1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DECA {CE:21:03} 0x0353/0x0354 - Discussion

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Coax Networking (private)' started by RunnerFL, Sep 12, 2009.

1. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I figured we could use one of these to discuss MRV performance with the DECAs now that we have MRV back.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Watched a SD show last night. It had 5-6 6-10 sec "auto skip aheads".
    I could rewind and replay these without problems.
    These came without using trickplay, just random skips.
    Watched just a little of an MPEG-4 and had "something like this" too.
    Will need to check it further.

3. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Glad to be able to test this!

I viewed 6 different programs this morning for over a total of 4 hours via MRV - and of course, DECA.

This included MPEG2 and MPEG5 recordings, all of which ranged from several days to a year old.

I used MRV on both my HR21-200 and HR20-700 HD DVRs, with the alternate device as the server.

Since some of this programming was sports content, it provided the opportunity to really use trickplay alot on those recordings - including skips, stops, pauses, 30 second slip...backwards and forwards...all very smooth.

My results - DECA performed extremely well for MRV viewing.

Having migrated from a (previous) wireless network configuration to DECA...it was extremely wonderful to view content via MRV virtually the same way as if it was recorded on the local DVR.

While this was only 4 hours of testing....DECA has proven to be very solid for MRV viewing.

4. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Aren't you special. :lol:

5. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Watched the 2-hour 3rd installment of SciFi's Tin Man (HD mpeg4) that had been on the DVR forever.

MRV playback looked good when it was playing properly. However, still have the non-repeatable regular but random pixelation/breakups. They can 15 minutes apart or 5 seconds. They may not be as severe as before, that's hard to judge. A while back I recall constantly rewinding in order to try and make out what was said in a Merlin episode. Last night I was only rewinding to make sure that a breakup wasn't repeatable - didn't seem to affect the audio as much. Will have to judge this over time.

Trickplay seemed to work smoothly but I always found myself rewinding when trying to FF through the commercials. Either MRV doesn't jump back a bit to account for operator reaction time, or, it doesn't jump back enough for the extra network delay.

I don't think the MRV problems are caused by the network though. They didn't exist in earlier days of DIRECTV2PC.

DECAs still perform well, and still no yellow lights.

6. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    That might explain why he isn't seeing the breakups. :lol:

7. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    You mean you don't get MPEG5 there?

Ooops.....sorry Doug.....forget I said anything about that. :D
    Almost everyone knows that breaking up is hard to do.....

8. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Quick tests of MRV had two streams running from outside the deca could to inside the deca cloud, both working fine (simultaneously).

9. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Tested for another 4 hours yesterday too for MRV via DECA....worked like a charm. I am liking how reliable the trickplay is working, as well as the solid transmission.

Also tested repeatedly for MediaShare of photos and YouTube streams....nice!

As far as I'm concerned DECA is solid here. Its possible one might get a rare hiccup just like on any other network-based transmission...but otherwise....DECA delivers a very nice MRV and Network connection/Internet Services experience.

10. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    I've watched a few recordings just to see if I can see differences when using DECA vs when just using standard wired Ethernet. I've actually noticed a bit better performance when watching MRV recordings on DVRs within the DECA cloud.

Server -> Client
    DECA -> DECA - Smooth with some trickplay issues
    DECA -> Standard - Few breakups with some trickplay issues
    Standard -> DECA - Few breakups with some trickplay issues
    Standard -> Standard - More breakups than others with some trickplay issues

11. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Interesting....

I can sure tell a difference compared to my previous wireless "G" setup.

Better on all fronts, including trickplay.

Having you see some improvement via wired is quite something, even if only a slight improvement.

12. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    I would hope to see better performance when staying within the DECA cloud just based on the fact that the traffic would be isolated from the rest of my network traffic so my results aren't really a big surprise to me.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "I think" the only difference I'm seeing for Cat5 to DECA is the current CE with MRV over the older.
    Trickplay seems to function better, but SD playback has new "weirdness" [posted above] and HD has been tried with F1 recordings, which aren't a good test since the signal itself has glitches.
    More testing to come, but I ain't done with the race yet. :lol:

"All mine is within the cloud" and even my Cat5 was mostly "not through the router".

14. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I have to take my hat off to whomever designed Deca.
    Watched a OTA Mpeg2 recording from HR20 to HR22 last night, and only had a couple small glitches. While the MRV/DVR itself might need some fine tuning, the Deca is perfect. If fact, I havent noticed a single Deca related issue using mediashare this past few months.

15. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    ok, here's another test I just ran...

I'm moving about 100gb of files, mp3's, from one machine to another across the network. During this move playing recordings via MRV outside of the DECA cloud is almost not possible. I've had to start the same recording like 3 times now because I keep getting can't access media messages and I'm assuming this is because of network traffic. However any recording from the other DVR in the DECA cloud plays fine...

This brings up a question I keep forgetting to ask. For those of us that have 2 SWM8's in our setup... If we were to get a second DECA "kit" and setup the 2nd SWM8, minus the DECA that goes to the router, would the 2 clouds communicate across the 2 SWM8's? I'm thinking the answer is no, but what if it's yes? I mean we really haven't checked it yet since each of us only got 1 "kit" right?

In my case, since both SWM8's are cascaded off of a WB68 it's probably not possible. But what about those that use splitters right off the 4 lines from the dish to supply 2 SWM8's? I do have plans to pull the WB68 from my setup but it's outside and this summer has been either way too hot or way to rainy to do anything about it.

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You'd be missing the "DECA bridge" of the SWM16. Without it, you need to have a DECA-router [or really switch] on each cloud.

17. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Yeah, that's kinda what I thought. I just don't see myself buying an SWM16 just to keep the DVRs on their own network though. :lol:

18. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    One 5 port switch would support 4 DECA clouds with one connection going to the uplink for the internet.

19. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Finally got my HR23-700 updated Saturday night.

There's not much recorded on there, so had to resort to viewing So You Think You Can Dance which is mpeg4 LiL.

Experience was same as reported above, MRV playback looked good when it was playing properly. However, still have the non-repeatable regular but random pixelation/breakups. They can 15 minutes apart or 5 seconds.

Trickplay is crisp but still easy to overshoot the intended scene on FF or rewind.

DVRs are connected DECA-to-DECA.
    (and all lights are always green)

20. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Since I have all green leds on my DECA units, and seem to have a very solid MRV viewing experience - not perfect - but not far off of it either...

QUESTION:

FOR ONLY those folks who seem to have some pixellation or breakup still on MRV -

Do you have All Green or other LED colors on the DECA units (wondering if there is any correlation)?