DECA First Look Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Coax Networking (private)' started by Stuart Sweet, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Well folks, here's the DECA First Look. HDTVFan0001 and Dave29 did a great job, and now it's your turn:

DECA First Look

You all know that I am not involved in this trial, so I wasn't able to read for accuracy. My only comment is that there are a lot... a lot of words. I'd like it if about half the words were gone, but if you all think they're necessary to give a good picture of the DECA, then they will stay, of course.

The diagrams are a little fuzzy, because I'm expecting revised ones in PDF format. If these end up being the final versions, I'll export them in a sharper format.

Thanks to everyone who helped so far, and thanks for all the help you'll give in the future!

2. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Stuart....as usual....you have worked your graphical magic. :)

As for the words....there is alot to cover, and Dave29 and I wanted to present things from both the wired and wireless migration perspectives.

With updated diagrams....this should turn out like yet another one of your beautiful pictoral masterpieces - Dave29 and I are grateful that you offered your assistance to make our content look good. :D

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Throughout the document: Remove reference to MRV. Emphasize that DECA provides Ethernet connectivity via coax to all DECA enabled receivers/DVR’s, and that any network functionality is supported via DECA, to include DOD/VOD, network services, etc. Anything that can be done with a wired Ethernet connection can be done via DECA.

First paragraph: Delete reference to MRV. Emphasis should be on networking, not MRV.

Suggested text:
    Stated simply, DECA works in combination with an installed SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch) coax connection to provide for the distribution of broadband network access to all connected devices without the need for Ethernet wiring. In this respect, DECA technology is very similar to MoCA networking.

It is important to note that all units in the DECA “cloud” must be fed from the same SWM port (if using an external SWM5 or SWM8 multiswitch). It is also important to note that you cannot diplex OTA on a DECA enabled system.

The two pages on Migrating: Again, drop the reference to MRV.

Make the focus on DECA, not on MRV. If this is made public before MRV is released, it should be able to stand on it's own. That will also help reduce the length of the text.

4. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Carl, I respectfully disagree.

This will likely not be made public for a number of weeks, and between MRV already being out there once, and likely returning in a few weeks in some form - its important to note the benefits towards MRV performance.

That will ultimately be one of several main reasons DECA will be popular going forward.

98% of the content pertains to DECA at this point, and I believe MRV performance is an important reference point. Certainly, there may be an opportunity to reduce the references....but they play a role here.
    Totally agree that this is a good summation in the first text body Paragraph #1 that should be used in substitute.

Honestly....if 10 different people read the whole thing, we'll get 10 different verbalizations on the contents....but your suggestion is well done and should be used.

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Filter:

Not "stop band", but "band stop" or "notch filter".

6. johern

johern Legend

Jan 18, 2007
    On page 5 the picture labeled as an HR20-700 is actually the HR2o-100 setup and the picture labeled HR20-100 is actually the HR20-700

7. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Good catch...that may have inadvertently happened when photos were moved around a bit in their graphical format.

Thanks.

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Naw, you're just wrong :lol:

Since these are kind of like "super powerline" adapters, maybe focus on networking and "a crack about" future networking things [like MRV, since nobody knows when and it's only been in CE], as this may be posted in the "open" long before MRV is.

9. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    :lol: OK....we just disagree....but I'm not convinced.

Since in the future, there will be a new SWM version which will meld together our componentized test equipment configurations and reduce the number of "parts"....that's all well and good - but the intended purposes of having this equipment are certainly an important factor..and its more than just networking.

As for the timing...I don't have that information, but I do know it is not going to be public all that quickly, so MRV will likely be back in advance of it.
    Thanks VOS...in the DirecTV docs...they actually call it the "SWiM filter", so I would say we should be consistent and use that term.

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    SWM filter makes sense, since this isn't a spec sheet [for the filter].

"its more than just networking." :confused:
    What more than networking is it?
    Is it going to do ANYTHING other than networking? :confused:
    What it IS going to do is give us another networking option than:
    1. Powerline adapters
    2. Cat5/6 cables
    3. Wireless
    4. "And now" coax with the speed of Cat5 and the ease of powerline [and if you call now, I'll double your offer for just shipping and handling] :lol:

11. johern

johern Legend

Jan 18, 2007
    Page 6 Paragraph 3

Suggest changing:

"At this time the HR20-100’s require the use of both Satellite inputs at the receiver to
    power the DECA, this is expected to change in the near future though as the HR21-100 will not supply enough power from “Sat in 1” at this time to power the DECA unit.
    Once connected to the STB, the DECA should respond with the “Power” LED flashing,
    to indicate it is booting up. The C.LINK LED will then flash orange while it searches the
    house for a network, or until it finds other DECAs. "

to

"At this time the HR20-100’s require the use of both Satellite inputs at the receiver to
    power the DECA, as the HR20-100 will not supply enough power from “Sat in 1” at this time to power the DECA unit.

Once connected to the STB, the DECA should respond with the “Power” LED flashing,
    to indicate it is booting up. The C.LINK LED will then flash orange while it searches the
    house for a network, or until it finds other DECAs. "

I'm not sure that the HR20-100 will ever be able to power the DECA from SAT1

12. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    What it is and how it can/will be used are 2 different things and referenced as such.

If you had no such reference...it would prompt the question: "Why would DirecTV want to release this kind of technology"?. Seems reasonable to provide an example, especially since it will be a major beneficiary.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Someone" should also "spoil" diplexing OTA and SWM.

[MRV is stressed too much. While I understand you used this to test, DirecTV2PC could be used too].

14. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Looks good Stuart. You are a graphical genius.

Maybe we should change "stop band filter" to "SWiM Filter". It does say "stop band filter" on it though...........

I also agree that the first paragraph needs to be rephrased with "networking".

15. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Good point. That needs to be done.

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Not to keep raining on your parade, "but" MRV has been around since last Nov. and has yet to show any significant improvement, that would make me think it's "just around the corner" from a national release.

17. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    We actually had some discussions on that topic....when it comes to describing the C.Link colors and how they appear, if anything, we have seen a mixed bag of results. What the various colors actually mean remains an unsolved mystery at this time (all Green, all yellow/orange, combination of the two).

If we were to learn that information, it would indeed be good information to include in that manner.

18. johern

johern Legend

Jan 18, 2007
    That part of the comment was only meant to separate the HR20-100 discussion and cLink light discussion into separate paragraphs. The major part of the suggestion was the change to the HR20-100 discussion.

Sorry if I did not describe it clearly.

19. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Gotcha...and THANK YOU!

The HR20-100 (as we know) requires additional explanation.

20. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Great suggestion!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.