Dealing with Marathon recordings

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by larrylwill, Sep 26, 2019.

1. larrylwill

larrylwill Cool Member

Feb 18, 2006
    How does people deal with marathon recording of shows in there series options. Seems mostly Discovery channel will put many old shows in a row and even when set up to new only you get them all. Is the only option setting up a manual recurring series?

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I don't know how you can manually set up a recurring series unless you're talking about setting your DVR to record the same channel/same time/weekly (or nightly as dictated by the show).

How did you set up the series that you're having problems with? It sounds like you did a 'smart search' for the show and set it up that way. If so, what you should do is go to the Guide, find the show(s) and then set it up to record the series (two clicks of the Record button on your remote). You can change the Series options when you do that, but the easiest way to set your options is before you do your recordings.

Keep in mind that shows that originated in our countries (BBC shows most common), use the First Air date from when they were shown in the UK. So you have to watch that and set your DVR to record all; otherwise you'll probably get nothing.

3. larrylwill

larrylwill Cool Member

Feb 18, 2006
    try your own advice for almost any show on Discovery, sooner or later they will have a marathon and even if set up for first run will record every show. 4,5,6,7,8,9,10 or how many hours they have. So setting on first run doesn't work because they show the date as the same for every one. Also Discovery is putting out 3 hour Naked and afraid which are old shows but with a new date.
    What I did is go to manual and set up a recurring time slot on the day my show is shown. Like Gold Rush 8pm every Friday for 1 hour. I do not know any other way. There's a marathon coming on this week and all were tagged to show even though I was set to new only. I changed it to 8pm Fridays and now only the real new ones are set.

4. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Same issue for me with Discovery. They have figured out a way to make repeats show as first run all the time. They can have the first run of the show on a Sunday and replay it again every day of that week and they all show first run and they all record. It is a PITA.

5. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    i know what you talking about i just finished DVR undercover billionaire on Discovery , the way i do it a few days i looked and I manual removed from mine to do list

6. larrylwill

larrylwill Cool Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Yes Ive dont that also, I have also just looked for the shows and tagged the ones I want to watch, but its easy to forget to look. There just doing it to fool Neison or whoever counts watched shows to get higher in the ratings. Im pretty sure the bean counters cant tell if you actually watch whet you record. I dont know who supplies the guide date but we should start there to get it fixed. I know many people with small drives miss there program because of full drives with all duplicate shows.

7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    How empty is your drive? Maybe just let them all record as keep till I delete and then after you watch an episode, instead of deleting it, change it to delete as needed.

8. larrylwill

larrylwill Cool Member

Feb 18, 2006
    50% out of 2gb, I could do that but the fuller the drive gets the slower the box gets, its a H24

9. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    Best Answer: External Hard Drive
    I have a 10 TB drive on a Genie thus no problem recording for days

2TB is limit for HR24

Doctor j