1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DECA and TV Apps?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by BigTimeBBallNut, Feb 16, 2011.

1. BigTimeBBallNut

BigTimeBBallNut New Member

Feb 16, 2011
    New to DirecTV, I am trying to figure out how I can get DirecTV Cinema and TV Apps.

Setup:

HR24 HD DVR
    HR24 HD Receiver
    Cinema Connection Kit
    Time Warner Modem
    Apple Airport Express

There are two coax lines entering in each room. In the living room where the DVR is, one coax is connected to the back of the DVR and the other to the cinema connection kit. In the bedroom where the HD receiver is, one coax is connected to the back of the receiver and the other connected to a black box that says "Power to the SWM". The installer had issues with local channels so the cinema connection kit was not setup due to time constraints.

How can I get DirecTV Cinema AND TV Apps? Is there any way to get Internet on the HD receiver?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    :confused: You say you have the CCK connected, but you don't have internet access. Does this not also connect to your home network?
    "Normally" this should connect with an ethernet cable to your router.
    If you can't do this then it can be done with a wireless adapter.

3. BigTimeBBallNut

Feb 16, 2011
    I have internet access. I have tried connecting straight from modem to the CCK but it never connects. I figured I was doing something wrong.

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You should have an ethernet cable going from the CCK to a port on the back of your router. After you do that, rerun the Automatic Network Setup on the receivers so that they pick up an IP address from the router. Until they get an IP address from the router and don't use their internal IP address, you won't have Internet access on them.

- Merg

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    As The Merg is pointing out, if the CCK was powered up after the receivers were, then they're using an internal IP.
    I'd reboot the receivers and see if they pull the right IP from your router and if not, then reset the network defaults and use the "connect now" function.

6. BigTimeBBallNut

Feb 16, 2011
    I go straight from modem to CCK and it never connects. It grabs an IP and a subnet mask but no default gateway or DNS. It says the network is connected but no internet. I reset the HD DVR, restored defaults, and then went to Connect Now. Same thing every time.

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You need to go from a router and not just a modem. Since you have multiple receivers, they each need their own IP address, which will not happen if you connect straight to your modem (unless the modem can also act as a router).

What ISP are you using and what ports are on the back of the modem? If there is only one ethernet port, then your modem is most likely not a router as well. If it has 5 ethernet ports, then it is most likely a router/modem.

Do you have any PC's hooked up for Internet access? What are they connect to?

When you say that it grabs an IP address, is it 169.254.x.x? If so, then it is just using an internal IP address and is not seeing the router.

- Merg

8. BigTimeBBallNut

Feb 16, 2011
    I have Time Warner and the modem just has AC and one ethernet port out. I have that connected to an Apple Airport Express which doesn't have any ethernet ports in besides the main internet line. I think I need to buy a traditional router, yea?

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Seems like your option are:
    Get a "traditional" router with ethernet ports, or use a wireless adapter on the CCK to connect to your Airport.

10. BigTimeBBallNut

Feb 16, 2011
    I'll go grab a new router. Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.