DECA LED's

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Coax Networking (private)' started by RAD, Sep 20, 2009.

1. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Should there be a way to turn off the LED's on the DECA's? When using then in a bedroom environment IMHO they throw off too much light which to some might be distracting.

Maybe a on/off switch, or a push button that would enable them so you could check status could be added. Or maybe have them off for normal status and only light it if there's an error.

What does everyone else think???

2. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Funny that you ask. The other night, was laying in bed, and noticed light on the ceiling and wondered where it was coming from. It was the DECAs that had moved slightly to reflect light upward. I have both the receiver DECA and the network DECA in the bedroom. No big deal here because I just shifted the DECAs slightly but it was a interesting glow. (For the HR2x's throughout the house I have a small piece of tape over 50%-75% of the power and format light.)

3. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Yeah, you can get quite a glow going with DECAs, network switches, flashing network connectors on the back of boxes (like the DVRs), the DVR ring & other lights, Hava, PS3, ...

Electrical tape is your friend.

I had to stop using my homemade network cables on the DVRs as they just added to the glow from the network port. Some commercial cables with end covers (to keep the plastic thingy from breaking off) help.

4. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Yep, I agree with the electrical tape. I even have a piece stuck to the side of the shelf so I can cover the record LED in the Master Bedroom when doing some late night recording.

We really do not know what the released version of this product is going to look like though.

5. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    True, that's why I mentioned it now so they brains could think about it and maybe make a change if possible before production release.

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    While this hasn't been an issue for me, I can see the precedence already being set with the change from the HR20 to HR21. Simply changing the resistor [current limiter] for the LEDs and "it's done".

7. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Black electrical tape.

8. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Its kinda funny that we spent all that time and effort discussing, diagnosing, and trying to find answers on various LED colors...only to lead to a desire for duct tape. :D

9. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Nope, always all green. :D

10. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Me too....and no duct tape (or any other) will ever be used on them here.

11. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I was hesitant to say anything thinking I might jinx myself but I've noticed for the past week my C.Link lights have been green all the time.

12. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    I've made a point of checking them at least 4-5 times a week, just to "spy" on them and see if they sneak into the yellow zone. :D

This includes dormant times, as well as various use patterns and various times of day. Still always green and going strong.

13. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    They all look "smiddy" in my house too! :D

14. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    :D:D:D:D:D:D
    Couldn't use the laugh...that would be another color....

15. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The only change I've really seen has been from changing RF paths/lengths.
    I started with all greens [though one was borderline].
    Changing filter position cause all to change to yellow.
    Changing the filter back has three green with one yellow and stable ever since.