1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead HR20-700??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tjb1661, Dec 16, 2012.

1. tjb1661

tjb1661 Cool Member

May 13, 2009
    Hello All -

I have an HR20-700 that won't do anything.

All I get is a click, click, click coming from the area around where AC plug goes into the box (back left corner). Also I get a pop, pop, pop, from my audio setup.

Any ideas?

This is the main DVR in the house with an external WD 1TB SATA drive.

I'd hate to lose it.

Thanks!

2. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Did you try rebooting it? If that works you may want to try and watch as much as you can.

3. tjb1661

tjb1661 Cool Member

May 13, 2009
    Re-booting doesn't work. No lights, no nothing. Just a faint click, click, click rom where the power cable plugs in.

I even swapped cables with another unit. No effect.

Power supply maybe?

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I would call for a replacement.

5. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    They will send you an HR23 as a replacement. They say they will send a box for the HR20.
    But it will never come. They don't want it back.

6. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I you want to save it by troubleshooting it, I can send you mine deactivated to swap parts.
    But you pay the shipping of course.

7. tjb1661

tjb1661 Cool Member

May 13, 2009
    Opened it up.

Turns out the clicking is coming from the Ethernet port of all places. There is a dim amber light coming from the port inside the DVR.

I'm thinking it's not coming back.

I don't suppose there is any particular part that can be swapped to my other HR20-700 so that DVR will recognize the external eSATA drive??

8. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    it will recognize it, just wont allow you to play the recordings...

9. tjb1661

tjb1661 Cool Member

May 13, 2009
    CCarncross -

I guess my question was what does the external hard drive look at to validate that the DVR is the same DVR that made the recording - The DVR's original HD?, the processor?, the access card?, etc..

10. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I believe the RID # is stored on Flash Memory on the DVR and on the Access Card and gets written to the Stored Recording. If you put that hard drive in another DVR it will then have a Different RID # in it's Flash Memory so it will give you an Error when it compares it to the RID # on the Recording and will Not let you View the Recordings on that DVR.

You probably have a Bad Power Supply.

11. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Noone really knows and noone at D* is going to say. The bottom line is you cant playback recordings made on one dvr on another dvr by swapping hdds. Unless they are OTA recordings....you cant just swap access cards and make it work either, so its not the access card. My guess is its a combination of the RID and access card, so unless its just a bad psu that you can replace, your recordings are gone.

12. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    This major design flaw with the external eSATA is the reason I haven't gone to one.
    My HR20 died a year or so ago, but I was able to nurse it long enough to watch what was recorded on it. Then I got the HR24.
    At that time DirecTV did want the HR20 back.

Hopefully, DirecTV will see the error of their ways and allow the external drives to be swapped amongst DVRs on the account. The next generation DVRs should allow this.

13. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I spoke to a Directv Employee last year at CES 2012 who is definitely in the Know and I asked him if this would happen anytime soon and he stated unequivocably that it would Never Happen.

I was Not Happy to hear that but he was adamant that for whatever reason (he couldn't tell me) it was Not going to Happen!!! :nono2:

14. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    It sounds like DirecTV doesn't want to have to take responsibility for an external drive and the resultant calls into CSRs.

Anyway, it's a moot point now with larger HDDs being put in DVRs.

15. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Truthfully, it really doesnt matter if its a 300GB drive or a 2TB drive, when the dvr dies but the HDD doesnt, your recordings are gone under the current system. jdspencer, IIRC has been very vocal about his refusal to use an eSATA drive because of this flaw, many of us have used it quite successfully. If the dvr dies, I'm not really going to be anymore crushed that I lost 300 hours of "irreplaceable" recordings, or 3 hours. They're still gone. I would much rather have that capacity if I choose and not be space limited to 40-50, or even 100 hours.

jd is probably right about the external drive support, if D* said it was supported, then every Tom, Dick, or Harry with an external drive would expect them to work and work flawlessly even if they were complete crap external drives. It would be a support nightmare, even more so than support is already a nightmare...

16. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    That is why Rich and I buy Owned HR24s and then Replace the Internal Drive with 2 TB Drives with a Larger Cache and we have Zero Problems with out HR24s.

I along with Rich had many problems with External Drive and their Enclosures not being able to correctly Reboot with the External Drive because the eSATA Controller on occasion would take too long to respond so the Port thought nothing was attached and the DVR would Boot up with the Internal Drive.

Then a day or two later you would realize that a lot of Recordings were missing and you would then have to Reboot to get back to the External Drive.

Much easier to Replace the Drive in an Owned DVR with a Larger 2 TB Drive and have more capacity and no hassle.

17. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    The encryption of the programming on the Hard Drive is tied to the RID number. Replace the IRD and the new IRD has a different RID/decryption code. As the D* rep said, no way to change that. Customer Support is not the issue.

They go even further when playback over MRV is involved.

18. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Sure does sound like a blown PS. Unfortunately, the PS on the 20-700s is part of the motherboard and you can't change it. There is a fuse on the motherboard, did you check it? If your front panel lights don't come on, that's a pretty good sign of a shot PS or something worse.

Rich

19. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's a bit of cheery news.... :nono2:

But that was before the 34 was released, no? Nobody sees the problem with the 34 and its apparently unlimited capacity? Nobody at D*?

Rich