1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dearth of good VOD programming

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by gsslug, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Aug 1, 2010 #1 of 20
    gsslug

gsslug Legend

Sep 13, 2006
    Maybe it's just me but after recently getting hooked up to the internet so I could get VOD I'm underwhelmed. I found six programs on the Science channel and a movie so far. The rest was junk. OK. Not junk but not the kind of shows I watch. I hope it gets better.

2. Aug 1, 2010 #2 of 20
    ejjames

ejjames Icon

Oct 2, 2006
    I have had this hope for a couple of years now.

3. Aug 1, 2010 #3 of 20
    texasmoose

texasmoose Icon

May 24, 2007
    you folks in Sac are pretty educated, I hadn't seen that word in awhile or ever. Had to look it up: Main Entry: dearth

Pronunciation: \ˈdərth\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English derthe, from Old English *dierth, from dēore dear
    Date: 13th century
    1 : scarcity that makes dear; specifically : famine
    2 : an inadequate supply : lack <a dearth of evidence>

Thanks for the new one. Not many folks here I'm sure knew this one.

And I totally agree with your post! Lots of stuff, nothing of substance.

4. Aug 1, 2010 #4 of 20
    ASG82

ASG82 Mentor

Jul 10, 2010
    Not sure what you're looking for. Almost all cable original programming is available on demand and its probably the easiest way to get caught up on a season if you're only want to have a premium channel for few months (or are on one of the promotional "3 months free"). I just don't know why I don't see any network on demand programming when its on cable.

5. Aug 1, 2010 #5 of 20
    Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    I wish D* would add HBO VOD and Cinemax VOD (plus both in HD). Also Starz VOD HD and Encore VOD HD.

6. Aug 1, 2010 #6 of 20
    klambert

klambert AllStar

Feb 8, 2008
    VOD in general is pretty much PPV and what's already available on the channels. I know there are some VOD only channels. DTV has Anime Network and I'm not sure what else. I wish they'd add Fearnet and Here!

7. Aug 1, 2010 #7 of 20
    Microphone

Microphone AllStar

Jan 30, 2007

+1

8. Aug 1, 2010 #8 of 20
    bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    Especially without a means of adequately monetizing the VOD offering. Ideally, from a full-system perspective, offering VOD via the Internet will result in a net-increase in profit for the industry, not just a cost-savings for the consumer. That's accomplished by cutting non-industry resources out of the mix, i.e., cutting the USPS out of DVD delivery. Cutting the cable and satellite service providers out of the mix is not necessarily going to be a net-benefit the industry, since that'll just devalue what the studios offer to the cable and satellite service providers, and therefore result in less revenue for studios from that revenue source. It seems that the real answer to this is coming via TV Anywhere. Basically, it will mean you're still paying for the content via your cable or satellite subscription, but in doing so you'll be gaining a second means of obtaining the content.

9. Aug 1, 2010 #9 of 20
    AMike

AMike Godfather

Nov 21, 2005
    VOD through D* has become an afterthought for us. We have Netflix streaming as well as access to Hulu via Playon. This gives us access to some of that network content that the cable providers say that they have.

Of course, we can always set our DVR to record!

10. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Since I have the HD-Extra pack, which includes MGM, I have at least 6 movies queued up. They were all VOD. They are old, but very good movies, so I'm glad to watch them. I was surprised how many I knew about, but had never seen.

I also have quite a few scenic nature programs that I have VOD'd, as well.

I'm not saying the pickings are great, or even good (at least the free ones), but I have managed to collect more programs than I have time to watch.

I also downloaded the Jethro Tull concert from T101, and it was fantastic.

So, if one hunts around there are probably things you might enjoy, but it does take a lot of filtering (for me) to get there.:)

11. seern

seern Active Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Glen Allen, VA
    I pulled down a bunch of Smithsonian programs this weekend to watch.

12. Sackchamp56

Sackchamp56 Godfather

Nov 9, 2006

I absolutely love those old MGM movies. They all look fantastic. My wife thinks im nuts. "what 70s/80s crap are you watching now?"

13. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    The Devil's Brigade (Willaim Holden)
    Ulee's Gold (Peter Fonda)
    Cutter's Way (Jeff Bridges, John Heard, Lisa Eichhorn)
    Birdman of Alcatraz (Burt Lancaster)
    What's New Pussycat? (Peter Sellers, Peter O'toole, Romy Schneider)
    The Happening (?)
    Moonstruck (Cher, Nicolas Cage, Danny Aiello)
    Farewell to the King (Nick Nolte)
    CrissCross (?)
    They Call Me Mr. Tibbs (Sydney Potier)
    Pressure Point (?)
    Much Ado About Nothing (Denzel Washington)
    The Great Train Robbery (Sean Connery)
    10 to MIdnight
    Bright LIghts, Big City (Michael J. Fox)
    Bull Durham (Kevin Costner)
    The Professional

That's pretty much it for now. My wife likes the movies, many are classics.

The video quality is excellent, and few if any commercial breaks (only on the really long movies)

14. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Me too, very good programs, just not enough of them.:)

15. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I wish the History Channel would keep more history programs on and fewer of the stupid "history everyday" crap. I like the documentaries without commercials.

As for HBO, I am convinced that they don't like the download model rather than streaming. They have always been more worried about pirating than the other channels.

16. kenpac89

kenpac89 Legend

Jan 3, 2006
    They need to add HBO and Disney Channel on-demand. And more HD programs in there.

I basically only use on-demand to get some movies for the kids, because they don't care about the crappy quality that it is delivered in.

17. DaveC27

DaveC27 Godfather

Apr 14, 2010
    The one channel I miss from Comcast is the IFC On-Demand channel. Sometimes even Chicago doesn't show the films that are on the IFC cinema in NYC and I liked being able to watch some of the latest indie films from home

18. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I have to agree with the thrust of this thread. I would love to find more in On Demand, and when I don't find it I go to IPTV alternatives like Netflix.

19. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I hate to admit this - but even Comcast has a much better offering in the VOD area.

20. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    I rarely use DoD (VoD) due to the lack of HD options for anything but movies and premium content.

Most of the basic cable channels don't have HD versions available, and until they do, I have little to no interest in DoD.

~Alan