1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dear Dish Network

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by lewah33, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 2, 2007 #1 of 21
    lewah33

lewah33 AllStar

Nov 2, 2006
    Saw this posted on Reddit moments ago
    http://my.opera.com/SmoothP/blog/dear-dish-network

I did not write this letter, I am a slightly unhappy D* customer. Not trying to be a troll.

Dear Dish Network,
    Tuesday, 31. July 2007, 19:44:38

July 31, 2007

EchoStar Satellite LLC
    Dispute Resolution
    PO Box 9040
    Littleton, CO 80120

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am writing this letter first and foremost to demand that my phone number, XXX-XXX-XXXX, be placed on the do-not-call list of Dish Network and all other EchoStar Satellite business units and affiliates. I have made this request three times over the past three months to agents calling from Dish Network (telephone 866-668-8047) but continue to receive as many as 8 calls a day from this Dish number.

DO NOT CALL XXX-XXX-XXXX AGAIN. FOR ANY REASON. EVER.

Pursuant to the Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991 (47 CFR 64.1200), any further calls to this number can and will result in legal action. The penalty for willful or knowing violations of this act is $1500 per incident.

Now with that bit of business out of the way, let me address the question that your persistent telephone agents ask me every time I answer your harassing phone calls. They want to know, they say, why I left Dish Network. Mind you, I patiently answer this question for the hapless agents week after week, month after month, whenever the ceaseless ringing from your auto dialer finally breaks my will and causes me to answer in the hopes that this time-- against all accumulated experience dealing with your bungling, incompetent network—maybe this time, someone will actually write down the answer and also maybe heed my pleas to be left alone.

Why did I leave Dish Network? Because I was told to. By Dish Network. When I moved into my new house last October, I called to order Dish service, primarily because that was the provider that the previous owners had used. The installer came out and did a fine job of installing. And we were watching TV. Well, some of the time. Right from the start we had brief interruptions in service. Then frequent interruptions. Eventually we came to find the constant “No signal” message to be soothing. The black background behind the message blended in well with the black TV case, and the lack of any noise really improved our quality of life. It was almost like having the TV off completely, but without the anxiety of not having the TV on. When occasionally the “No signal” message was interrupted by actual content, we were slightly nervous and grew restless and irritable wondering when the strange moving lights would go away.

From time to time, I’d call Dish Network to ask about the moving-pictures vs. soothing-black-screen conundrum. There a computerized “helper” would make suggestions (“Make sure your cable connections are tight!”) until a real live person finally came on the line. If we’d had any “weather” recently, this person would tell me, it likely moved the dish. Moving the dish, even the tiniest fraction of an inch, was a sure recipe for disaster. Had we had any weather? No, I’d say, we’d had no snow, nor sleet, nor dark of night-- not since we made that sacrifice to the Egyptian scarab god Khepri. Weather was not the issue. “Oh. Well then, maybe you should try moving the dish.” I was still new to the Dish Network at the time, and assumed the whole “friendly but useless” shtick was a local phenomenon. I’m sure even NASA hires the occasional dull knife.

Eventually Dish Network sent out The Guy In The Truck. The local Dish franchise always sends guys who don’t wear a Dish uniform or drive a Dish truck or in any way appear to be professional installers. I like this, because it throws the neighbors off. We’re a down-to-earth community (notwithstanding the occasional sacrifices to Egyptian dung-beetle deities), and having some fancy-schmancy uniformed repair guy showing up would come off as pretentious. Anyway, The Guy wasn’t even in the front door when he said, “Oh man, I’ve been to this house before!” The previous owners threw a lot of parties. “No,” he said, “I’ve been to this house a LOT. Almost every week.” They didn’t throw that many parties. Turns out, The Guy In The Truck had been tweaking and re-aiming and re-mounting and generally trying to coax a signal out of our very dish for years, and for some reason the previous owners didn’t listen to his simple advice: “You need to get rid of this thing and get cable.” (Maybe if he’d been wearing a uniform…) He called his manager and the manager came out and they both told me to get cable. They pointed up into the south-west skies and explained that you couldn’t see the satellite from here, even if you squinted really hard. There was always a tree or a house or a bunch of hydrogen molecules blocking the view. I’m not sure why the installer guy didn’t notice this when he installed the dish. Maybe he had super X-ray-vision or something.

So we ditched the Dish and got cable. Your company even let me climb up a big ladder and take the dish down myself! Most other companies would have taken it down themselves, what with the risk of falling and the fact that they never should have installed the thing in the first place since everyone knew you couldn’t see the satellite from our backyard, even if you squinted. I pretended to be The Guy In The Truck and took the dish down with my own ladder and an old work shirt I got at the thrift store with the name “Ernie” stitched right on the breast pocket. Pretty cool!

Ever since then, your auto-dialer calls my cell phone constantly, and your dim-witted (but friendly!) agents listen to my story about how I left Dish Network because Dish Network told me to leave Dish Network, and occasionally say things like “Well, if you ever, uh, don’t have giant trees, give us a call!” Then they tell me that there’s no record of my ever requesting to not be called, and promise to add me to the do-not-call list, post-haste. Well, give or take 31 days. Lather, rinse, repeat.

To summarize, here’s my experience with Dish Network:

1) You installed a dish at a location that your own installers knew was a very bad place to install a dish.

2) Your workmen show up in outfits that I use as an example to my grandmother about who not to let in the house and when to call the police.

3) You make your customers do the work of uninstalling the equipment that you should never have installed in the first place

4) You harass ex-customers by constantly calling their phones despite being asked not to.

Short of physically abusing your customers, I’m not sure I can think of any way that you can make the “customer experience” any more annoying, infuriating, and downright unpleasant. Maybe you could make that “No signal” screen flash red and make loud screeching noises. That would really suck.

Sincerely,

SmoothP

Ps: DO NOT CALL XXX-XXX-XXXX AGAIN. FOR ANY REASON. EVER.

2. Aug 2, 2007 #2 of 21
    birdman44

birdman44 New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    That person should have just sent an email to ceo@echostar.com to resolve this matter.

I hate phone solicitors.

3. Aug 2, 2007 #3 of 21
    jimmyz71

jimmyz71 New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Beloit, WI
    Oh thats funny. Just sitting her laughing. I do like the idea of the red flashing "NO Signal" with a loud screaching sound.

4. Aug 2, 2007 #4 of 21
    Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    Just change your phone number.

5. Aug 2, 2007 #5 of 21
    dave1234

dave1234 Icon

Oct 9, 2005
    As a business owner there are some customers I don't want, this would be one of those customers. :lol:

6. Aug 2, 2007 #6 of 21
    eckertman

eckertman Legend

May 20, 2005
    Woodstock,IL
    I wish that I would not have read that letter because I might want to leave dish but then again how I am now afriad of the phone calls.:lol:

7. Aug 2, 2007 #7 of 21
    Aridon

Aridon Mentor

Mar 12, 2007
    The phone calls would piss me off, no doubt. Assuming no exaggeration was involved with the frequency.

The rest, well whatever.

8. Aug 2, 2007 #8 of 21
    Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    Wow, and I thought the lawn fertilizer guys were the only ones who called constantly!

9. Aug 2, 2007 #9 of 21
    sampatterson

sampatterson Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 27, 2002
    If Dish was calling to do a "survey of why you left Dish", do not call lists or requests don't apply. They don't apply to surveys. What a wonderful law, huh?

10. paja

paja Godfather

Oct 22, 2006
    I dumped *D back in Jan. after a ridiculous series of events regarding upgrading to their HD DVR(missed appointments, idiots CSR's,etc.) and got *E. After getting a call from *D corporate office, I explained that I had upped with *E for an 18 month commitment.

I continue to get calls and mailings from *D trying to get me back. I throw away the mail unopened when I get a mailing and try to screen their calls through my caller ID. I just pick up and hang up. It is annoying.

11. spdmonkey

spdmonkey Mentor

Feb 5, 2006
    Let me guess.....Trugreen Chemlawn????????

They don't ever take NO for an answer.....

Dave

12. ebaltz

ebaltz Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2004
    Before you drop service, call them and change your official phone number, to just some dummy number. Then a week or so later, drop them.

13. Lincoln6Echo

Lincoln6Echo Godfather

Jul 11, 2007
    Well, just look where the guy was from...Littleton, Colorado. Those people are nothing but a bunch of Mongoloids anyway. :D Don't they know they have a bunch of mountains blocking their view to the southwest sky? :grin:

14. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    HMM IS THIS THE DEATH OF SATELLITE TV???

One would think so or why else would Dish Network tell its customer to use cable???

15. dhclaypool

dhclaypool Mentor

Oct 29, 2005
    I made the mistake of giving E* my cell number and then they proceeded to call me in France while I was on vacation to let me know of a special on a Showtime package. How nice of them!

16. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003

DId you upgrade to showtime? It's one hell of a premium movie pack. :sure:

17. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    Wow, there are people that post without a clue and then....:rolleyes:

18. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    So they were supposed to know that you were on vacation in France and not call? You were they one that gave them the phone number! :rolleyes:

19. Lincoln6Echo

Lincoln6Echo Godfather

Jul 11, 2007
    It was a joke... :rolleyes:

20. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The sad part was that when he yelled "I'm in France!" they permanently disconnected his service with termination fee and are now suing him for subscribing to the signal from outside of the country. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.