1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead R15-500

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tonyc, Aug 17, 2010.

1. tonyc

tonyc Legend

Jun 12, 2006
    Anaheim,CA
    only the record button light stays on ,power button no response,reset button no response,no signal to TV,called tech support and they replaced it, but they never told me what they think happen. does anyone know what that means when the record button is on but nothing elese works???

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    It means you have a dead R15-500...:)

3. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Just a stab in the dark here but sometimes the record light comes on when hard drive "maintenance" (like a scan) is going on, so if I were to venture a guess, I would say it had a hard drive problem.

4. LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    That sounds like a dead unit. Had the same happen to me when my R15-500 died.... You can try unplugging the unit for a period of time usually an hour or so, then repower unit. If that does not resolve the problem, then you've got a dead unit.... Best of luck...

5. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    A lot of posters have reported that the "record light on-everything else dead" issue is power supply related.

Try disconnecting the satellite cables and then power the unit up again. One of the satellite cables could have a short which shuts the unit down.