more than one DVR needed to be replaced, they needed to send out a service call vs. shipping out replacement receivers. Unfortunately, earliest they could get someone out was the following Friday. Wasn't too excited as this meant almost two weeks without tv... but agreed. She did give me a service outage credit which turned out to be around $25... should have called right away vs. waiting a few days. After some discussion, signed up for the protection plan which would cover this service call, with first month free. Am able to cancel at any point after the first month with a $10 cancellation fee... Planning on that, cheaper than $40 shipping for two units or $45-50 for service call. Had her make notes that I preferred HR24s.

Tech came out and met me on my lunch break, replaced the living room DVR, gets it about set up, but runs into some problems. Besides needing to go up and re-calibrate the dish position (signals were acceptable but not super strong) he says that the newer DVR is not working with my current setup (installed in 2007). Said it was pretty uncommon but does happen. So... That means he is installing the SWM system. Good news, although the downside is what I expected to be a 30 minute call turned into 2 hours. Work was understanding but still an inconvenience. Finishes his work outside and sets up both DVRs and I have been back in business ever since.

Bottom line, sucked being out of tv for a couple weeks (NBA/NHL playoffs) but was able to upgrade two HR20s to HR24s and SWM system for about $10 (assuming I remember to cancel protection plan). Only other negative was losing DVR recordings, which included some sentimental items, but ultimately not the end of the world and would have been in the same nota regardless. HR24s are ridiculously more responsive than the HR20s!!

13. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    the only problem I see with this is that you were upgraded to SWM "off the books" which means that is not "noted" on the DirecTV system. This can cause some headaches later down the road

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

14. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    What sort of problems? We self-installed SWM a couple of years ago and never had a problem. We've added SWM only receivers (H25s and HR34) without an issue.

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    A csr might insist that a receiver requires professional install, probably on the site as well. If you get receivers in other ways, of course that doesn't happen.

16. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Some people are clueless. DirecTv tries to rectify that by providing as much information as possible. In the computer there is an equipment list which shows things like LNB type, power supply/location, etc. Last week I had a service call on two D12's installed two months ago, 771 all receivers. When I got there I checked the signal meters and figured the tech hadn't used any concrete, so I went to look at the dish. I found an SL5 SWM from a previous install. Everything was perfect so I went back inside, found the power supply unplugged, then educated the customer. The CSR had no way of knowing, everyone lost money. The customer has my number, good for 90 days. ;)

17. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    One of them sounds like the HDD is spinning. lf the front panel lights don't come on, it's probably got a dead PS. The other one might have a blown fuse or the PS is also shot.

One thing I should mention: I've never had a blown fuse (that I know of) and every HR that I've opened up (most models, all owned) has a fuse. That certainly includes the 23-700 and all the 24s.

Rich