DECA Ethernet to Coax Adapter question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by J Blow, Sep 27, 2019.

1. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    Two questions:

First, I have an extra RG6 cable that I'd like to turn into ethernet to connect a wireless router to. I also have plenty of extra DECA ethernet to coax adapters. I think I just need to run one on each end and power them and it will work correctly, right? If this is a RG6 line still connected to my DirecTV setup, I only need the one on receiving end, correct? What are the benefits of having the coax outside my DTV system....keeps added traffic off the system? Does it matter much?

Next, any reason I can't use the same cable that currently runs to a client (with an ethernet to coax adapter) to create another ethernet connection at my client connection? I suppose it's not advised to utilize it for Netflix, etc?

Thanks.

2. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    By the way, do these adapters have limitations for running a wireless router where I should maybe look at different units?

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    just remember -DECA is Directv bridge between DTV devices on coax and Internet
    while it could fit in your need, better get BALUNs for utilize coax in your Ethernet network

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Yes you need a deca with power at each end of the coax...

Don’t use the DIRECTV network to bridge between two places unless you have to. You are better using separate lines.

How is your DIRECTV system wired now?

5. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    What do they do that this doesn't? Quality of connection issue?

6. J Blow

J Blow Legend

Nov 2, 2008
    Currently the location I'm utilizing for a client just has the one cable but is connected, of course, because it's a client. What I really wanted to do was create a hardwired connection for other devices...but my wireless is pretty good so might even lose something trying to do this.

The other area where I'm speaking of I want to place a router. It only has RG6 there now. There's a way to make the back haul wireless or even make it the main router but then others would need to be wireless. Just would work so much better if that area could be hardwired.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    exactly !

Use lines [RJ45 or coax] as much as possible and your network would be robust and reliable !

I did mentioned "baluns" for both ends of your coax … do use a router on other end and all your devices will be on the network